Knives?

Anita Latte

We'd like to purchase a quality Alaska made knife on our cruise. Our ports are Ketchikan, ISP, Juneau, and Skagway. DH has a thing for knives...but also, we are going camping post cruise and so, could use a good knife for our post cruise DIY land touring. I figure, the easiest way to deal with being able to have a knife for camping is to purchase one along the way. OH...I suppose that we will also be in Anchorage and around the Kenai Peninsula as we are camping in the Kenai Wilderness.

Anyone have any recommendations? Also, anyone have any first hand experience with this? I believe that the ship will store the knife until we debark. I have no problems with that, would just like to understand the process. I'll likely call the cruise line but curious to other's experience. We're sailing Celebrity Millennium.

I haven’t cruised Celebrity but on other lines they check your stuff as you are coming back on board. They tagged the items for storage. I think we got a copy of the tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Went to several shops looking for real ulu knife, everything was from China. If your looking for a souvenir, no problem almost all the tourist joints have them, none made in Alaska

Best bet for an Ulu is one of the Ulu factory stores. For a regular knife you're probably going to have to Google some AK knife makers, most mass produced stuff is going to be from outside the US.

As for storage, keep the knife on it's own when returning to the ship and when you walk up tell the security people what you purchased and ask them about safekeeping. System should be almost identical to the one they use for alcohol, and it won't bother them at all since people do it with dive knives all the time.

There are few places where any transportable good will be better bought on location rather than locally at home. (Custom made clothing is a notable exception, where applicable.) It's best to buy inexpensive trinkets to serve as touchstones for great trips.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

In Ketchikan I bought a "pocket ulu" knife at at store on Creek Street called Fish Creek Alaska. A pretty nice knife that was made in Alaska - maybe about $100. Until reading this post I never thought at thing about it. When I got back on the ship (NCL Pearl) I had a bag or two with a few things I'd bought that went through the x-ray machine and security. Nobody said a word. I took it to my cabin and put it away. It was in my check bag flying home. No big deal. I don't know if they didn't care or didn't catch it.

Went to several shops looking for real ulu knife, everything was from China. If your looking for a souvenir, no problem almost all the tourist joints have them, none made in Alaska

Alaskan made ulus are everywhere - just have to look for the "Made in Alaska" mark. Bought two of them at the Taku Store in Juneau - IIRC, they were $13 or $19 with a stand.

When we returned to the Eurodam, it went thru the x-ray machine, Security didn't say anything and we just brought them back to our room

If you do have the ship take your item (be it knife, alcohol, etc) make sure you remember they did at the end of your cruise! My husband almost totally forgot they kept the pocket ulu knife he had purchased and we had to run back into the cruise terminal to find someone to help us! It worked out in the end but had we been a little farther out (or on an airport transfer, etc) it would have been too late.

On our last Princess Alaska cruise (2012) we bought 3 Ulu knives (and cutting boards) as gifts. They were in our shopping bag when we reboarded the ship. Security told us to lock them up in a suitcase in our room which we did. That way there was no concern about having it returned to us the night before disembarkation. This was in Ketchikan where it seemed like every other cruiser was boarding with Ulu knives!

On our cruise 2 years ago, we met a man at dinner who collected handmade knives. He was excited to show us his purchase when we saw him in Skagway the next day. I have no idea where he bought it, but at least some should be available there.

Here is a place in Seward: https://www.irbiknives.com/

Edited by mytime53

I'm assuming you are not looking for a tourist souvenir ULU.....

https://www.alaskaknifeworks.com/ in Juneau

I used to walk by their store when it was just uphill from the Alaskan Hotel in Juneau and drool on their windows. It looks like they have now moved to Merchants Wharf.

Edited by bottom-dragger
snark delete

I purchased a knife for my dad in Ketchikan in the store that is next to the Lumber Jack show. My uncle was with me and said it was a good deal. The store wrapped it in bubble wrap and lots of tape. When I reboarded the ship (Royal Caribbean) the people checking us in said I could take it to my room but to not open it. I was a little surprised but that is what I did.

I'm assuming you are not looking for a tourist souvenir ULU.....

https://www.alaskaknifeworks.com/ in Juneau

I used to walk by their store when it was just uphill from the Alaskan Hotel in Juneau and drool on their windows. It looks like they have now moved to Merchants Wharf.

Correct. This is exactly the type of store I'm looking for. We have the most time and no plans in Juneau so this could be perfect. Really appreciate the link. Thank you.

Skagway is also a casual DIY day for us, so thanks to the PP that mentioned it. And the specific Ketchikan store...I'll look that up.

In Ketchikan I bought a "pocket ulu" knife at at store on Creek Street called Fish Creek Alaska. A pretty nice knife that was made in Alaska - maybe about $100. Until reading this post I never thought at thing about it. When I got back on the ship (NCL Pearl) I had a bag or two with a few things I'd bought that went through the x-ray machine and security. Nobody said a word. I took it to my cabin and put it away. It was in my check bag flying home. No big deal. I don't know if they didn't care or didn't catch it.

Several years ago a group of us returned to a ship with firearms (we took them with us) during processing one of our group forgot to mention he had a pistol in a different bag and made it back to his room before he caught the mistake. So yea, security often gets really busy and is looking more for the tell-tale shape of the alcohol bottles than anything else. I know dive knives make it on all the time.

And before anyone freaks out, vacations are sometimes planned around where competitions are held.

A true Ulu has hanle large enought for 3-4 fingers through opening. By opening your hand, the Ulu stays on the "back" of your hand as you work. By closing your hand, the knife is back in position. see below

ubb-WBBig.jpg

• 2 weeks later...