Renting a car in Bermuda

Caymen

Has anyone rented a car in Bermuda? If so where and who do you contact.

The only cars that can be rented in Bermuda are Twizy’s. Small open air electric cars that hold two people. They have to be picked up and dropped off in Hamilton. Their website for information and booking is:

https://www.currentvehicles.com/

Ugh, Twizys. Just what Bermuda needs, more vehicles on the roads.

Whatever you do, don't rent scooters. Every single time I have been to Bermuda I have seen some kind of accident involving a tourist on a scooter. If you're not used to driving on the "wrong" side of the road, it's just not the place to learn. Bermuda has a lot of narrow roads with no clearances on either side. Taxis, bus and ferries are the safest way for visitors to get around.

For $100 a day, if you're there for 3 days, that's $300.....we'll use the bus/ferry system instead!

It is by the day so a lot of people might choose to rent one for 1 day. I don’t think it would make sense on a cruise calling at the Dockyard to rent for 3 days. The most people would rent them for would be 2 days. Arrive on Wednesday and return on Thursday or Friday. So $100 or $200.

I am not advocating for or against renting a Twizy. Time will tell. I probably would not rent one myself for several reasons. I have been to Bermuda so many times, done taxi tours, have future bookings, that I don’t feel an urgent need to rent a vehicle to see more of the Island. Another reason is that I don’t think I want to drive in Bermuda, even if it were a regular car because of the roads there. I have driven in the UK and Aruba where they drive on the left but the roads had shoulders and were pretty flat. Bermuda, no shoulders and lots of winding roads. Finally, they are just rolling these out so I would wait for reviews from cruise ship passengers. Someone has to be first but that is not me.

• 2 weeks later...

We are renting Twizys in June. The reports from last year's cruise passenger renters have been positive. However, there is very little space as the passenger sits in back of the driver. They do give you more protection than a scooter and are faster. The fee is $99.00 per 24 hour period, plus a mandatory $30.00 per day charge for insurance. We are just renting for one day and have reserved and paid online. Should we need to cancel, we must do so 24 hours prior. I understand that residents of Bermuda are asking their government to be able to purchase their own Twizy. Currently, residents are only able to own one car. I have heard from some folks that you must reserve Twizys in advance as they do sell out on cruise ship days.

We are renting Twizys in June. The reports from last year's cruise passenger renters have been positive. However, there is very little space as the passenger sits in back of the driver. They do give you more protection than a scooter and are faster. The fee is $99.00 per 24 hour period, plus a mandatory $30.00 per day charge for insurance. We are just renting for one day and have reserved and paid online. Should we need to cancel, we must do so 24 hours prior. I understand that residents of Bermuda are asking their government to be able to purchase their own Twizy. Currently, residents are only able to own one car. I have heard from some folks that you must reserve Twizys in advance as they do sell out on cruise ship days.

The reports have been positive, but those are from hotel guests. Cruise passengers have only very recently been able to rent them and the summer cruise season only began last week. The logistics will be different than for hotel guests as they can not be picked up or dropped off at the Dockyard, only recharged there. I look forward to reading reports from cruise passengers.