Well now there looks to be more issues if traveling the Baltics this year

Just heard on BBC America about how much more violent Sweden has become recently with close to 170,000 refugees entering the country. They were saying Swedes might being leaving the country in larger quantities.

Now they did not say anything about travel, but for cruises to Russia and Sweden it does make one pause and say hmmm. What kind of shore excursion should I take or should I stay one ship.

Should I even try to cancel the trip.

Just wondering everyone's thoughts with this new information that's all.

You're more than welcome to visit me if you wish. Sweden is very safe. Except our suburbs with all the migrants. But there is no need to visit there. I've never done. And never will.

If.you look at murders/person I think we are very safe. A lot safer than Florida, for example. Where also cruise ships visit.

Just heard on BBC America about how much more violent Sweden has become recently with close to 170,000 refugees entering the country. They were saying Swedes might being leaving the country in larger quantities.

Now they did not say anything about travel, but for cruises to Russia and Sweden it does make one pause and say hmmm. What kind of shore excursion should I take or should I stay one ship.

Stockholm is nice and the 2 hour sail in is spectacular.

St Petersburg ships tours are safe and well organized and you don't need a visa unless you want to venture out on your own.

Estonia,Denmark and Finland are usually on the Baltic itinerary and are well worth visiting.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Just looking at this rationally, the news that I have seen coming out of Sweden is that violence, and things like gun related crime are on the increase. That is obviously a concern to the Swedes, but doesn't make it a problem to visitors.

Look at it this way. Whilst gun related crime may be increasing, the number of gun related homicides per head of population is (I believe, although statistics found online are always questionable) about 10% of that in the country which I assume the OP lives in.

Sweden is beautiful just like the rest of the Baltic region. It is relatively safer compared to most places in America. They are just worried because of the influx of migrants into their boarders. This should not be an issue for tourists.

Sweden violent? You need to pick a different 'news' channel

Sent from my iPad using Forums

no, op is right. there has been a lot of information about this. Should OP cancel a cruise? If it were me, I would not. There are a lot of places with worse crime than Sweden for sure. Still it is good the OP is aware crime is on the upswing there, the past few years.

You're more than welcome to visit me if you wish. Sweden is very safe. Except our suburbs with all the migrants. But there is no need to visit there. I've never done. And never will.

If.you look at murders/person I think we are very safe. A lot safer than Florida, for example. Where also cruise ships visit.

Or New Orleans where tourists are prey for the local criminals

Sweden violent? You need to pick a different 'news' channel

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just because your source of news doesn't cover the violence doesn't mean it's not happening:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43667367

https://www.politico.eu/article/sweden-bombings-grenade-attacks-violent-reality-undoing-peaceful-self-image-law-and-order/

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/03/world/europe/sweden-crime-immigration-hand-grenades.html?mtrref=www.google.com&gwh=40152675CFCE21C438826272D77484A8&gwt=pay

That's just three examples... there has been a lot of violence in Europe due to the migrants and the fact they are bringing violence and different standards of treating people than they do in Europe. Having lived in Paris last summer I can tell you there is a huge amount of violence against Europeans occurring thanks to the migrants. Just because your news doesn't cover it (you know, it sort of kills the 'migrants are fantastic' narrative) does not mean it's not true. The OP has a legitimate concern. Minimizing it doesn't change the fact reality is harsh.

Yes. There has been a remarkable increase in violence in Europe largely thanks to the millions of migrants flowing in unchecked.

Yes, you should think about it, but really, you are most likely going to be safe. My daughter and I lived in Paris last summer and while it was a little scary at first, the reality is, you will most likely be safe, so long as you don't make yourself a target. You should take excursions offered through the ship.

NO WAY! Don't let them win and take something you want away from you! Although, due to the way the Russians treat large segments of their population, I would abstain from visiting Russia, you really should go on your trip and enjoy yourself ENTIRELY.

You're going to find a lot of biased, uninformed people having an opinion. The reality of the world today is you could be harmed walking to your car, going to dinner in a city, or on a cruise in Europe. Don't make yourself a target, don't wear flashy jewelry (I purchased inexpensive stuff to wear when we travel), don't carry huge wads of cash. Keep a copy of your passport on you, but leave your passport on the ship. Fill out the safe traveler form through the State Department, that will send you alerts. Book excursions through the cruise line, if they get cancelled you'll get a refund, and they have a vested interest in keeping you safe. And, in the very rare instance that something were to happen, keep an eye on what is happening around you and keep in mind a way out if need be.

Have you ever watched the news about the United States? And the uncontrolled violence there. Mass murders all the time. Police getting executed. Why would anyone what to go to the United States?

It’s the same. You can’t generalized the safety of a whole country based on isolated pockets of crime.

NCL, in general, is very risk adverse. They were the first cruiseline to pull out of Turkey. And minimized calls in the Eastern Caribbean when the ports were not ready to offer a good cruise experience.

There is absolutely no need to book shore excursions through the ship due to these type of fears. Book them if that is your preference, but not because of security concerns.

Millions of people live, work in or visit Stockholm. The type of places that you will visit in a day off of a cruise ship are quite safe. If there is any problem there, it would be due to a terrorist threat, and the risk of that in Stockholm is no higher than many other places.

no, op is right. there has been a lot of information about this. Should OP cancel a cruise? If it were me, I would not. There are a lot of places with worse crime than Sweden for sure. Still it is good the OP is aware crime is on the upswing there, the past few years.

Thanks for your support and opinion

Stockholm is nice and the 2 hour sail in is spectacular.

St Petersburg ships tours are safe and well organized and you don't need a visa unless you want to venture out on your own.

Estonia,Denmark and Finland are usually on the Baltic itinerary and are well worth visiting.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Thanks I feel a bit better and will keep my trip.

I merely wanted to chat about issues in Sweden