Fjords Cruise - Stavanger, Flam, Olden, Bergen - Advice Please

Puppy9

Hi, We are going to the Fjords in June for the first time on Azura. Could anyone recommend some excursions that you don't have to book through P and O please? There are 4 of us going, and would require something that would be suitable for an elderly person with mobility issues.

We would also be looking for some recommendations for some nice walks please ?

Thank you

Hi, We are going to the Fjords in June for the first time on Azura. Could anyone recommend some excursions that you don't have to book through P and O please? There are 4 of us going, and would require something that would be suitable for an elderly person with mobility issues.

We would also be looking for some recommendations for some nice walks please ?

Thank you

Look into viator tours.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

Olden is a lovely village and you dont really need to bother with the ships excursions. When we were there a couple of years ago we did an open top bus trip that took us to a large lake and there was a glacier. You didnt have to get off the bus and walk if you didnt want to.I think it was about a 2hr trip and cost less than £20 each and you could pay by credit card. Much cheaper than anything on the ship.

There was also a little road train but I cant remember where it went to.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Stavanger the ship docks in the middle of the town so you can easily walk to most of the attractions. The old town is opposite the ship and holds the canning museum which sounds awful but is actually amazingly interesting.

The newer part of the town with the church, shops etc is a short stroll round the bay. The oil museum is there, again sounds boring but a fascinating visit.

Flam you are in the middle of the town. You can book the Flam railway independently in advance if you want to but for me anyway it was a fairly boring train trip - we have better at home. The little town has a small museum and some shops and there is a land train you can just pick up on the day for a short trip around. Lovely walks around the area and close by.

Olden, there a couple of tourist shops opposite the ship and it’s a short walk to the tiny town but perhaps too far for someone with mobility issues. Again there is a tourist train that takes you along past then to the town and tells you about the history of the area, glaziers etc. There is a fascinating church and church yard there with real boulders for headstones -they tell you the history of it on the train.

Bergen, same again a tourist train that takes you up the mountain, tells you about the area etc. You can also take the funicular train from the centre of the town up. If you haven’t been before however i would stay in the centre and head to the Bryggen which was the headquarters of the Hanzeatic league. It is right in the centre of the town and a short walk from the ship / shuttle drop off depending on your dock. It a fascinating glimpse into history and the museum is worth a visit to get to know what you are looking at. The fish market is also worth a strol round and try out the products.

In the centre all of these towns are fairly flat walking (you can go down hill to the other bay in Stavanger but you can also avoid the hill) so accessible.

That’s just a snap shot, let me know if there is any further detail you want.

Whilst in Bergen I recommend a visit to the home of Edward Grieg, the composer. A coach trip from the tourist office costs next to nothing, and includes a short piano recital in a small concert hall. This was the highlight of our Fjords cruise.

Whilst in Bergen I recommend a visit to the home of Edward Grieg, the composer. A coach trip from the tourist office costs next to nothing, and includes a short piano recital in a small concert hall. This was the highlight of our Fjords cruise.

Oh I like the sound of that!:D

If you want any further info, let me know, however I’m sure you will find it on the Bergen tourist office website. If I remember it cost about £16. By the way, the ships tour which was far more expensive, didn’t stay for the concert!

Maybe you like try the Loen Skylift?

https://www.loenskylift.com/

There is bus transfer from Olden to Loen who take ca 6 min,tickets ( who ink. Skylift and bus transfer ) you can buy in the office at the cruise terminal. ( on the right side of the dock )

http://oldenadventure.no/

If you like more info about this you can contact Olden Adventure : post@oldencruise.no

Welcome to Olden :)

Maybe you like try the Loen Skylift?

https://www.loenskylift.com/

There is bus transfer from Olden to Loen who take ca 6 min,tickets ( who ink. Skylift and bus transfer ) you can buy in the office at the cruise terminal. ( on the right side of the dock )

http://oldenadventure.no/

If you like more info about this you can contact Olden Adventure : post@oldencruise.no

Welcome to Olden :)

Thank you for this information. We are visiting Olden in July. I know that Norway is renowned for being expensive, but the Skylift costs £46 per person and the 10 minute bus transfer £16 per person extra. So for me to take my wife and two adult daughters will cost me £244. Is it worth that sort of expenditure for a 5 minute ride with a view?

We were in the area last year. From Stavanger we went on a boat trip into the fjords that started right by where we docked. Think the company was called Rodnefjord? It was really nice trip. Booked independently for the Flamm railway but as the cruise company block books you may be too late.

I agree about Bergen - visit Troldhaugen if you have any interest in Edvard Greig. It was really interesting. We had to go with the ship tour just because of time limitations.

Have a great trip

Selbourne mentioning the prices in Norway reminded me of another source of entertainment available in Olden.

Sit in the small cafe in the town and listen for the inevitable discussion at virtually every Brit table about the extortionate cost of the tea / coffee. Better yet wait for the lesser spotted pint of beer drinker and the chocking sound that follows when they find out how much the pint costs - eye watering prices.

Just a word of warning about Stavanger Old Town if you have someone with poor mobility. The streets are very steep and I seem to remember that many are cobbled. I was uncomfortable in my wheelchair and struggled on foot.

A few years ago we called at Stavanger and caught the so called ho ho bus, no cheap. Found out about it from the unhelpful and rude Tourist office. Had to change buses 3 times before we started

We went on a ride around the suburbs, not interesting except for seeing the famous swords.

Bus didn’t stop so not exactly hop on hop off, but nothing of interest to see anyway.

Unless this has changed don’t bother.

But the fjords are beautiful.

Selbourne mentioning the prices in Norway reminded me of another source of entertainment available in Olden.

Sit in the small cafe in the town and listen for the inevitable discussion at virtually every Brit table about the extortionate cost of the tea / coffee. Better yet wait for the lesser spotted pint of beer drinker and the chocking sound that follows when they find out how much the pint costs - eye watering prices.

Our TA has advised us to take a flask and some freezer bags with us. We can make our coffee in our cabin, take some stuff from the breakfast buffet and we won't have to buy anything on shore! I can't believe that there are still people who visit Scandinavia who are not aware of how expensive it is.

Regarding excursions, we are doing a privately booked fjord safari in Flam, the Briksdal glacier in Olden and will probably book tickets for the funicular up Mt Floyen in Bergen. We rarely book excursions through the cruise company and have many enjoyable and cheaper excursions which we have booked in various ports over the years.

I think that before they go people are probably told it’s expenisve but that term is all relative to where you live. I find the prices in Edinburgh expensive compared to home however they are positively cheap compared to anywhere in Norway

If I every tell anyone that Norway is costly I try to give an example of the prices so that they know what they are in for.

The knitwear eg Dale of Norway is actually good value as although pricy it is excellent quality and lasts forever. The fish at the market in Bergen is reasonable for the quality as well. We just avoid alcohol etc as anything bad for you is heavily taxed (but then we are heading in that direction is Scotland as well with minimum alcohol prices and the sugar tax)