Status of Caribbean islands after the hurricanes?

dongordon

Cruising in January on the Escape to Dominica, St. Marteen and Barbados.

Does anyone know the status of these islands after getting hit so hard by the two hurricanes?

I heard my favorite Beach Bar (Mr. Busby's) at Dawn Beach had been destroyed. We had been going there for the last 10 years. I hope they can rebuild....feel so bad for them.

Cruising in January on the Escape to Dominica, St. Marteen and Barbados.

Does anyone know the status of these islands after getting hit so hard by the two hurricanes?

I heard my favorite Beach Bar (Mr. Busby's) at Dawn Beach had been destroyed. We had been going there for the last 10 years. I hope they can rebuild....feel so bad for them.

I did a land vacation in St. Maarten and LOVED Mr. Busbys.

I believe that the hurricanes activity centered north from around the Virgin Islands i.e. St. Thomas and the

destruction from that point extended west to Puerto Rico.

The islands of Dominica, St. Marteen and Barbados were in order impacted by lessor winds and wet weather

to nothing but a passing storm.

Nothing to the degree of damage like Puerto Rico and St. Thomas.

If the 2018 hurricanes don't further complicate the rebuilding - you should be good to go to any of the

southern Caribbean islands in January.

Readers CC members any more information ?

Check the websites (Chamber of Commerce) of the islands for more up to date info.

Dominica was really badly damaged, as was St. Maarten. I'm doing the Carnival Fascination next month and our port in Dominica was changed to Antigua because they still have a long way to go.

St. Maarten was hit pretty bad, but ships are returning and will be in much better shape when you go. The French side was hit much harder than the Dutch side, and the French have not been very quick at processing claims from what I hear.

Barbados went almost unscathed because they are so far south.

All of this is of course dependent upon no future hurricanes coming through again this season.

A friend at work just went to St. Maarten last week on the Fascination. She said it was in bad shape. Docks with boats just destroyed and capsized and seemingly no progress on cleaning them up. The famous beach near the airport was still in good shape, though, she said it was great. So like the other poster said, come with a little lower expectations than the past, and spend a lot of money to help things come along!