EPIC - What would you do?

I have the Epic booked out of San Juan next year. I have only sailed her once Thanksgiving 2012 in an interior and did not love the fact that we could not see the ocean except on the pool deck and the one sided running deck.

I have booked a Balcony for this next trip......but I think I may want to book an Interior and chance getting the Posh Pass and/or Spa Passes instead. We only have one sea day and generally stay out at the ports the entire time.

I may be naive but I am thinking San Juan cruises are not as crazy packed as Florida cruises and we are going on a non holiday week in December.

Thoughts?

The Epic Spa has it's own Balcony. Even though not the newest ship I personally find it to have the best spa. My last epic cruise I had a stuido and even though lots of ports spent a lot of time in the spa and the balcony.

No. Lots of weeks they don't offer any POSH passes beyond the Haven guests. You're not only running the risk that you'll be first in line for the few coveted POSH passes but then will there be any even sold that week?!

Go for a room you're going to be happy with. The Epic does have the adult quiet deck up on deck 18 or 19. In the front of that deck they have some really nice outdoor furniture, like they have in POSH. Cruisers don't really discover this place until later in the cruise.

I found the epic spa very nice but also very crowded.

You can book a spa pass before you get on board, so that will be an option for you.

As an FYI, we sailed out of San Juan on the Dawn in November. It was important to us to have a large balcony...which we barely used. Next year when we sail the Dawn again out of Puerto Rico, we decided to forego the balcony and book a cabin without one. The port-intensive itinerary will limit the time you spend in your cabin.

Do what you think is best, but I definitely would not count on Posh passes.

I have the Epic booked out of San Juan next year. I have only sailed her once Thanksgiving 2012 in an interior and did not love the fact that we could not see the ocean except on the pool deck and the one sided running deck.

I have booked a Balcony for this next trip......but I think I may want to book an Interior and chance getting the Posh Pass and/or Spa Passes instead. We only have one sea day and generally stay out at the ports the entire time.

I may be naive but I am thinking San Juan cruises are not as crazy packed as Florida cruises and we are going on a non holiday week in December.

Thoughts?

There is a lot of open deck space to sit and sun.

The ship sells around 10 Posh Club passes a week. If you are a platinum member, you may Have a chance at one.

How much difference in price is the balcony?

Don't forget that for balcony and above no taxes/fees whereas interior you will need to pay those.

As for me, I was able to upgrade from an Interior with only 1 perk to a balcony with 2 perks for $217 per person thanks to the no taxes and fees. I found that to be a very reasonable upgrade charge. .

But it may be different for your sailing.

As someone who did the studio room on the EPIC in 2011 and then again on Escape 2017, I find them to be nice rooms and with the studio lounge you can get beverages and snacks.

The Thermal SPA pass I did on the Escape and really loved it. You can view the ocean from that area and will much quieter than on deck. Go for lower priced room and then do the SPA and specialty dining too.

I always feel the room cost should be the lowest you can get and be comfortable.

I would book the interior room as I spend very little time in my room and would rather use the savings towards another cruise or for shore excursions. There also happens to be no bar in either room.

Only you can decide what is the best choice for yourself.

How much do you want to be able to use that balcony?

It really comes down to "is it worth it for you."

When I am on a cruise I want to know I am on a ship, I want to be able to see outside, I like stepping out on the balcony even for 5-10 minutes while DW does something else and just "be." For me balconies are very much worth it. I may not spend a lot of time outside, I don't normally, but when I am working I may go extended period of time never even seeing daylight at all.

So it is all about what it is worth to you.

Oh, and for a couple, the Epic spa is awesome!

No. Lots of weeks they don't offer any POSH passes beyond the Haven guests. You're not only running the risk that you'll be first in line for the few coveted POSH passes but then will there be any even sold that week?!

Go for a room you're going to be happy with. The Epic does have the adult quiet deck up on deck 18 or 19. In the front of that deck they have some really nice outdoor furniture, like they have in POSH. Cruisers don't really discover this place until later in the cruise.

I found the epic spa very nice but also very crowded.

My cruise last March the Epic spa was loud with people partying and drinking. It was almost impossible to get a heated lounger or place on the balcony. And people on the balcony below smoked.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How much difference in price is the balcony?

Don't forget that for balcony and above no taxes/fees whereas interior you will need to pay those.

As for me, I was able to upgrade from an Interior with only 1 perk to a balcony with 2 perks for $217 per person thanks to the no taxes and fees. I found that to be a very reasonable upgrade charge. .

But it may be different for your sailing.

It is $447 difference from the interior to the balcony and yes we also get the additional perk and chose SDP. We usually do 3 specialty dining nights so if we paid for that separately it would be $165.

I guess when I look at it that way, we are only paying $282 more for a balcony. Decisions decisions.

Normally I sail Interior and splurge on whatever I want. This ship though....although we only have 1 sea day.

Go for the balcony and spa pass! You are on vacation, live it up. I don't sit for hours on the balcony, but the feeling one gets while looking at the ocean or seeing the moon's reflection on the water at night is priceless. As others mentioned, don't count on Posh. Also, while Posh is ok, it is not near as much fun as Vibe is.