whats the first thing you do when you board the ship?

kroozerj

• 3 weeks later...
Look out the balcony with binoculars at everyone stuck in port, and secretly have a smug laugh at them. Wave to all on passing ferries with a glass of whatever-on-ice.

This is reversed on disembarkation.

58c35eb6e4656f145317f6f876db71c9.jpg

I have a view out over the Harbour and the Ocean, so I often see the cruise ships going out in the evening.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
whats the first thing you do when you board the ship? i like to get on early, drop my bags off in the room, then hit the buffet and watch the people get onboard

I'm usually hungry, so go to the buffet to eat, then I love to go around the ship and check things out.

My mom and I will probably drop off our bags in the cabin and maybe go get something to eat at one of the specialty restaurants where we will enjoy at least a glass of wine and toast to quality mom/daughter time for a week. Then we'll probably either explore or head back to the cabin to unpack and get ready for muster. Then head up top for sail away and a glass of champagne.

Here is what happened to me on my last cruise:

1. Go to the deck where my cabin was.
  2. See posting that the passenger access isn't allowed while they are preparing the cabins
  3. Go up to the pool deck
  4. Get a hamburger
  5. Hear announcement that the cabin is ready.
  6. Go to back to cabin and drop off carry-ons.
  7. Change into swim trunks
  8. Go back up to pool deck
  9. Enjoy Jacuzzi

Since we get to the port too early for access to our cabin, we usually get a bite to eat and then change into our bathing suits and enjoy having the pool to ourselves or with very few people. This is usually the only time we get to enjoy the pools because they are usually too crowded to enter on the sea days. Around 3:00 we go to our cabin and unpack our suitcases if they have arrived (after I wipe down the surfaces) and put the remote in a plastic bag. After reading the materials left in our cabin, we “check out” the ship before the muster drill...then hurry back for a quick shower before dinner and the show.

Happy cruising everyone:)

find closest smoking area - get a drink and relax - carry on next to me if daughter wants to go swimming but usually she is just exploring the ship - then watch people - after sail away (and several drinks and ciggs) is when I wipe down all surfaces and unpack - its vacation so rule #1 - NO RUSHING

• 2 months later...

If our cabin is available to hold our hand carry items we throw them in the closet (after putting valuables in the safe) and take care of anything that will create a line as more passengers get aboard (specialty dinner reservations, introducing ourselves to the head waiter and requesting a table of our choice if the MDR allows reserving a table and then if the tour desk is open make sure any tours we've prepaid are still a go. I make it a point to travel in nice jeans and a sport jacket and can tell you that when boarding a cruise ship first impressions can make a difference ;) . If guest services has a short line I'll jokingly tell the staff that should a suite not be booked we wouldn't object to an 'involuntarily' upgrade with compliments of the line :) . Laugh all you want, it worked once for us :eek: .

Then we grab a bite to eat along with a cocktail or three and start meeting fellow travelers. Let the voyage begin.

I first head to my cabin (if they're open) to drop off carry-ons, read the daily blab, and then take a nap until the muster drill calls start. If the cabins aren't available yet, I explore the buffet, then wander/explore the ship until they are. After the muster drill, I go to the sail-away only long enough to pass under what ever bride we're going to pass under, the return to the cabin to resume my nap. It really is all about the naps.

I am not calm until I am all settled in, so I disinfect with my Clorox wipeys (don’t judge ;-) ), unpack, scan the Compass, call my mother and let her know I am okay (apparently, this type of thing knows no age limit), take happy pictures of the cabin, have lunch if possible then head to the deck for a drink and sail away.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I’m glad to see I am not the only one that wipes the room down. I keep them in my carry on bag so that if the luggage isn’t there I can wipe the remotes, the phones, door knobs, stools, the railing on the balcony, sink and shower handles. I know that the stateroom attendants do a good job but I do this every time and so far we have never gotten sick.

Howard Hughes would have probably done the same thing.

My question for those that really worry about germs and certainly not to poke fun at those that do is, what happens if you decide to leave your cabin after you've sanitized it?

If any of us want to avoid exposure to germs (don't forget there are both good and bad ones) using [any] public transportation to get to your departure port would be a good place to start.