Bringing Liquor on Board

CRUISER166

We are new to Oceania taking a Transatlantic cruise. I have heard the Oceania allows liquor and wine to be brought on board. Is this correct? If so, what are the limits?

I don't drink enough to justify a beverage package but I do like a drink in my cabin before dinner. On previous Celebrity cruises, which has a strict liquor policy, I was able to purchase a liter of spirits from Celebrity for in cabin use prior to sailing.

You can bring it on any way you wish. I have packed individual bottles (no more than 3, I think) in my luggage. Or in my carry-on. But if you want to bring on more, it can be in a separate case. There are some cases that are recommended for this purpose ... try doing a search here to find what others have recommended. I do know that Amazon has a number available for purchase.

They don't make it difficult!

Mura

Good to know. We will plan on buying a couple of bottles in Barcelona to leave in our cabin. A nice pre dinner drink or nightcap on our balcony would be wonderful.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

In every port you can pick up whatever you choose, 3 to 4 bottles in not uncommon per port stocking for the transatlantic run..... Remember weight when and bag limits if your planning on arriving with your stuff unless your flying first/business you might face a hefty bag charge on several hundred dollars . Best to buy local , Board the ship stow your stuff and head back to make a liquor run....

We stopped at Total Wine before boarding in Miami and carried on spirits to enjoy in the cabin and wine for dinner, paying the $25.00 per bottle corkage fee. Call Room Service for mixers and ice and you're all set.

If your sailing out of Miami, and stopping at several carribe ports, you will find super cheap booze/wine in every port. way better than Miami Charleston is an exception as they have state liquor stores, Note on Carribe wine purchase, many larger vintners pasteurize their wines to avoid spoilage in hot climates, Miami Key West, etc.... Making the wine immune to getting cooked while on the shelves

We stopped at Total Wine before boarding in Miami and carried on spirits to enjoy in the cabin and wine for dinner, paying the $25.00 per bottle corkage fee. Call Room Service for mixers and ice and you're all set.

Is there a $25.00 corkage charge on any (size) and all bottles of wine or spirits ? New to Oceania, and curious minds just wanting to know.

Edited by Desert_ Dweller
spreadsheet link to be removed

Is there a $25.00 corkage charge on any (size) and all bottles of wine or spirits ? New to Oceania, and curious minds just wanting to know.

If you take spirits aboard they are for use in YOUR cabin only

If you take wine to a public venue then there is a one time corkage fee per bottle

... and all bottles of wine or spirits ? New to Oceania, and curious minds just wanting to know.

Spirits must remain in the cabin. If taking a bottle wine into public areas there is a corkage fee.

Is there a $25.00 corkage charge on any (size)
I'm 98% certain that a one time I saw that the $25 corkage fee would not cover large bottles such as a Jeroboam but I can't see that information now. I would expect a litre bottle to be included but perhaps not for a Magnum. What size are you considering taking?

Spirits must remain in the cabin. If taking a bottle wine into public areas there is a corkage fee.

I'm 98% certain that a one time I saw that the $25 corkage fee would not cover large bottles such as a Jeroboam but I can't see that information now. I would expect a litre bottle to be included but perhaps not for a Magnum. What size are you considering taking?

And they are justifying that additional corkage cost exactly how? Does it take some sort of extra strong corkscrew? Two people? A cork is a cork and people here are lecturing others about "nickel and dimeing" on so-called mass-market cruise ships.

And they are justifying that additional corkage cost exactly how? Does it take some sort of extra strong corkscrew? Two people? A cork is a cork and people here are lecturing others about "nickel and dimeing" on so-called mass-market cruise ships.

The corkage fee does not represent a charge for labor, it is a financial inducement to patronize Oceania's Wine Cellars in the public areas where what they are selling is in direct competition with the imported booze.

Even then, the fee is at the option of the Sommelière.

If the wine which you carry on competes with their list, the fee is paid; if it is special and compliments their list, they may well waive it.

The key is in having great communication with the wine staff.

Quick aside, we served a Jeroboam of Champagne at my 50th Birthday Party in Privée on the Marina; the guest who had given me the wine insisted on paying the fee, so I remember it being $25

Corkage fees are not uncommon even at nicer restaurants on land that serve wine, I think the idea is mutual benefit and to politely accommodate patrons who want to drink their own wine instead of limiting themselves to the restaurant's selection. Of course the restaurants are going to resist a completely open BYOB policy for numerous reasons, an important one being alcohol/wine is going to be a major source of profit for any nice restaurant.

In the end it is a compromise that satisfies both guest and restaurateur.

Agree with ITGuyMD's comments.

In my experience, most restaurants in the US that allow you to bring an outside bottle of wine charge a corkage fee. The 2 main exceptions are some (but not all) restaurants with no wine list at all who encourage BYOB (usually due to local regulation prohibiting restaurant sale of alcohol), and restaurants that are in a wine region and encourage drinking the local plonk - where there may be a corkage fee that is waived for wine from nearby.

at many better restaurants...French Laundry comes to mind, there is a limit of 2 bottles ( 5ths) and a corkage charge of $150 per bottle BUT.... they will NOT let you bring a wine which is on their wine list or in their cellar... There is NO exception for drinking local wines....never saw that anywhere in Calif or France...... $25 per bottle or 5th is very reasonable....very

at many better restaurants...French Laundry comes to mind, there is a limit of 2 bottles ( 5ths) and a corkage charge of $150 per bottle BUT.... they will NOT let you bring a wine which is on their wine list or in their cellar... There is NO exception for drinking local wines....never saw that anywhere in Calif or France...... $25 per bottle or 5th is very reasonable....very

agree :)

The local-wine-exception restaurants I have seen are outside of the most famous wine regions - have seen in OR, WA, NY, I think even NJ. A third exception is restaurants that are co-located with liquor stores - often (but not always) they do not charge corkage if the wine is purchased in the attached liquor store...of course there aren't too many such locations!

• 10 months later...
You can bring it on any way you wish. I have packed individual bottles (no more than 3, I think) in my luggage. Or in my carry-on. But if you want to bring on more, it can be in a separate case. There are some cases that are recommended for this purpose ... try doing a search here to find what others have recommended. I do know that Amazon has a number available for purchase.

They don't make it difficult!

Mura

Just need some practical information. We will be on our first TA in May. In the past we have carried a few bottles of wine in our carry-on/luggage upon embarkation, replenishing with wines from local ports. However, if we purchase a case of wine prior to embarkation, does it need to be packaged/placed in luggage or can we simply present a case along with our luggage?

Just need some practical information. We will be on our first TA in May. In the past we have carried a few bottles of wine in our carry-on/luggage upon embarkation, replenishing with wines from local ports. However, if we purchase a case of wine prior to embarkation, does it need to be packaged/placed in luggage or can we simply present a case along with our luggage?

You can leave it in the case and check it like any other piece of luggage. Just have one of the porters put it on a cart for you and move it to the luggage check-in area.

As I said earlier we haven't done this ourselves. We take a few bottles of wine that fit easily into our luggage.

You could do a search on the subject. I've seen a number of posts where people have purchased "luggage" that specifically will take a case of wine. If I'm remembering correctly these are generally where the "importers" are bringing wine from the U.S. to a foreign port. This may not be pertinent to you if you are buying at the embarkation port.

Still, it was interesting enough to me to check them out at the time even though I had no intention of bringing so much wine on the ship. (If we'd been on the WTW cruise, I probably would have!)

Mura

• 2 months later...
As I said earlier we haven't done this ourselves. We take a few bottles of wine that fit easily into our luggage.

You could do a search on the subject. I've seen a number of posts where people have purchased "luggage" that specifically will take a case of wine. If I'm remembering correctly these are generally where the "importers" are bringing wine from the U.S. to a foreign port. This may not be pertinent to you if you are buying at the embarkation port.

Still, it was interesting enough to me to check them out at the time even though I had no intention of bringing so much wine on the ship. (If we'd been on the WTW cruise, I probably would have!)

Mura

We use these when we holiday and know that we are bringing a few things back with us to Texas .... there $70.00USD and a few of the wineries have their logo on them rather than TheWineChecks logo ...

the-wine-check-3.jpg