Amawaterways

gbits

No definitive plans yet, thinking ahead to 2020. We are in our early 50s - love the fact that Ama offers tours for active cruisers but hubby wants to stick with ocean cruises for awhile [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There are many river cruises in Europe, which offer the possibility of biking. For example you can drive along the river on the bike offered by the cruise company during some hours and meet the ship at a different port. Very easy to do. I am sure you can find those river cruises at reasonable prices looking at the internet.

The cruises with Belmond in Myanmar included excursions and activities. One activity they offered was also touring Bagang early in the morning by bike. The guide who was accompanying this tour is very knowledgeable and loves to bike. Since you have time, you could also research on that company.

Ivi

• 4 weeks later...

Ama does a nice cruise. Viking is also a nice choice. Viking has fewer frills. If you don't need bikes, fitness center, hot tub, or hair dalon, Viking is an excellent choice. Uniworld decor turns me off. Too much glitter. Haven't done Cystal riverboat yet. Crystal looks interesting. Not a fan of Tauck tours.

We encountered low river levels in Germany on the Rhine. It happens so often that the major river lines (including Viking) have procedures in place to completely swap out ships. On our fourteen day Grand European we switched midcruise to get around a bottleneck in the Regensburg area.

Viking longboats are particularly vulnerable because they pack 190 passengers on each sailing. Lots of extra weight.

Since you brought up water levels:

Even with low water, the Rhine has remained navigable as long as there have been hotel boats. The upper stretches of the Danube between Regensburg and Passau are sometimes too low. That's where Viking switched boats. You probably took a cruise from the Rhine river, then the Main River, then the canal that connects the Main with the Danube south to the Danube proper. That is a wonderful cruise!

I know I am a stickler for geography. ;-)

We did an AMA river cruise in Myanmar. Couldn't have asked for better service. We did Viking in China and had a wonderful experience and then did one with them in Europe, and found that the service in China was way superior. Viking also changed the ship we were supposed to be on and we ended up with a cabin on the lowest deck. Not impressed. You could hear the engines of all the other ships going by.. If you book a river cruise do not take a cabin that is on the bottom deck. Too noisy.

Agree with above.

AMA is a step above Viking (river cruises).

That said, there is really no comparison between river and ocean cruises in any way,

Also, IMO AMA>Viking just as Oceania>HAL.

True words.... I just got back from Europe France and Germany and was amazed to see the scores of riverboat ( barges really with a restaurant and cabins. Mobs crowding off into a fleet of busses.. not very attractive. River cruse appears one step above bus tours... . Not even in the same league as a ocean cruise.

As to river cruising in general, I cant see the value, You are forced to stop at over-used over crowded cities, Herded like cattle ashore and back. Why would you want to do that???

A person with just the basic driving skills cal drive all over Europe, stop in fun spots eat in bistros to Michelin * In 7 days I was able to fly to paris train to lyon, drive to see the alps, travel the Rhone river, eat in wonderful restaurants, travel up to the french chateau country and stay along the loire river and finish with2 days in Paris... all for 1/2 the cost of a River cruise....

Dan;

I agree with you on several issues you posted, especially for cruises in France, Germany, and Austria. I would make the same comments about ocean cruises that circumnavigate Great Britain or parts of Europe.

However, here are some points:

1. You only pack and unpack once.

2. There are some Oceania cruisers, at their current ages, that I doubt drive very far from their House now . I don’t see them driving through strange large cities with signage they may not be able to read.

3. I am constantly amazed at the number of O cruisers that eat all their meals aboard ship . Plus, their personal selections are typically Americanized. I don’t see many of those cruisers taking a land trip where they may have to “suffer “ French, German, or Russian food 3 meals a day for a week. What would they do if they couldn’t find a Subway or Burger King to eat in?

4. Many O cruisers don’t get off the ship now unless Mother O takes them by the hands, gets them on their tour bus, shows them around with a guide perfectly fluent in English, and delivers them back to the ship at the destination time. How is that different from river cruises?

We vastly prefer Uniworld over Viking. Not even in the same class, kind of like comparing Oceania to Carnival. Uniworld has great food, and grasp this. They go shopping for fresh produce nearly everyday. What’s for dinner is not preset, but based upon what the chef finds in the markets on that day. For those Americans, that demand only to eat American, Uniworld has a daily dinner selection of steak, chicken, or salmon. For the rest of us, their local chefs prepare authentic local dishes of the regions they are passing through. Real Beef Burgundy, with Burgundian whites as you pass through. Real Wiener Schnitzel, succulently prepared, not like the same named schnitzel made in the Terrace that may be Omaha schnitzel or Miami schnitzel but definitely not Vienna Schnitzel. That paired with a nice Austrian wine, not whatever they got on a deal from SA!

River cruising on lines like Uniworld is not only a different experience from the Vikings, but from ocean cruising likewise.

Here’s the last bonus for us, with a max of 150 cruisers on the ship, the CD and crew get to know the passengers quickly. If someone is one of those that constantly holds a tour group up, the next day they are quickly put on busses with other same slow walkers, so not to affect the other passengers tours. Something very non Oceania.

We've taken 2 AMA river cruises and have a 3rd one planned for next year. We love AMA. River cruising is a great experience and we try to plan our travels around ocean cruising, river cruising and land tours. All wonderful options.

We never felt like herded cattle, or experience mob crowding and being jammed into busses, or experience crowds at the ports we visited. We visited some really charming small towns and villages along the way. Part of the charm of river cruising is to be on deck and see some beautiful, small villages and castles drift by, along with some truly magnificent landscapes.

Edited by nyfeds

We've taken 2 AMA river cruises and have a 3rd one planned for next year. We love AMA. River cruising is a great experience and we try to plan our travels around ocean cruising, river cruising and land tours. All wonderful options.

We never felt like herded cattle, or experience mob crowding and being jammed into busses, or experience crowds at the ports we visited. We visited some really charming small towns and villages along the way. Part of the charm of river cruising is to be on deck and see some beautiful, small villages and castles drift by, along with some truly magnificent landscapes.

We have signed up for an AMA Christmas markets cruise. This seemed a good choice for our first as it was less expensive, I love Christmas markets and it is generally off season so the crowds, even with the markets, should be less. Of course, it will be cold, etc. I feel much more comfortable now with your rave review. Having so much of my time structured is a concern, however, your comment about viewing the villages as you go by is a big plus for me.

Kathleen

We have signed up for an AMA Christmas markets cruise. This seemed a good choice for our first as it was less expensive, I love Christmas markets and it is generally off season so the crowds, even with the markets, should be less. Of course, it will be cold, etc. I feel much more comfortable now with your rave review. Having so much of my time structured is a concern, however, your comment about viewing the villages as you go by is a big plus for me.

Kathleen

Hi Kathleen,

Have a wonderful time! I hear the Christmas Markets are great!

Denise

Kathleen

I would do some reading on the river cruise forum

Yes some of your time is structured

the meals are only served certain hours

if you want to do the ships tour usually walking tour they are only an hour or so then you are free to do as you please just be back onboard before the ship sails

We did a Scenic tours trip rafted up ONCE & it was only for 2 hrs while an Avalon ship took passengers off for their tours & they were the ones that had to walk though our boat to get ashore

we found most ports we were the only boat in... not hundreds of people dumped at the port

river cruising is a different animal than Ocean cruises

Enjoy

PS take some warm clothing mitts, hats & a good waterproof boot/shoes our friend went & they had several inches of snow ..be prepared

Except for the cabin decor

Scenic tours is also good

I should have also said we have dear friends who really like their AMA river cruises. (They have not tried Uniworld, and were have not tried AMA yet.)