Do you barter the price when buying your souvenirs?

rmf11699

I 'barter' and 'haggle' in North Africa and the Middle East only...seems to be the done thing there. My mum taught me how to do it well as she lived in Israel for just under a year.

Never done it in a cruise port at all but would if I had cruised to those destinations.

I don't really like buying anything tacky though so give most typical souvenir places a miss.

I’ve not actually ever shopped at diamonds international. Was using that more as a point of reference as a ‘corporate’ type store since someone else said they don’t negotiate. But I’ve not had an trouble having local stores in Mexico be willing to negotiate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just like car dealerships in the US - or other large ticket items - jewelry stores often negotiate and have a very high retail price. Even on the ship the jewelry staff will have their calculators to show the discount you are getting versus the listed price. I've mentioned that I'm just looking, but they still want to try to make a sale.

I was coming back from a Bob Marley bus tour obviously in Jamaica, and a vendor was selling Bob Marley tee shirts. I was going to buy one and the $10 listed price was not going to be a big deal to me. Before I could say yes, the vendor came down $2. So I got change when I gave her a $10 bill.

(And much later I discovered my Jamaica Bob Marley shirt was made in China. But isn't everything these days.)

Let's say you're in some Caribbean port and you go into a shop to buy souvenirs. You shop for a half hour for coffee mugs, t-shirts, key chains etc. Do you pay the listed price for all the items or try to negotiate a better deal for the lot?

Depends. Jamaica, always haggle, even in stores, got a painting for $35 less than asking, and DW's purchases in the store across the way got about 20% off her purchase of trinkets to bring back.

Cayman Island, haggle if they seem like they will, but probably not.

Key West, haggle if you are buying several items, even in the stores.

So it really depends on how much you are buying. I know we bought a bunch of shirts in KW one year when we drove down there, ended up getting them at 50% off because we chose to get them all at the same shop.

In St Thomas we bought a ring for me as a "dressy" wedding ring in one of the major jewelry stores. Haggled the price down decently.

If you don't try, you will never know. And you will know quickly if they don't barter.

I've mentioned that I'm just looking, but they still want to try to make a sale.

I picked up a dragon carved out of gum tree and the seller told me it was $20. I wasn't really planning on buying it anyway so I put it back, he told me $15. I said that was OK and kept looking. He came over and offered it to me for $10 and I said no thanks. As we were walking out to the jeep he ran over with it in hand and offered it to me for $5.

It's nice, but not that great, but it is still sitting on a shelf in the foyer right beside other hand carved items we have picked up over the years. It just goes to show that sometimes the haggling can be very weird.

Just like car dealerships in the US - or other large ticket items - jewelry stores often negotiate and have a very high retail price. Even on the ship the jewelry staff will have their calculators to show the discount you are getting versus the listed price. I've mentioned that I'm just looking, but they still want to try to make a sale.

Exactly. Very well-said.

I also negotiate at straw markets and outdoor stalls. For those who want to pay full price, go for it!