MSC - Seaside Discriminatory practices with single travelers

cruisertc

I contacted MSC to make a reservation as the website seemed to be acting up, every time I entered one traveler for the 2 sailing dates I preferred the website wouldn't allow me to continue. When I called I was informed the cruises I had selected (2 different dates) were not available for single occupancy. I was stunned as I have never had this issue come up with other cruise lines. I asked for an explanation as I I was aware and willing to pay a fare based on double occupancy, but would be traveling solo. I wasn't looking for a discount and understand the supplement for single occupancy. The reservationist told me solo travel was not allowed for the dates I had selected. I inquired what the reasoning was and the representative told me the rooms are made for only 2 people (seriously). I said they may hold two people but why couldn't one person occupy a double room, would the balance be off? I asked to speak with a supervisor as this explanation didn't make sense to me. After holding for 15 minutes, I was told that no one would be available today and they could call me back another day. Not sure who the target market is for MSC, but certainly isn't single travelers. Sadly they can not fill a brand new ship during the height of season with discounted rates. Perhaps they should review policies. If you are a single traveler, I would look elsewhere.

If you’re paying a 200% supplement anyway, might as well book a second imaginary person, and then let that person be a “no show” on embarkation day.

This practice that you’re describing does seem odd but it’s not unheard of. Several cruise lines will place a “maximum occupancy restriction” on some sailings where they will not sell a cabin unless all beds in it will be filled to max capacity (for example they won’t sell a quad if only 2 or 3 people will be in it). I wonder if MSC is applying a similar rule in your case.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I contacted MSC to make a reservation as the website seemed to be acting up, every time I entered one traveler for the 2 sailing dates I preferred the website wouldn't allow me to continue. When I called I was informed the cruises I had selected (2 different dates) were not available for single occupancy. I was stunned as I have never had this issue come up with other cruise lines. I asked for an explanation as I I was aware and willing to pay a fare based on double occupancy, but would be traveling solo. I wasn't looking for a discount and understand the supplement for single occupancy. The reservationist told me solo travel was not allowed for the dates I had selected. I inquired what the reasoning was and the representative told me the rooms are made for only 2 people (seriously). I said they may hold two people but why couldn't one person occupy a double room, would the balance be off? I asked to speak with a supervisor as this explanation didn't make sense to me. After holding for 15 minutes, I was told that no one would be available today and they could call me back another day. Not sure who the target market is for MSC, but certainly isn't single travelers. Sadly they can not fill a brand new ship during the height of season with discounted rates. Perhaps they should review policies. If you are a single traveler, I would look elsewhere.

I have had the same trouble booking MSC (or at lease checking on availability for MSC cruises) in the past but I finally learned the reason from something my travel agent said. MSC apparently has a policy of limiting the number of solo bookings on each cruise (it was referred to as "capacity controlled" or a similar phrase). Although solos pay double the fare, they do not spend as much as two passengers, who would buy more drinks, more specialty dinners, more excursions, more spa treatments, more merchandise at gift shops, etc. Although one person will not eat as much as two people so the cruise line saves on food, it probably does not help much as the ship still needs to stock enough food for a full ship regardless of the number of people on a specific sailing and, more importantly, the staffing costs remain the same. The bottom line is that the cruise line does prefer two passengers (or more) in each cabin for financial reasons as long as the ship can sail full (which apparently most cruise ships do now). (I hope MSC's practice of limiting solos does not spread to other cruise lines, but I suspect it is only a matter of time.)

The solution: although the solo cabins are "capacity controlled" (and therefore limited on each sailing), they are available. I think the key is to book well in advance (my reservation is for November 2019--17 months from now. It may also help to use a travel agent or, perhaps, be a Voyager Club member (I had sailed before on MSC years ago but had not signed up to be a member until my travel agent told me to).

I would not give up on sailing MSC, if I were you. I enjoyed both my cruises on her ships so far (Poesia and Divina) and am looking forward to sailing on the Seaside. Good luck getting the cruise you want no matter which cruise line.

Thanks for the suggestion. However falsifying travel documents doesn't seem like a logical approach. The cruise line or gov't agencies could always deny boarding as travel documents, passports, etc. do not match the traveler. Although, traveling solo requires a 200% supplement, a solo traveler is only required to pay taxes, port fees and gratuities for one person.

Thanks for the suggestion. However falsifying travel documents doesn't seem like a logical approach. The cruise line or gov't agencies could always deny boarding as travel documents, passports, etc. do not match the traveler. Although, traveling solo requires a 200% supplement, a solo traveler is only required to pay taxes, port fees and gratuities for one person.

The suggestion is based on a myriad of situations when people legitimately book 2 guests, but for whatever reason, one of the two guests is unable to cruise and the booking is inside penalty and close to sailing date when the cancelation penalty is 100%. At that point in time, their options are to cancel one guest, get charged the full penalty, and pay a single supplement on top of that, OR, wait until sail date and have that one guest be a no show. In that case, taxes and port fees for the no show guest will be fully refundable.

Maybe saying that you should book an imaginary person with bogus information isn’t good advice, but booking two real people, one who “can’t make it” at the last minute, is a legitimate situation and not one where you’ll be falsifying documentation.

I do understand your apprehension about booking your cruise this way in order to cruise solo, but it’s not a process that is unheard of. If you wish to have confirmation from MSC that this won’t backfire on you, I would recommend calling them and telling them that you wish to book a cruise for 2, but that one of the two guests may need to cancel close to departure and see what they tell you.

Happy sailing!

Maybe saying that you should book an imaginary person with bogus information isn’t good advice, but booking two real people, one who “can’t make it” at the last minute, is a legitimate situation and not one where you’ll be falsifying documentation.

Have had to book a "second person" many times to sail a single cabin on MSC. Not an issue at all at the pier. Just FYI...

Bret

When I booked my cruise (use a TA), she was informed that I couldn't book solo so had to book a 2nd passenger and then say he was a no show at check in. Since it had to be booked this way I had to pay taxes and fees on 2nd booking and then get reimbursed post cruise. I returned March 10th and still waiting for the refund. My TA has contacted them a few times. I would still sail MSC

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

I have been on two cruises, both with Royal Caribbean, one solo and one with my Son. I am cruising on the MSC Seaview this June solo. On RC, I had no issues going solo, but after the cruise told the company that they should have solo cabins, as sometime people do travel alone. They said they were looking into that. Some years later, they have started offering solo cabins on the Quantum class and I believe on the Oasis class. The only problem is that many times the solo cabins are way more than double the cost, and it is cheaper to book a normal cabin! When I booked my cruise on the MSC Seaview inside Fantastica cabin I had no issues booking my cabin, and also upgraded my cabin to YC and still no problems or issues. The issues with solo cruisers arise because the cruise lines are squeezing every penny profit, and as stated in an earlier post, they sell less drinks, excursions etc to a solo cruiser than a couple traveling together in a cabin. Still makes us feel "less important" when this does happen.

I also tried to book a single cabin and was actually told by an MSC agent to book a second person and then have the person be a no show. I wasn't comfortable with it but booked it that way. I kept watching my sailing and doing mock single bookings on line and at one point I was able to get a single. I called my travel agent the same day and they were able to switch my cabin to a single. The cost was a bit less but not by much but I felt better having the correct documents.

Maureen,

Have you had any issues getting the taxes and port fees refunded for your niece?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Honestly, I can't recall. I don't even mention her when I check in. If they were to ask, I would say she had to cancel last minute. I don't like to lie, but... Taxes and port fees are like $100? Even if I was charged, I would consider that an excellent price.

I really don't see what the flap is about. Six girlfriends and I just booked seven yacht club suites as solos with no single supplement on MSC Seaside. We're going to have a fabulous girlfriends cruise. Works for me and way cheaper than what I would pay for a suite on Celebrity--even if I had to pay full price.

I really don't see what the flap is about..

It seems like you’re cruising on a sailing that’s underselling which is why the single supplement was waived and that’s why you got that deal. In the OP’s case, the sailing that she’s interested in is not offering single cabins, yacht club or not so her predicament is different than yours.

So to answer your question, the “flap” is that the OP is unable to make a booking. I’m pretty sure that if you were planning a girlfriends cruise but were unable to book it once you narrowed it down to a specific cruise line, ship and date, you wouldn’t be asking this question.

[...]the “flap” is that the OP is unable to make a booking. [...]

Untrue. OP can make a booking for two people and go alone, but they don't want to. They feel discriminated against and are advising other solo travelers to avoid MSC, avoiding it themselves as well, I assume.

If someone doesn't want to cruise MSC (especially a solo traveler) that's a plus for me, as solo traveler who would rather be on a cruise with people excited about the brand and excited to be there than the opposite. Especially early on in the booking process when you can book solo cabins the "normal" way, the less people who want them the easier it is for me to get one.

I'll never understand why people try to convince people to go on a cruise or on a cruiseline that they came here venting about. If you don't want to go on MSC, don't. Not my circus, not my monkeys. I'll go solo and I'll have a fabulous time.

Flag Fan has it exactly right. It is all about money. What I can't figure out is at what point they decide to start excluding solos. I can get a stateroom usually if I book 18 to 24 months out, but was told by MSC my member status had nothing to do with it. You also want to be careful what you wish for. The MSC Bellissima is a case in point. They now have studios available just for singles. Hurrah...right? Well my experience (and I welcome anyone's contrary experience) is that the studios are the only staterooms available to solos. Which means if you want the Bella experience....great, but if you want any nicer experience you are out of luck. Every time I have tried to book Bellissima as a solo, everything but studios are full.

I really don't see what the flap is about. Six girlfriends and I just booked seven yacht club suites as solos with no single supplement on MSC Seaside. We're going to have a fabulous girlfriends cruise. Works for me and way cheaper than what I would pay for a suite on Celebrity--even if I had to pay full price.

I wonder if it's because it's the YC that they let you book solos? If you don't mind me asking, what are you paying?

Untrue. OP can make a booking for two people and go alone, but they don't want to. They feel discriminated against and are advising other solo travelers to avoid MSC, avoiding it themselves as well, I assume.

When you need to get sneaky and book two people and then cancel one in order to cruise solo, that clearly means that MSC doesn’t want solo cruisers on that particular sailing. Yes, you’re right. The OP CAN make a solo booking, but only after getting “creative” which shouldn’t be the case, so I understand the OP’s frustration and their need to vent and advice other solo cruisers about these practices.

With that said, I have encountered the same max occupancy restriction on several cruise lines when trying to book a cabin for less passengers than its max occupancy, so I personally understand the frustration.

While I wouldn’t encourage others to avoid those cruise lines, I would feel compelled to advice others about these practices so that they are aware of the them.

Edited by Tapi

I wonder if it's because it's the YC that they let you book solos? If you don't mind me asking, what are you paying?

Around $1900. I have a cruise booked as a solo (including the single supplement) on Celebrity this fall in a sky suite with a price of over $8000. Quite a difference. And Celebrity does not offer the ship within a ship concept.

It seems like you’re cruising on a sailing that’s underselling which is why the single supplement was waived and that’s why you got that deal. In the OP’s case, the sailing that she’s interested in is not offering single cabins, yacht club or not so her predicament is different than yours.

So to answer your question, the “flap” is that the OP is unable to make a booking. I’m pretty sure that if you were planning a girlfriends cruise but were unable to book it once you narrowed it down to a specific cruise line, ship and date, you wouldn’t be asking this question.

I would never plan a girlfriends cruise without checking out the pricing ahead of time. Obviously this particular cruise is underselling. Fine with me. I'm perfectly happy to take advantage of the price.