Passport question

FraserK

Hi

Now please forgive me in advance but we have never cruised before!! Do you need to take your passport with you every time you go ashore? Never like carrying my passport around when abroad and would have been happier to leave it in a safe place but if it has to be???

Thanks

Kat

Some places require it.

Your daily newspaper (Horizon) which is delivered to your cabin every evening with the programme for the following day, will tell you when it’s necessary. Sometimes a photo-ID, like driving licence, will do, sometimes you don’t need take anything

Have a great cruise

Hi

Now please forgive me in advance but we have never cruised before!! Do you need to take your passport with you every time you go ashore? Never like carrying my passport around when abroad and would have been happier to leave it in a safe place but if it has to be???

Thanks

Kat

In our experience No.

The cruise lines daily news letter will say if you need to take your passport and often in Italian ports they say that but after 45 cruises we have only been asked once for our passports.

I have colour photocopies of our passport photo page which we always carry with us when going ashore.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Unless you are specifically told you need to take it ashore, leave it in your cabin safe. In the very unlikely event that you miss the ship, the ship's security team will take your passport from the safe and give it to the shore agent for you to collect. Details of the shore agent are posted in the Horizon newsagent- I take a photo of the details on my phone, so they are to hand if the worst happens.

Losing or having your passport stolen when ashore will pose big problems for you for the rest of the cruise, which is why it is not worth the risk of taking it ashore with you, especially as it will not be needed.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

It is becoming increasingly so that you are asked to carry them. Recently Amsterdam and La Rochelle were ports were you had to show them. The latter causing long queues. However you are always told in the Horizon.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Depends where you are going. You won't get into Russia without it and there was also no choice in Germany last year.

Take a photo of your passport photo page on each mobile phone and a colour print which stays in your luggage.

If it does get lost it is far easier to replace with these details to hand.

Also ensure your insurance covers replacement costs. It can get expensive very quickly to get a new temporary permit to travel, which costs about the same as a passport and you then have to pay for a new passport.

As others have stated, Horizon newsletter always states if you need to take passports ashore. Whilst it is a pain to have to take them, especially when in the vast majority of cases you are never asked to show them, it is advisable in these ports. If you get to the exit from the port and don’t have it, it’s a pain to have to go back to the cabin. Also, if something happened ashore and local regulations require that tourists carry them, you might have some issues. We have also been asked to show passports in France recently.

Just been to Cadiz, Vigo, Cartagena, Valencia, Gibraltar, Lisbon. It was only in Lisbon that we were asked to take our passports.

We were advised that this was required by the port authorities.

Make sure your Ehic card is still in date.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

And if you do need to renew, make sure you go to the official Gov.uk site. If you are asked to pay, you are on the wrong site as they are free. We got caught out when in a hurry to renew and paid an intermediary to do what we could have done ourselves!

It's a bit hit and miss. We have done 2 cruises on P&O

Our 1st on Britannia to the Fjords all we required at every port was our room card/key. On our 2nd to Spain and France we were required at every port to take our passports.

I guess with terrorism threats these days, passports are more of a must

There are some countries in which it is a legal requirement to carry identity documents at all times. A police officer can ask you to produce them at any time and you may be arrested if you cannot. Your passport acts as such a document.

It's a bit hit and miss. We have done 2 cruises on P&O

Our 1st on Britannia to the Fjords all we required at every port was our room card/key. On our 2nd to Spain and France we were required at every port to take our passports.

I guess with terrorism threats these days, passports are more of a must

Weren't required last year when we stopped in Spain. Guess it just depends on the situation at the time.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app