Visa for Myanmar

CincyAL

What the recommended way for US citizens to obtain visas for Myanmar?

Are you cruising in and out of the port, or flying in.

If cruising -- it will obtained by O and either paid in advance or charged to your shipboard account.

If cruising -- it will obtained by O and either paid in advance or charged to your shipboard account.

Are you sure about the fact that it can be charged to the shipboard account as we will be on a cruise to Myanmar and I would like to do that (have lots of OBC).

What about India?

Are you sure about the fact that it can be charged to the shipboard account as we will be on a cruise to Myanmar and I would like to do that (have lots of OBC).

What about India?

Yes about Myanmar -- on last cruise it was stated on embarking that those passengers who did not pre-purchased their visa would have it charged to their account. You do need to bring passport photo's and complete a visa application.

India -- unfortunately you must do that beforehand and you will not be allowed to board without it. Nice thing it is good for 10 years.

Edited by PaulMCO

This charge made by the cruiseline is just about always well in excess of what you can do for yourself. It's easy enough to research visas for other countries.

Living in NYC we have often gone to the consulate on our own for visas. In other cases we have used a service.

Just figure out what Oceania would charge and what other sources would charge, and just how much work might be involved for you to do the work yourself.

Sometimes it's worth just paying the extra money for the convenience.

This link is to the embassy: http://www.myanmarembassy.com/english/visa.htm. The government website can be found at http://evisa.moip.gov.mm/

What I found interesting was that for a tourist visa (per the embassy website) among other things they want a letter from you EMPLOYER. What about those of us who no longer have employers???

eVisas are now available for $50 but apparently only for people entering at three airports -- cruise passengers cannot use the eVisa.

Mura

Are you cruising in and out of the port, or flying in.

more and more the ship takes care if it and charges your account. as far as pictures at least on AZ they kept all the passports and customs met with them every port it seemed.

We were in Myanmar this February on Seabourn. They got our Visas for us and no pictures were required. They did charge us $50. You can get E-Visa on your own for $50. If you want to get your own regular Visa, be careful about the timing and don't get them too early. Here is the link to the website.

http://evisa.moip.gov.mm/

We were in Myanmar this February on Seabourn. They got our Visas for us and no pictures were required. They did charge us $50. You can get E-Visa on your own for $50. If you want to get your own regular Visa, be careful about the timing and don't get them too early. Here is the link to the website.

http://evisa.moip.gov.mm/

Oceania is not Seabourn....

Here is the email sent earlier this year --

Important Visa Notification

Dear Valued Guests,

We would like to remind you that a visa for Myanmar is required for guests of all nationalities. If you have not independently purchased the necessary transit visa, Oceania Cruises will handle these arrangements for you. The visa can be pre-purchased by contacting your travel agent or Oceania Cruises.

Guests who have not pre-arranged or pre-purchased the visa prior to embarkation, will be automatically charged the corresponding visa cost to their onboard account.

In order to process the visa, all guests are required to present the following items upon checking in for their cruise:

Myanmar Visa

For Myanmar (required for most nationalities), two sets of completed and signed visa applications and two passport size photos per guest are required.

Please click here download the Myanmar visa application.

Please ensure that you bring the required photos to be collected during the boarding process, as photo services are not available on board.

Just a note: the information I found yesterday stated that the eVisa is NOT available for cruisers, only for 3 airports. So do double check before buying one.

It would seem that letting the cruise ship do the visa is best since it appears that the money is the same.

I'm not going to Myanmar any time soon myself ...

Mura

I will definitely let Oceania get the visas for us.

Less trouble + we have enough OBC - it's a no-brainier for us.

Paul -- are you doing the Bagan land tour. It was very well done by Oceania and one of our cruise highlights. We had enough time to do the land tour plus one full day/evening in Yangon.

Paul -- are you doing the Bagan land tour. It was very well done by Oceania and one of our cruise highlights. We had enough time to do the land tour plus one full day/evening in Yangon.

Paul - thank you for that.

We haven't decided yet which tours we'll do.

A few years ago we spent 10 days in Myanmar on a land tour and have visited Bagan and we may very well want to go back (or do some other things that we have not done before).

Several years ago we befriended a crew member from Myanmar on the Marina and have been in e mail contact with him since. We'll try to visit him if he is at home at that time.

I will definitely let Oceania get the visas for us.

Less trouble + we have enough OBC - it's a no-brainier for us.

Definitely a no-brainer. Re: my previous post. I just found it very interesting that you have to have photos and we didn't. Didn't end up with any actual Visa in our passports either, just a stamp for the country. A most interesting country with much discussion about "The Lady" by all of our guides. I hope the the crew member will be home. How special that would be.

Definitely a no-brainer. Re: my previous post. I just found it very interesting that you have to have photos and we didn't. Didn't end up with any actual Visa in our passports either, just a stamp for the country. A most interesting country with much discussion about "The Lady" by all of our guides. I hope the the crew member will be home. How special that would be.

I think we'll take the photos just in case.

Hopefully our friend will be available - it would be very special indeed.

What about India?

Hi, could you tell me which cruise you are on for Myanmar? I couldn't find it and would love to do a cruise which stops there. Thank you. Nicole

I think we'll take the photos just in case.

Hopefully our friend will be available - it would be very special indeed.

Take the photos with you. If I recall correctly, the ship did need them. You probably won't have another opportunity to get photos taken and printed.

Hi, could you tell me which cruise you are on for Myanmar? I couldn't find it and would love to do a cruise which stops there. Thank you. Nicole

A segment of Insignia's world cruise from Singapore to Abu Dhabi in April 2017 has 2 1/2 days in Myanmar.

Edited by Paulchili

I am on a segment of the World Cruise April 14, 2017 sailing from Singapore to Abu Dhabi. We spend Tuesday April 18 to Thursday April 20 (2 PM sailing) in Yangon, Myanmar (Rangoon, Burma) before going on to Kochi, Mangalore, Goa and Mumbai in India and Dubai and Abu Dhabi in the United Emirates. This is many new ports for us -- never been to the Middle East or India but it was Burma that captured my DH attention.

Because the Indian government has out-sourced the visa to one company, and most have reported great problems with that company, after research we decided to just let O do the visas. We live outside of Washington DC and are very used to getting our own visas personally -- just not able to do that according to India's government website. Since we need India kicked in Burma too.

Come join us on this unusual set of ports. Good group already on roll-call and we participate in the WC roll call too for general information. Hope you come with us. Barbara

I am on a segment of the World Cruise April 14, 2017 sailing from Singapore to Abu Dhabi. We spend Tuesday April 18 to Thursday April 20 (2 PM sailing) in Yangon, Myanmar (Rangoon, Burma) before going on to Kochi, Mangalore, Goa and Mumbai in India and Dubai and Abu Dhabi in the United Emirates. This is many new ports for us -- never been to the Middle East or India but it was Burma that captured my DH attention.

Because the Indian government has out-sourced the visa to one company, and most have reported great problems with that company, after research we decided to just let O do the visas. We live outside of Washington DC and are very used to getting our own visas personally -- just not able to do that according to India's government website. Since we need India kicked in Burma too.

Come join us on this unusual set of ports. Good group already on roll-call and we participate in the WC roll call too for general information. Hope you come with us. Barbara

Hi Barbara, and thanks for the info. We are booked for another cruise over that time for 2017, but I'm hoping it will be offered for 2018 as well. I looked on the web site and couldn't find a shore excursion to Bagan. Do you know of any? Nicole

Not sure what Bagan is. Can you educate me. Hubby "collects" UNESCO, National Parks (US mostly but others too) and 1000 places to see sights so if any of those he would be interested. We were surprised at the few excursions listed but probably because the country was so closed off for so long.

Its high on my bucket list! Bagan was an ancient city ( 9th to 13th C.), known as the Kingdom of Bagan. Over 10,000 Budist temples were built, of which over 2,200 survive today. Its known as "The Bagan Archaeological Zone". Many ships do an overnight tour there so you can see the sunset drop over the temples. If you Google Bagan photos, you will see why it is getting so popular with tourists now. Nicole