Onboard shops

Missymssy

Are cigarettes available to purchase onboard? What about over-the-counter meds, such as cold medicine?

No smoking materials are available ! It’s no smoking ship except in the designated smoking area on deck 8! We Love it ! Thank You Viking! I have a question - why would you buy cold medicine aboard a ship and pay 4 times the amount . The ship’s are in port almost every day , have someone in your party go ashore and get what you need and save a fortune!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

As a retired trauma RN, DW ensures we travel with a well stocked first aid kit and small pharmacy. Our next cruise is a world cruise, so she will be well stocked for most eventualities.

If you think you might need it, suggest you bring it with you from home. With only limited time in ports, we prefer to sight-see rather than looking for stores.

As a retired trauma RN, DW ensures we travel with a well stocked first aid kit and small pharmacy. Our next cruise is a world cruise, so she will be well stocked for most eventualities.

If you think you might need it, suggest you bring it with you from home. With only limited time in ports, we prefer to sight-see rather than looking for stores.

Andy,

On a World Cruise, depending on the ports, you might try and succeed in finding a pharmacy but good luck reading the labels.... Or being able to converse with the pharmacist. :eek: We shipped a bunch of stuff in our shipped bags. Only thing we ran out of was Ricola and Vitamin C. :cool:

Andy,

On a World Cruise, depending on the ports, you might try and succeed in finding a pharmacy but good luck reading the labels.... Or being able to converse with the pharmacist. :eek: We shipped a bunch of stuff in our shipped bags. Only thing we ran out of was Ricola and Vitamin C. :cool:

Jim,

On our previous WC, Judi replenished her supplies in Dubai, as we had an overnight. Our son lived there at the time, so after lunch he took her to a pharmacy where she purchased a good selection of OTC & prescription meds (no prescriptions required in Dubai).

While the names in many countries do change (even between Canada & US), she has a fairly good knowledge of the drug names in Canada, US & UK, so can generally can converse with most pharmacists. With the re-supply, I don't recall her running short, we actually took a fair bit back home.

Next WC, we by-pass the Persian Gulf, so I'm sure she will stock up before leaving.

I knew you guys had it figured out. I still wish I had taken a picture somewhere in Indonesia in a pharmacy of something we thought might be mouthwash but it had a picture of a lizard on it..... Lizard repellent? Or maybe you need this. Your breath smells like a lizard..... The things you learn on a WC..;p

I knew you guys had it figured out. I still wish I had taken a picture somewhere in Indonesia in a pharmacy of something we thought might be mouthwash but it had a picture of a lizard on it..... Lizard repellent? Or maybe you need this. Your breath smells like a lizard..... The things you learn on a WC..;p

Ha Ha - we have seen this a few times as well.

With the next WC not stopping in Dubai, we will stock up on OTC stuff and our prescription meds. DW also gets the travel clinic or the family doc to give her prescriptions for a couple of the common wide spectrum anti-biotics.

Our pharmacist daughter just returned from her best friends wedding in France. While there (week long affair), she visited a pharmacy and found drugs there otc for $10 that in the States are prescription only and cost $800!!! Same exact drugs, same American manufacturers. If you know what you are looking for, and know your costs, you may save yourself some significant money shopping overseas.

Our pharmacist daughter just returned from her best friends wedding in France. While there (week long affair), she visited a pharmacy and found drugs there otc for $10 that in the States are prescription only and cost $800!!! Same exact drugs, same American manufacturers. If you know what you are looking for, and know your costs, you may save yourself some significant money shopping overseas.

What does that tell you about the drug industry? Made in the USA and sold cheaper (often very much cheaper) in other countries.

My drug bag / first aid kit is is a great LLbean large toiletry bag https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/73884?page=personal-organizer-toiletry-bag-family-size&bc=&feat=toiletry-SR0&csp=a&searchTerm=toiletry...it does weigh 10 lbs packed....but we are not the couple who can figure out how travel for 6 weeks with only a carry-on! I have finally been smart enough to keep a list of what goes in here and re-stock after each trip and it is always ready to go....we keep it on the boat in summer for trips too! It fit perfectly under the sink in our DV stateroom and fortunately came home almost complete....we stayed healthy!!!