Booking QM2 a mistake

steilkurve

Thanks! Can you get special orders in PG?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We always sail PG or QG and I have had not had a problem ordering off menu at either. Most of my special orders consist of flambe desserts though - I get such a kick out of them.

How did you like the Fantasy?

Guest SilverHengroen

I most definitely wouldn’t let the naysayers put you off, go and enjoy it - and then come back and tell us what a wonderful time you’ve had :) Of course nothing is perfect, but I think the people who claim to have had terrible experiences either went into it with unrealistic expectations in the first place, are serial whingers who simply can’t be pleased, or else had the misfortune of being the exception to the rule of having a very good time!

How did you like the Fantasy?

Assume you mean Disney Fantasy (as we have sailed Carnival’s decades ago now!). Quite liked it. We said we’d try the line again. May wait for the new ships they’ve ordered.

If you spend lots of time on WiFi then you may have a problem. It’s expensive and slow.

But if you just download emails and books to your Kindle then you will manage.

For us, the QM2 is a welcome break from a connected world and 7 days haven away from it all as we passage to New York.

Assume you mean Disney Fantasy (as we have sailed Carnival’s decades ago now!). Quite liked it. We said we’d try the line again. May wait for the new ships they’ve ordered.

I really like the Disney service. We stick strictly to the adult areas and have only been on Dream and Magic. A cast member jokingly told me they built the Dream, then they built the Fantasy a bit differently, correcting the few errors they had made on the 1st of those 2 larger ships :D :DWe sail concierge with Disney and it is great for sure - but the only thing missing is the separate restaurant. I am trying my 1st "longer" Disney voyage next year - 7 days on the newly refitted Magic to New England and Canada. Perhaps since they will have so many ships to fill the price will go down? :confused: HAHAHAHA. yeah okay.

When we go PG we order off the menu several times - often flambe dessert as I mentioned. One time the staff thought it was pretty fun and started making up things to light on fire for dessert - one night I think they put strawberries in liquor - lit it on fire and served fresh whipped cream over it, then brought me a little scone to go on the side. But it tasted great. I also love risotto and never make it at home, so I have occasionally asked both the PG or QG to make a mushroom risotto or a primavera type risotto which they happily do. I guess they figure if that is the hardest thing I ask for, then it is easy! The staff in the Grills will learn your preferences (such as no bread, espresso after dinner with some ginger, how you like your steak cooked ...) very quickly!

I am not sure what you mean by your last sentence - Suites on the Queen Mary 2 are not just "larger cabins". You have an entire separate restaurant with different menus and options, a table assigned to just you, and choose your dining time each night, your lunch each day, etc. There are free drinks (2 bottles of liquor, and unlimited bottled water) offered in the QG suites in your stateroom, there is a lounge with nice private concerts on many nights, a separate afternoon tea which is a superb upgrade from the Queen's Room tea, and a nice private sundeck. The fact that you can dine when you want and order just about whatever you want (with a little notice) is certainly not something you get in non - Grills cabins.

P.S. Suites on cruise ships are just larger cabins, larger gimmicks, and more waste of money. The QM2 is a one-class ship, so suite guests should not expect those obnoxious privileges that can be found in bogus luxury reservations on some lower class cruise lines.

Enjoy you sea travel on the QM2.

Cunard ships do have real suites, but I agree that most of the Grill suites are indeed just large cabins. As for suite guests not expecting obnoxious privileges, when I have travelled in the Grills and the Britannia Club I have a reasonable expectation to receive what I have been promised for the higher fare. I find nothing obnoxious about a single-sitting restaurant. In the days when almost all liners offered two or even three distinct classes, it was rare that First Class did not have a single-seating restaurant. P&O, as I recall, was one of the few that had two sittings in First.

It is the amenities that have enticed me to pay for the Grills when we have been able to do so, not the larger cabins, although I admit the extra space and larger balcony is lovely. Axelskater in posting #33 has outlined the benefits of the upgraded parts of the ships so I need not repeat them.

Don’t expect a good WiFi connection at sea. It may happen, but not in my experience. At best, it is slow.

This is true on most ships. If internet is free, then this is less annoying,

Nothing will stream in anyship I have been on.

Hello. Got a deposit on the Queen Mary cruise this summer. Not too late to cancel and recoup my deposit. Really excited about going, but reading the reviews (including of the Grills which we booked) and we’re now having second thoughts. Is the ship really plagued with issues such as lack of hot water, bad WiFi and intermittent toilet system as well as bad food, even in the Grills (folks say it’s bland)? I mean the Grills is not inexpensive and I’m OK to put up with a few glitches but at that price point there is a minimum standard I am expecting. Thoughts welcome.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have not even bothered looking at any of the recent critiques on Cunard Queen Mary 2. We have sailed with Cunard 19 times and on QM2 7 times, the last being Christmas & New Years 2017-New York to Caribbean back to New York. We have been VERY fortunate to have stayed in many types of cabins on her: from Inside Britannia IA, Balcony Britannia BU & BB, Princess Grill P1 & P2 up to Queens Grill Q4. We loved the experience every time. Nothing is perfect. Problems arise everywhere. B

ut if you raise the problem properly Cunard do all they can to remedy the problem. Many members on here like to moan yet seldom are complimentary. IMO its just a matter of getting a balance! I would say "stress not, I am sure you will love it" (There are some dress code changes in the pipeline but its early days yet)

• 3 weeks later...

We’re on the full world cruise. We’ve had 100 days onboard the QM and have blogged about it at martinandjansjourney.com. My advice is to ignore melodramatic reviews which talk of leaving the ship early and which report a litany of apocryphal inadequacies. The QM2 is not perfect. But it generally provides outstanding value for money.

Sent from my iPad using Forums