Comparing Azamara to Oceania

jeanine

I'm with you as far as NCL is concerned, but that still does not explain why, with RCCL's deep pockets behind them, AZ has only added one second hand 17 year old vessel since its' two ship inception.

I'm going to hypothesize that both Azamara (Royal Caribbean) and Oceania (NCLH) were caught off guard by Viking's explosive expansion plans, and may believe that this market is going to have a substantial overcapacity as a result of Viking's actions. I have the feeling that both Azamara and Oceania market research indicates insufficient growth in passenger demand in the segment to warrant expansion of their fleets.

When Oceania ordered Marina and Riviera Azamara was still in its infancy and Oceania believed...and rightly so, that there was enough marketplace demand to fill those two larger ships. Thereafter each cruise line only added a single refurbished "R" ship...adding a mere 680 passenger capacity increase to each cruise line, presumably believing they have all the capacity that is warranted. Only time will tell which approach was right...Azamara and Oceania , or Viking.

NCLH's pockets, while not as deep as RCCL's, should be to fund the construction of a small to mid sized ship for Oceania, but chooses not to do so because they don't believe it's warranted, just as RCCL doesn't believe it's warranted for Azamara.

I'm curious from a passenger perspective, what additional areas of the world would Oceania cruise to if they had more ships? I realize Azamara could go a lot more places, but they only have 3 ships. I've also heard from our Oceania PCC that the shipyard where Oceania has their new ships built is busy until 2020 building Regent's new ship.

Been on both lines. They both do a good cruise. Azamara says that you will love where they take you. Silly way to look at it. When I book any cruise, where the cruise goes is important. If the ship isn't sailing where I want to go, I will not book it. If you look at Azamara's brochures, there are lots of glossy photos of land destinations. there are very few photos of the ship. Oceania uses the same type of ship....the R ships. Oceania also has their own original built larger ships, Marina and Riviera. Those ships are truly luxurious. Food is an important feature of any cruise. Azamara has good food. Their specialty restaurants have an extra charge. Oceania has fabulous food in all venues on the ship. No extra fee for specialty restaurants. Azamara includes liquor and tips. If you are not a drinker, Oceania is a better fit. Nondrinkers should not subsidize the drinkers. On Oceania there are fewer drunks. If you like to drink, Azamara is for you. You will probably enjoy a cruise on either line. Pick the cruise that works for you. My next cruise is on Marina.

I'm curious from a passenger perspective, what additional areas of the world would Oceania cruise to if they had more ships? I realize Azamara could go a lot more places, but they only have 3 ships. I've also heard from our Oceania PCC that the shipyard where Oceania has their new ships built is busy until 2020 building Regent's new ship.

For starters, there is the Northwest Passage; then there are a number of rarely visited destinations in Melanesia and Oceania that lines like Ponant have on their itineraries. Would like to see Oceania do detailed itineraries around ALL of Japan and not just Tokyo & Kyoto - like Princess, Crystal and Ponant do.

If you look at a world atlas, there is no end to possibilities. The question is how many people might be interested in visiting some of these out of the way destinations.

I am not eager to cruise on Ponant - would much rather do these types of destinations it on Oceania.

For starters, there is the Northwest Passage; then there are a number of rarely visited destinations in Melanesia and Oceania that lines like Ponant have on their itineraries. Would like to see Oceania do detailed itineraries around ALL of Japan and not just Tokyo & Kyoto - like Princess, Crystal and Ponant do.

If you look at a world atlas, there is no end to possibilities. The question is how many people might be interested in visiting some of these out of the way destinations.

I am not eager to cruise on Ponant - would much rather do these types of destinations it on Oceania.

We definitely would be interested in the Northwest Passage if the price was reasonable. We looked at Crystal's, but $1,000/person/day for a veranda was a little steep for us. I can understand why the price for their maiden voyage was so high, especially if they had to hire an ice breaker to shadow them. However, it will have to come down a fair bit to entice us to go.

I'm going to hypothesize that both Azamara (Royal Caribbean) and Oceania (NCLH) were caught off guard by Viking's explosive expansion plans, and may believe that this market is going to have a substantial overcapacity as a result of Viking's actions. I have the feeling that both Azamara and Oceania market research indicates insufficient growth in passenger demand in the segment to warrant expansion of their fleets.

When Oceania ordered Marina and Riviera Azamara was still in its infancy and Oceania believed...and rightly so, that there was enough marketplace demand to fill those two larger ships. Thereafter each cruise line only added a single refurbished "R" ship...adding a mere 680 passenger capacity increase to each cruise line, presumably believing they have all the capacity that is warranted. Only time will tell which approach was right...Azamara and Oceania , or Viking.

NCLH's pockets, while not as deep as RCCL's, should be to fund the construction of a small to mid sized ship for Oceania, but chooses not to do so because they don't believe it's warranted, just as RCCL doesn't believe it's warranted for Azamara.

I wonder how much Viking thinks it can drag down from the Luxury and mass market end.

Viking also devotes a huge budget to advertising (obvious we see it every day) could the whole market grow and absorb the capacity? I know very many people who wouldn’t consider a vacation...if the advertising finally convinces this group...perhaps it can be absorbed.

Why not try 2020 World cruise segment for Japan. Or Azamara -- they are doing two in 2019.

I do think that O should utilize one of the R ships during the year for some port intensive country or regions (Japan, or Italy, Africa). This thread started with what is the difference between the two lines. As the Azamara President did state for them it is about these special itineraries. I agree,

I think NW Passage (the Canada version) is out in the future for most mass market cruise lines as the Canadian government will be restricting these transit to small ships that are ice rated. The Crystal cruises raised many safety of life issues that would have to be addressed before you see any more big ships doing this transit. This is one of our bucket list items.

We've cruised Azamara once (2009) and are booked on a cruise to the Baltics this August. Since making that more recent booking, we cruised on Marina last September and really liked it, so we are cruising Marina again in November.

From what I have seen, Azamara often does not repeat itineraries. They might do some variations, but most often, don't repeat an exact itinerary, so if you see something that interests you and it doesn't fit in with your schedule, you might not see it again. Oceania seems to repeat itineraries much more often, from year to year.

As for Japan, the Azamara circle Japan itineraries for spring 2019 sold very quickly, so I think they added a couple more for the fall season.

Of course when the servers are sick they can pass the illness to even more people than a passenger can. Periodically restaurant workers have been responsible for exposing customers and coworkers to hepatitis A , such as this recent case at a Michigan Red Lobster: http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2018/02/michigan-posts-25th-hepatitis-a-death-restaurant-worker-sick/#.WtZ78S7wbcs .

When my wife and I were among the passengers who contracted a GI illness while on the Marina earlier this year, one of the buffet servers, who served us at breakfast every day had the GI illness herself, getting ill a day or two before we did. Was she responsible for our getting sick, and possibly for other passengers? There's no way to know, but there's a strong possibility she was at least partially responsible for the GI illness being so widespread.

It's possible. It's the slobs who continually touch food with their hands that disgusts me! I've had customers at a buffet I was running stick their fingers in the food & then in their mouths, One of these disgusting people was the CFO of the company we were serving dinner to. On the ships I'm more concerned as my spouse had a kidney transplant some years back. I get very concerned & upset that a careless pax could potentially cause a deadly infection. I will get in their face about it & won't hesitate to publically shame them in front of everyone around them. Do I worry about getting slugged? No. If they struck me they'd be put off the ship at the next port.

• 2 months later...
Have been on 2 cruises on each line. The food on Azamara is good. The food on Oceania is great.

One plus for Azamara is beverages are included. Decent selection of included wine. They have a red and white wine of the day that is poured for free. We thought they were good. Also, the included spirits were good. Premium brands are and upcharge.

Azamara tries to special in longer port calls including later departures and overnights in port but Oceania also offers this too. It seems to me that Azamara does not offer this as much as they used to. Also the Azamazing Evening is a big deal for many passengers. We were not impressed. It was nice enough but not something we wold have wasted time on normally. I would have rather had an extra shrimp at dinner.

All things being equal would prefer Oceania but would happily sail Azamara again if we liked the itinerary

We have sailed Oceania 4 times & just returned from very enjoyable first Azamara cruise AND I agree with all said in this post. Would emphasize A food is good BUT Oceania food is great!

Be serious.

Azamara is smaller and they do serve food, but they go to very interesting ports.

Oceania, at least the Riviera and Marina are larger and much more luxurious and known for their spectacular food. Their ports are not as interesting.

If you go on the other ships owned by Oceania, they have better ports, but are small like Azamara.

I have sailed on both the R and O ships. I actually prefer the Smaller ships. And food is EXCELLENT on all Oceania ships.

Also, since we don’t drink alcohol, we really don’t like paying extra for something we’re not going to use.

I've been intrigued by some of Azamara Itineraries but the included alcoholic drinks is really a huge negative for us. We also don't drink the 'free' sodas or coffee, but that is not a big cost added to the cruise fare.

Kathleen

I like both Azamara and Oceania. I would happily book either line.

Azamara promotes that you will like where they take you. The ports that they visit are good. They have nice ships.

Oceania promotes the total cruise experience including excursions, wifi, specialty restaurants, interesting lectures, and classes. They visit nice ports too. Oceania also promotes excellent cuisine that is included in all venues. Azamara charges extra for their specialty dining. Azamara fare includes tips and liquor with some exclusions. Oceania doesn't include tips or liquor in their basic fare. Service is excellent on both lines.

Azamara and Oceania sail former R ships which have been updated. Oceania has also built their own ships, Marina and Riviera. Marina and Riviera are outstanding in design. All cabins are huge. The ships are gorgeous.

Choice is tough? Not really. Decide when you want to sail, where you want to go, and how much you plan to spend. Look at both lines cruise schedules, available types of cabins that suit you, compare costs taking into account those features that are important to you. For example, if you drink, the included liquor on Azamara might be for you. If you don't drink, Oceania may be a better choice.

Which cruise ship you choose is important. Being on a cruise, you will eat, sleep, and enjoy the many features of the ship. You might wonder which would be my first choice and why. My next cruise is on Oceania Marina. It fit my schedule and visited some ports that were new to me. The price was attractive. It embarks and disembarks in cities that have good air connections. I also prefer the cabins on the Marina. The R type ships have small cabins and tiny bathrooms. The regular veranda cabin on Oceania Marina/Riviera is really a suite. It is huge. Furnishings are excellent. Bathroom is big with a separate tub and shower. Love the Bvlgari products on Oceania. Oceania has better food than Azamara.

There are also other cruise lines that you might consider. Viking Ocean and Windstar compare well with Azamara and Oceania. There are so many choices. Have fun deciding which cruise is for you. No matter which one you select, have a great time.

...Azamara fare includes tips and liquor with some exclusions. Oceania doesn't include tips or liquor in their basic fare.

Oceania "O Life" includes mealtime alcohol as one of the included perk options. Add $20/day to get unlimited booze.

Another BIG difference is that Oceania also includes airfare or an air credit.