P&O Cruises New Ship Name

GoProCruiser

Like others have said, I think gala is just the project name for the ship so it's not called "Thingy" or new ship! especially with Carnival staff as they may be involved in a few new build ships with different subsidiaries!

But how about Canberra 2 for new ships name?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like others have said, I think gala is just the project name for the ship so it's not called "Thingy" or new ship! especially with Carnival staff as they may be involved in a few new build ships with different subsidiaries!

But how about Canberra 2 for new ships name?

I'm not a traditionalist and am prepared to give things a go, but having looked at the video of the ship I get the feeling that those of you who have fond memories of the old Canberra may not be too happy.

Have to say, the ship seems to be too big and there are too many gimmicks. Have tried an RCI ship once and would not like P&O to go that way.... oh dear.

Even though the new ship will be the head of the fleet I don't think P & O would go for a new Canberra as a name. If the ship was a more traditional adult orientated ship then may be, but as It will be a newer and family orientated I reckon a new Name will be chosen

• 4 months later...

I think Gala's OK, but not the best name. Still, it's way better than the two new Celebrity ships. Celebrity Edge and Celebrity Beyond! Really? As for the size, I love cruising on medium size ships and I like the big ones too. I'm looking forward to my cruise on Symphony of the Seas next year. Which I'm sure will appal the size snobs.

Even though the new ship will be the head of the fleet I don't think P & O would go for a new Canberra as a name. If the ship was a more traditional adult orientated ship then may be, but as It will be a newer and family orientated I reckon a new Name will be chosen

I suspect that P&O Australia might want to save Canberra as a name for a potential future flagship - historical P&O name (sort of), name of the nation's capital. Although it doesn't fit with their current "Pacific <insert random word here>" conventions.

• 11 months later...
I think Gala's OK, but not the best name. Still, it's way better than the two new Celebrity ships. Celebrity Edge and Celebrity Beyond! Really? As for the size, I love cruising on medium size ships and I like the big ones too. I'm looking forward to my cruise on Symphony of the Seas next year. Which I'm sure will appal the size snobs.

Very jealous, I bet Symphony will be awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

I remover seeing somewhere that P&O has taken out a patent(forgive me if patent is the wrong phraseology) on the name Iona. There was a post somewhere that showed that was done last year sometime!?!? :-) not sure if that has aaaany correlation to the project. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I remover seeing somewhere that P&O has taken out a patent(forgive me if patent is the wrong phraseology) on the name Iona. There was a post somewhere that showed that was done last year sometime!?!? :-) not sure if that has aaaany correlation to the project. :-)

If so, a nice name.

I think they registered a number of names.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yeah. It’s a cracking name. Just wish I could remember where I saw that information or know how to find it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It was on the Hong Kong Cruise Society page around 19th February where they suggested Iona had been applied for along with 2 other names. Celestia and Aurelia.

I got a little excited as Iona was my suggestion (along with countless others I’m sure!)

• 3 weeks later...
I was hoping for the ship to be named The lady Diana<3

Although it does end in ‘a’ (unlike Thatcher), I think it’s unlikely if they want a member of the Royal family to launch her! Whatever it’s called, it won’t begin with ‘The’ ;)