Breakaway planned refurbishment??

Has anyone seen official or speculation on which ncl ships may be refurbished in the coming few years?

I just booked the breakaway for a 10 day in April 2019 and at that point the breakaway would be going on 6 years and while that's still young, as a primary ship and one of few large ships sailing from the northeast, just wondering if she may get a small refurb prior to sailing.

What's her current condition? Anyone seeing any wear and tear beginning to happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This from the NCL website: https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/press-releases/norwegian-cruise-line-announces-2018-and-2019-deployment

Europe

Guest sailing with Norwegian Cruise Line can immerse themselves in the sights, sounds and flavors of Europe with five ships based in the region in summer 2018. Norwegian Breakaway will depart her New York homeport on April 15 for the first time since her inaugural season in 2013 for a 12-day transatlantic voyage to London (Southampton). Following her arrival in Europe, Norwegian Breakaway will undergo enhancements in dry dock and then journey to her new seasonal homeport of Copenhagen, where she will sail nine-day Scandinavia & Russia cruises through the summer season. Norwegian Jade will return to Europe in summer 2018 and sail a series of Norway, Iceland, and North Cape cruises from London (Southampton) and Hamburg, showcasing the spectacular Norwegian fjords, along with British Isles cruises on select dates. Norwegian Spirit will return as well, sailing longer 10-day Western Mediterranean and 11-day Eastern Mediterranean & Adriatic cruises from Civitavecchia. Norwegian Star will reposition from the West Coast to Venice, sailing a series of seven-day Greek Isles and Adriatic & Greece cruises from The Floating City. Norwegian Epic, which received ship wide enhancements earlier this year during an extensive dry dock, will once again sail seven-day Western Mediterranean cruises from Barcelona and Civitavecchia, showcasing the best of Italy, France and Spain.

This from the NCL website: https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/press-releases/norwegian-cruise-line-announces-2018-and-2019-deployment

Europe

Guest sailing with Norwegian Cruise Line can immerse themselves in the sights, sounds and flavors of Europe with five ships based in the region in summer 2018. Norwegian Breakaway will depart her New York homeport on April 15 for the first time since her inaugural season in 2013 for a 12-day transatlantic voyage to London (Southampton). Following her arrival in Europe, Norwegian Breakaway will undergo enhancements in dry dock and then journey to her new seasonal homeport of Copenhagen, where she will sail nine-day Scandinavia & Russia cruises through the summer season. Norwegian Jade will return to Europe in summer 2018 and sail a series of Norway, Iceland, and North Cape cruises from London (Southampton) and Hamburg, showcasing the spectacular Norwegian fjords, along with British Isles cruises on select dates. Norwegian Spirit will return as well, sailing longer 10-day Western Mediterranean and 11-day Eastern Mediterranean & Adriatic cruises from Civitavecchia. Norwegian Star will reposition from the West Coast to Venice, sailing a series of seven-day Greek Isles and Adriatic & Greece cruises from The Floating City. Norwegian Epic, which received ship wide enhancements earlier this year during an extensive dry dock, will once again sail seven-day Western Mediterranean cruises from Barcelona and Civitavecchia, showcasing the best of Italy, France and Spain.

Thanks for that! I hadn't found that on the site but had been looking because I thought she may be in need of some repairs and they may want to add some additional newer features since she hasn't moved since her inaugural sailings awhile ago.

Thanks for that! I hadn't found that on the site but had been looking because I thought she may be in need of some repairs and they may want to add some additional newer features since she hasn't moved since her inaugural sailings awhile ago.

My question is, how much refurbishment can they do in a two week period and get from Southampton to Copenhagen?

My question is, how much refurbishment can they do in a two week period and get from Southampton to Copenhagen?

I believe NCL ships are dealt with in a German Dry dock, not Southampon dry dock site. Two weeks will be enough time for them to get whatever they have planned on doing, otherwise they'd have planned more time, IMO. So, getting Germany to Copenhagen should be no problem.

If the Breakaway will no longer be based in NYC, what ship is NCL sending to replace it?

MARAPRINCE

The Escape is coming to NY in the fall of 2018 and joining the Breakaway there. After that, I am not sure.

The Escape is coming to NY in the fall of 2018 and joining the Breakaway there. After that, I am not sure.

The Escape will actually be in NYC spring 2018 and then it looks like both the BA and Escape will be there in fall 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like enough time to replace worn rugs and or furniture. Maybe some painting. Certainly not enough time to do any rebuilding but I doubt that ship needs any of that.

They can completely rebuild the interior of all of the public areas from the framing up and replace most of the room carpets and beds.

The Epic was in dry dock for it's 5-year update in late 2015 and they totally refurbed the interior and replaced two engines (requiring them to cut a big hole in the hull to get the old engines out and new engines in, in 3 weeks.

The attached link is to the Norwegian Edge promotional video NCL did for the Dawn

Does it list or does anyone remember how long the Dawn was in dry dock? They did a major overhaul in her!!

You can't compare the BA with the Dawn... Dawn is a much older (built in 2002) much smaller ship (only 2340 pax) so no comparison. The BA will not receive a full overhaul b/c it won't need it. Not sure what you're looking for but I really think 2 weeks is plenty of time to give the BA a little TLC which is all it will need.

You can't compare the BA with the Dawn... Dawn is a much older (built in 2002) much smaller ship (only 2340 pax) so no comparison. The BA will not receive a full overhaul b/c it won't need it. Not sure what you're looking for but I really think 2 weeks is plenty of time to give the BA a little TLC which is all it will need.

Wasn't trying to compare at all, just saw how much they did to the dawn and trying to get a timeline on how quickly these crews can work on these projects. The dawns transformation was impressive but I couldn't remember how long she was out of commission is all.

Wasn't trying to compare at all, just saw how much they did to the dawn and trying to get a timeline on how quickly these crews can work on these projects. The dawns transformation was impressive but I couldn't remember how long she was out of commission is all.

Ok, but the thing is, if they need to double the number of workers to get the work done they will. For the BA, I really think 2 weeks will be fine and if they don't get it all done, they may very well continue work after she goes back into service.

Please stop worrying about things you can't control and make up your mind to have a wonderful cruise. :D Just enjoy... don't sweat the small stuff, it's just not worth it.

Ok, but the thing is, if they need to double the number of workers to get the work done they will. For the BA, I really think 2 weeks will be fine and if they don't get it all done, they may very well continue work after she goes back into service.

Please stop worrying about things you can't control and make up your mind to have a wonderful cruise. :D Just enjoy... don't sweat the small stuff, it's just not worth it.

No one is worrying. Thanks for ALL of your input

The Dawn was in dry dock for 30 days. They both refrurb public spaces, moved restaurants, and built new restaurants during that dry dock. .

The Epic was suppose to be in dry dock (for a full overhaul) for 2 weeks. They extended the dry dock to 3 weeks when they decided to replace 2 of the main engines. The Epic was 5 years old. The Breakaway will be 5 years old. All of the public areas in the 5 year old Epic were demo'ed down to the steel and rebuilt.

We were on the first cruise Epic out of dry dock from Southampton to Barcelona. Our stateroom had all new furniture, all new carpets, all new tile in the bathroom. Couldn't exactly tell which bathroom fittings were new (maybe all). The walls were untouched. Our cabin steward said that he was doing tiling during the drydock and they finished after midnight the day of our cruise, which is why they were still setting up rooms until near sailaway.

There were a few interesting things including doing 360's in place in Vigo harbor to re calibrate the ship's compasses (because of the change in amount of metal with the new engines) and doing some acceleration and emergency stops (we were dining in Cagney's (aft) that night and the food was bouncing on the tables).

Epic Dry Dock

6edba39a40482b62a2a410e094bf8415.jpg

c213c6a4eae11527b4c67fb5aed20989.jpg

e28e49a0d3c4be555009ca1476821828.jpg

6e4a5be9aa0d97f20ba08ccef7d0120e.jpg

4e3c4e64d22760e07b62a52bccecab7a.jpg

62565d6ff09df913537766494f3f9529.jpg

Edited by BirdTravels

In 2016, I booked the Dawn for the first week back from dry-dock. The refurbishment took longer than originally scheduled and our cruise was cancelled. NCL did a nice job in making it up to us. But be careful in selecting the first week or two after a dry-dock or you may have to make alternate plans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Europe

Guest sailing with Norwegian Cruise Line can immerse themselves in the sights, sounds and flavors of Europe with five ships based in the region in summer 2018. Norwegian Breakaway will depart her New York homeport on April 15 for the first time since her inaugural season in 2013 for a 12-day transatlantic voyage to London (Southampton). Following her arrival in Europe, Norwegian Breakaway will undergo enhancements in dry dock and then journey to her new seasonal homeport of Copenhagen, where she will sail nine-day Scandinavia & Russia cruises through the summer season.

That sounds great - We will be leaving Copenhagen on June 25th 2018 so we should just about have a new ship!!

I believe NCL ships are dealt with in a German Dry dock, not Southampon dry dock site. Two weeks will be enough time for them to get whatever they have planned on doing, otherwise they'd have planned more time, IMO. So, getting Germany to Copenhagen should be no problem.

I thought that I read somewhere that the dry dock will take place in Brest, France.

Please correct if I'm wrong.

The Escape will actually be in NYC spring 2018 and then it looks like both the BA and Escape will be there in fall 2018.

That's true.

The Gem will reposition from NYC to New Orleans in late Oct 2018 for the fall and winter 2018/9 season.

The new ship Bliss takes over the Escape's slot for same season when she repositions to Miami from Alaska, so that is why Escape is staying in New York beyond Summer 2018 season.