August 26 - September 2 New England Islands

brumagin1

Overall, we enjoyed the trip. The crew was friendly and willing to help, although since most are only employed for 4 months the level of service is fine, but not excellent. The food was very good, and we were pleased to enjoy many local seafood offerings. There is a notice in the room identifying all of the local providers they use for meats, produce, seafood, etc. Their advertising is a bit misleading regarding "free" excursions. There were a few, but in most ports the excursion did cost $25 - 50 per person, reasonable, but not as inclusive as advertised. We did enjoy our tours, and the itinerary. The evening entertainment was not very exciting, but we were not expecting it to be. We were expecting the passengers to be older, which was definitely true. We felt young at 69 and 71. The biggest negative for us was the ship. The Star was built in 2007, and definitely needs to be refurbished. It's very "tired". The stateroom was a shock to us, and another passenger's description of feeling like they were in a dorm room seemed a good comparison. It was Spartan to say the least. However, the bed was very good, and the bathroom was fine with a nice, larger shower. However, the room does not look anything like the picture they use online and in the brochure for the stateroom we had. Ours was missing 2 chairs, and this was not corrected until after we complained, so the room steward was just ignoring it. Also, according to our captain, none of the ships except the new Constellation and Constitution have stabilizers. This was an issue for many onboard who were susceptible to motion sickness. Happily, we only had a couple of rough sails. I had read on this message board to take tape to use to keep the drawers closed, and it was definitely used on a rough night crossing. The drawers were banging open and closed on each swell. Once I taped them closed we slept well! While we would definitely sail with them again if an itinerary tempted us, we will not choose to go on the Star or it's sister ship, the Independence, unless they have been updated. We thought the captain, Cruise Director (Jim), and chef were wonderful. All three of them interacted often with the passengers and were available to chat as well as to help out with information or problem resolution.

Overall, we enjoyed the trip. The crew was friendly and willing to help, although since most are only employed for 4 months the level of service is fine, but not excellent. The food was very good, and we were pleased to enjoy many local seafood offerings. There is a notice in the room identifying all of the local providers they use for meats, produce, seafood, etc. Their advertising is a bit misleading regarding "free" excursions. There were a few, but in most ports the excursion did cost $25 - 50 per person, reasonable, but not as inclusive as advertised. We did enjoy our tours, and the itinerary. The evening entertainment was not very exciting, but we were not expecting it to be. We were expecting the passengers to be older, which was definitely true. We felt young at 69 and 71. The biggest negative for us was the ship. The Star was built in 2007, and definitely needs to be refurbished. It's very "tired". The stateroom was a shock to us, and another passenger's description of feeling like they were in a dorm room seemed a good comparison. It was Spartan to say the least. However, the bed was very good, and the bathroom was fine with a nice, larger shower. However, the room does not look anything like the picture they use online and in the brochure for the stateroom we had. Ours was missing 2 chairs, and this was not corrected until after we complained, so the room steward was just ignoring it. Also, according to our captain, none of the ships except the new Constellation and Constitution have stabilizers. This was an issue for many onboard who were susceptible to motion sickness. Happily, we only had a couple of rough sails. I had read on this message board to take tape to use to keep the drawers closed, and it was definitely used on a rough night crossing. The drawers were banging open and closed on each swell. Once I taped them closed we slept well! While we would definitely sail with them again if an itinerary tempted us, we will not choose to go on the Star or it's sister ship, the Independence, unless they have been updated. We thought the captain, Cruise Director (Jim), and chef were wonderful. All three of them interacted often with the passengers and were available to chat as well as to help out with information or problem resolution.

Thank you for making time to share your cruise experience. We will make sure to include a roll of tape in our "ditty bag".

Did the cruise line offer pre/post cruise hotel packages (that option seems to be " hit or miss")? Was parking available close to the dock? We do not do this cruise until next year, so some things may well change/improve. I choose not to dwell on the opposite also perhaps occurring.

NRayH

They recommend either the Hilton Garden Inn Providence or the Hilton Providence. I believe they do offer a minimal discount from "rack rate", but can't tell you that for sure. They do offer a complimentary shuttle from either hotel to the ship. When I enquired, they also offer a parking pass which you must purchase ahead of time from American for $100 to use in a city ramp. I don't know of any post cruise offers. You must be off the ship by 8:30 AM.

We stayed at the Hampton Inn and Suites, Providence Airport, Warwick, RI. They have a park 'n stay rate. We were traveling with another couple, so had Blacklane take the 4 of us to the ship. Taxis and Uber are also available. We were able to board before the designated 10:30 AM time, but waited in the lounge until they announced the rooms were ready. The luggage was all in our room by about 2 PM. Returning, we prepaid for the ship's bus transfer to the airport ($17 per person), $20 if you do not prepay at least 4 days before boarding. We then asked the driver to drop us at our hotel after his airport stop, which he did (took us straight to the car.) There's a Legal Seafood across the street from the hotel where we had a very nice dinner, and they also suggested several other restaurants within easy driving distance.

Also, if you happen to be making your drive a 2 day trip, we stayed just east of Albany on I 90. The next morning we drove about 45 minutes to Stockbridge, MA and went to the Norman Rockwell Museum which we very much enjoyed. After lunch, we had about a 2 hour drive to the hotel.

They recommend either the Hilton Garden Inn Providence or the Hilton Providence. I believe they do offer a minimal discount from "rack rate", but can't tell you that for sure. They do offer a complimentary shuttle from either hotel to the ship. When I enquired, they also offer a parking pass which you must purchase ahead of time from American for $100 to use in a city ramp. I don't know of any post cruise offers. You must be off the ship by 8:30 AM.

We stayed at the Hampton Inn and Suites, Providence Airport, Warwick, RI. They have a park 'n stay rate. We were traveling with another couple, so had Blacklane take the 4 of us to the ship. Taxis and Uber are also available. We were able to board before the designated 10:30 AM time, but waited in the lounge until they announced the rooms were ready. The luggage was all in our room by about 2 PM. Returning, we prepaid for the ship's bus transfer to the airport ($17 per person), $20 if you do not prepay at least 4 days before boarding. We then asked the driver to drop us at our hotel after his airport stop, which he did (took us straight to the car.) There's a Legal Seafood across the street from the hotel where we had a very nice dinner, and they also suggested several other restaurants within easy driving distance.

Also, if you happen to be making your drive a 2 day trip, we stayed just east of Albany on I 90. The next morning we drove about 45 minutes to Stockbridge, MA and went to the Norman Rockwell Museum which we very much enjoyed. After lunch, we had about a 2 hour drive to the hotel.

Thank you for the hotel information. We are only about a two hour drive (max.) to Providence. Our main desire is a safe parking environment (with out an outlandish cost). American Cruise Lines told us that they may have a "hotel package, with parking option, as we get closer to the actual cruise date, next year.

NRayH

You might want to check with the Hampton Airport, Warwick. We discovered that several locals often just pay for long term parking there when flying out of Providence. I think it was $8 per day. Of course you would have transfers to and from the ship.

You might want to check with the Hampton Airport, Warwick. We discovered that several locals often just pay for long term parking there when flying out of Providence. I think it was $8 per day. Of course you would have transfers to and from the ship.

Thank you for this suggestion. I'll look into this option, if ACL does not provide a suitable alternative.

NRayH