Second Thoughts About Flying?

jhannah

I'm no 'road warrior' but I do have to fly for work (nationally and sometimes internationally) as well as for pleasure. There are a number of things that one can do that help alleviate the less pleasant aspects of flying, such as:

-- Get TSA or Global Entry (which includes TSA privileges) to avoid having to take off shoes, take out computer, take out 3-1-1 bag, etc. when going through security. Lines are also usually quite a bit shorter -- but can be long if you travel when all the business travelers tend to travel.

-- Don't tote a lot on the plane. I have only a small purse and one bag; the bag goes above leaving the space beneath the seat in front of me relatively open so that I can at least move my legs and feet around a bit.

-- Wear compression socks to keep down swelling and reduce risk of DVT. And of course, comfortable loose clothing in layers.

-- If you can't sit 'front of plane' at least pay to be able to choose your seat in advance and/or if you're flying on an airline that has it, consider the "economy comfort" or "economy plus" seating with more legroom.

-- Eat in the airport before your flight -- quite a few airports have at least one or two decent restaurants now. Much better than what you'll get (or have to purchase) on the plane and eliminates the need to juggle a plate, drink, silverware, etc. on your tray table. If you bring a snack onboard make sure it's easy to manage -- a granola bar, packet of nuts, etc. Not a salad that has to be assembled.

-- Noise cancelling earbuds are wonderful. Use them to watch in-flight entertainment or your own entertainment (music, movies). Really helps eliminate the crying babies, loud laughers, etc.

-- Bring some back-up entertainment (Kindle, book); can't count how many times my particular in-flight entertainment unit didn't work (or didn't work well).

Great tips! I would also add that I never get on a plane without my own water. I carry my own (empty) water bottle through security then fill it once through. (Our airport has attachments to the drinking fountains specifically for filling water bottles.) If I forget my own bottle, I always, ALWAYS buy one.

~Robin

When cruising from US or Canadian ports I'll take Amtrak. Not exactly luxurious and not exactly cheap' date=' but for me it is a far better experience than the cattle herding process that flying has become. As for Europe and beyond, mooooo![/quote']

And extraordinarily more dangerous! Amtrak fatalities far outnumber US air fatalities over the past decade.

I say this as someone who takes the NEC twice/weekly. Amtrak is shady, mechanically, at best.

In 1995 I flew on a very turbulent flight and decided never to fly again. I didn't fly for 16 yrs. Took a lot of cruises around the caribbean and drove a lot around the US and Canada.

In 2011 I sat next to my father and watched him die from Alzheimer's while I or anyone was not able to do anything for him. The moment my father died I realized that I was missing so much in life and that life is going by very fast.

Since 2011, I have taken 2-3 international flights a year. We have seen so many beautiful places.

If we are certain of anyhing in life, is that we are all going to die. So when my time arrives, I want to be content that I did all, or most of I wanted to do...... in this life.

Not a well-known fact, but you are allowed to bring frozen water through Security. The restriction just applies to liquids and gels. One time they checked to see how much had melted but it was less than the allowed amount so they didn't confiscate it. Disclaimer: Sometimes you get a newbie who makes up their own rules.

In 1995 I flew on a very turbulent flight and decided never to fly again. I didn't fly for 16 yrs. Took a lot of cruises around the caribbean and drove a lot around the US and Canada.

In 2011 I sat next to my father and watched him die from Alzheimer's while I or anyone was not able to do anything for him. The moment my father died I realized that I was missing so much in life and that life is going by very fast.

Since 2011, I have taken 2-3 international flights a year. We have seen so many beautiful places.

If we are certain of anyhing in life, is that we are all going to die. So when my time arrives, I want to be content that I did all, or most of I wanted to do...... in this life.

TravelLover, this is a lovely post.

What you have said is very true.....good post. I hate being scared of a lot of things, and I try to push those thoughts out of my mind and just get out there and enjoy traveling, no matter how I travel. Tough to do sometimes. But life is short and we don't get a do-over. Glad you are seeing the world! :)

Dee2673, yes I remember that flight...how horrible!

God Bless you, I am glad you didn't fly on that flight. I admire the fact that you have continued to fly since then. I don't know if I could have done so.

Thanks, I had my 2 yr old daughter with me and didn't even know about it until we landed in San Francisco. My family was very upset, as was I. I used to say if it had happened before we left on our flight, I would be living in Chicago now. I had to still come back home to the East Coast..I cried like a baby on take off..:(.

Respectfully, I disagree that my comparison ought to be considered a "stretch". Have you followed, just as an example, the past reports of Amsterdam world cruisers who have witnessed repeated leaking of pipes in the ceilings and buckets in the hallways? This current world cruise, the guests have had issues when water had to be shut off for a period of time due to maintenance requirements. On my December/January Zaandam cruise, a table mate of mine whose cabin was on aft Dolphin Deck (along with others in that area) had several days with no hot water.

As homes, autos, and our bodies age, they require more maintenance. Ships and planes do as well.

My concern is that dry docking times for HAL ships as they age are too short for the thorough maintenance that might truly be needed to insure the best guest experience.

I don't disagree with any of this, but my point was that there is a very big difference between shoddy maintenance on an aircraft designed to fly at 30,000+ feet, where a single component failure can result in catastrophic consequences and even loss of life or lives (as seen in the Southwest incident); and poor maintenance on a cruise ship which may result in the inconveniences you describe that can degrade the 'guest experience'.

It always amazes me how we as humans worry about sensational things that will likely never happen to us ..... but never think twice about the most likely cause of accidental death - car accidents. Over 100 people die every day in the US in car accidents, but most people never think twice about driving. Statistically driving to a distant port is much more dangerous than flying.

This. Drunk or high on drugs, texting, careless, wreckless, whatever, already over 200 traffic deaths YTD in our state this year.

This. Drunk or high on drugs, texting, careless, wreckless, whatever, already over 200 traffic deaths YTD in our state this year.

Or texting? or on phone or, or, or

Which state had 200 traffic deaths 'this year?

Or texting? or on phone or, or, or

Unfortunately, the answer is likely not state but states. Assuming an even distribution of auto related deaths throughout the year, 200 ytd deaths translates to roughly 670 deaths annually. Based on figures from the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety for 2016, and even assuming a 10% decrease in auto deaths (wildly optimistic IMO), the following states should currently be in excess of 200 auto related deaths for 2018: Alabama, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia. If we ignore the 10% decrease, add Mississippi and Oklahoma.

I just checked FL. As of yesterday, 813 ! :eek: That's an average of 7.3 per day, a little lower than last year's 8.2. FL usually leads the nation in motorcycle accident deaths. Edited by catl331

In a very unfortunate incident today, the left engine of a Southwest Airlines jet exploded in flight. Shrapnel was propelled through the airplane's skin and entered the cabin. One passenger lost his life.

Stuff happens. No doubt about it. This is an isolated incident in Southwest's excellent safety record. That being said, does this make you think again about flying to port, especially going over seas?

"Especially going over seas"

Aircraft are rated for how far they are allowed to get from a diversion airport. It's based upon how reliable

their last remaining engine would be if they lost all but one.

Google "ETOPS rating" (cynically translated as "Engines Turn Or Passengers Swim").

Walking through the grocery store parking lot is very dangerous in Florida.

True.. I almost was ran over by a blue-haired grandma pushing her shopping cart like a bat outta hell toward somewhere.... not quite sure where. Lol! :eek::o

The curse of good weather and old drivers?

I think you're on to something. We have a similar situation here in San Diego, CA - which boasts one of the best year round climates on the globe - not sure about the 'old drivers' part of it, but I ride my bicycle every day here, and do not go a day without a close call of some sort. :(

If you are not going to Fly based upon safety issues then do not drive. The odds are higher you will be killed driving. If you do not drive have someone else drive, but the odds again higher you will be killed than flying. So since you can't get to the port maybe you need to sty home and hide in the house? You should never leave the house becasue the odds of being killed are higher outside the house.

You can live your life, or you can hide the choice is yours...... Not passing judgement on anyone. My choice is to life life but protect myself. I live in a country that has high crime, home invasions, robbery, murder, so I protect myself. But I still live and sleep in my house at night knowing armed security is outside watching everything. Is the risk higher yes, after reducing it the best I can do I feel safe absolutely.

I have not flown in 8 years and have not driven a car in 15 years .I live in a city that has not has a crime of violence in the 15 years I have lived here.

In a very unfortunate incident today, the left engine of a Southwest Airlines jet exploded in flight. Shrapnel was propelled through the airplane's skin and entered the cabin. One passenger lost his life.

Stuff happens. No doubt about it. This is an isolated incident in Southwest's excellent safety record. That being said, does this make you think again about flying to port, especially going over seas?

I worried about it for a while. I vary between going back and forth between aisle and window seats for different reasons. But when I thought about it, I reason that driving my car on on our major highways here (especially the 401 here in my part of Canada), is most definitely more dangerous than air travel. Two weeks ago, half a young hockey team was wiped out on a bus ride to their game in Saskatchewan. Every day, I read the newspaper that someone, or two or more are killed in a car crash near my home, so I am thinking that I am really no more likely to encounter disaster on an airplane than in my car on a road near home.

I will probably not choose a window seat on my next flight though. So sad for the lady who lost her life. So glad though that brave people kept her from going out. They themselves will have a long way to go to deal with their memories and their own trauma.

I have not flown in 8 years and have not driven a car in 15 years .I live in a city that has not has a crime of violence in the 15 years I have lived here.

Just curious.. have you ever ventured out beyond the confines of your humble abode in the last 15 years?

Amazing... and kinda sad actually.