FYI US Military traveling to France

Theredofshaw

In a nutshell, US military members and their dependents or civilian DOD employees cannot disembark in France or travel to France. Changing planes is OK as long as one doesn't leave the airport. No announced end date to the ban.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2015/11/16/dod-announces-france-travel-ban.html?ESRC=todayinmil.sm

U.S. military personnel, dependents and all Defense civilian contractors and employees may not travel to France thanks to a newly instituted travel ban announced by the Defense Department today after a wave of terrorist attacks rocked the country last week leaving 129 people dead.

The ban prohibits all DoD personnel and their command-sponsored dependents and family from unofficial travel within the country. Any emergency leave to France requires approval from a general officer in the service member or employee's chain of command. Military family members who are not in the region on command-sponsored orders are not impacted by the ban.

The ban was announced today in a statement from U.S. European Command (EUCOM).

"This is a precautionary measure to keep our personnel and families safe in light of the recent attacks," the statement said. "This is also an effort to help minimize tourist traffic at the borders in France, and in [particular], in Paris as the French authorities continue their investigation."

The ban also impacts cruise ship shore excursions in France, but does not apply to personnel and families assigned to the country. It also does not impact those who have commercial airline connections through the country, provided they do not leave the secure portion of the airport, the announcement said.

The U.S. Navy had previously announced a travel ban Saturday for its personnel. It prohibited any sailor stationed in Europe, Africa and Bahrain from traveling to France for leave through November 27.

The EUCOM announcement contained no travel ban end-date.

• 1 month later...

Hello to anyone that reads this message,

Is there any update to this article in regards to military/DoD civilians being banned from traveling to Paris and elsewhere in France? It has been almost two months since this was announced.

How long are they going to keep the ban? I understand the Navy has an end date for their personnel.

What would stop a person from ignoring this ban and taking a cruise that stops in France? Would I, as a civilian with the Department of the Army, be fired from my job or reprimanded? What would the repercussions be in this situation? There is nothing written that says, "Do not go or else...."

I have been considering booking a cruise for this spring for several months but have not purchased anything yet. The cruise I am considering stops Le Havre for the day. I do not have any desire to travel to Paris (too long of a day by bus) but would rent a car for the to visit the D-Day beaches/sites with another couple.

I do not see how this ban can stop me if no one in my office even knows about my travel plans.

What are your thoughts? What have you heard? Your comments are appreciated.

Thank you,

Mary

Mary,

All travel restrictions to France have been discontinued. After a quick look, I can't find anything that says when it was lifted, but it was a while back. But you can check here: http://www.eur.army.mil/travelsafe/ or, from a US government network, review the Foreign Clearance Guide at https://www.fcg.pentagon.mil/

Wishing you safe and enjoyable travels!

Mary,

All travel restrictions to France have been discontinued. After a quick look, I can't find anything that says when it was lifted, but it was a while back. But you can check here: http://www.eur.army.mil/travelsafe/ or, from a US government network, review the Foreign Clearance Guide at https://www.fcg.pentagon.mil/

Wishing you safe and enjoyable travels!

this. just looked at the FCG last week for one of my younger sailors wanting to travel around europe this fall. things may be different on the network in which I cannot access (it specifically called that out in there) so you may want to double check with your force protection officer.

• 3 weeks later...

You need to go see your security officer and ask about travel bans right now. As for them not knowing because you don't tell...if something were to happen while you are in a "restricted" area it could affect your benefits like medical coverage. Just something to think about. If this trip is months away I would say you are probably safe as any bans for that area will probably be lifted.