SanDiego

ArubaGal

Thank you for the suggestions. I like the idea of the Spanish Village art district with artists selling their work.

What types of creations do they sell?

@riff did a pretty good job of outlining what is there.

It's everything from water color, oil pantings, blown glass, photography, you name it. There is even a lady in one of the shops who takes fallen pieces of palm trees and paints amazing portraits on them. It's really a neat thing to see all the different artists.

The San Diego rock and gem society has a large setup there as well showcasing tons of rocks and gems found locally.

Around the corner is the San Diego Photography society but you may need to check their hours.

More details here... https://www.balboapark.org/shopping/spanish-village

Rental car would be OK and as pointed out parking can be expensive, but pretty easy to find. There are plenty of off street parking lots. It just depends on how far you want to walk. You can also park in a lot and take the trolley all over, even all the way to the Mexican border.

The Trolley (San Diego's light rail) does not go to Coronado, the beaches, La Jolla, or Balboa Park/Zoo.

The Gaslamp is horrible with a car. Best to go there on the Trolley and walk. That is also true for Old Town, the Embarcadero (USS Midway, Maritime Museum, cruise ship piers), and Marina District (Seaport Village).

Edited by Splinter

I thought we might do Balboa Park, but if the weather is beautiful I don't want to spend it indoors in Museams. May just go walk along the coast/harbor and over to Gaslamp for lunch.

The gardens in Balboa park are beautiful. Rose Gardens, Palm Canyon, nature walk along Florida Canyon, Japanese Friendship garden. Lots more to do in Balboa Park other than just the museums and the Zoo. There may even be a concert at the Organ Pavillion.

The Trolley (San Diego's light rail) does not go to Coronado, the beaches, La Jolla, or Balboa Park/Zoo.

The Gaslamp is horrible with a car. Best to go there on the Trolley and walk. That is also true for Old Town, the Embarcadero (USS Midway, Maritime Museum, cruise ship piers), and Marina District (Seaport Village).

Good points. I have never really had a problem finding a parking lot at any of those places except maybe Old Town. I am always able to find a parking spot in the lot at Seaport Village behind the HQ or the lot across from the cruise terminal. As for Gas Lamp, parking at Horton Plaza is always available or Petco if not a game day.

The Residence Inn is very close to the cruise terminal. However, I would call the hotel and ask if there is a back entrance, which would land you a block away from the cruise terminal. Otherwise, from the front of the hotel, you need to walk down a block then up a block and then across the street to the cruise terminal.

The hotel may also have a local shuttle. Many Residence Inns do.

The Residence Inn is very close to the cruise terminal. However, I would call the hotel and ask if there is a back entrance, which would land you a block away from the cruise terminal. Otherwise, from the front of the hotel, you need to walk down a block then up a block and then across the street to the cruise terminal.

I'm sorry but....what???

They exit the hotel, walk to the corner of West Broadway and North Harbor Drive, cross the intersection there, and viola....they're right there.

You exit the front of the hotel, turn right, walk 50 yards or so to the street, turn right for about 10-15 yards, cross the street at the crosswalk (with a light), turn left for about 10 yards and you are at the entrance to the pier. Its sort of walking out of back way of the hotel and through a courtyard area, but easy to do. Likely less of a walk than you had going from your airline gate in SD to the baggage claim.