Terrace Buffet question

Trekker954

Is seating at the Terrace Buffet at your discretion or does Oceania staff make you sit with others. If I want to on some night just escape and eat dinner alone with a book, would I be able to do this (Regatta)? My cruise is over 3 weeks long

I was extremely disappointed when trying to reserve the specialty 45 days out, all was left was 8:30 and 9 pm dining. So this is a luxury cruiseline, I couldn't even book a normal time. Anyway, I'm thinking while my friends eat late, I can just go to the buffet. I'm not so into four course meals as others and nor do I like a 2 or 3 hour meal.

I was extremely disappointed when trying to reserve the specialty 45 days out, all was left was 8:30 and 9 pm dining. So this is a luxury cruiseline, I couldn't even book a normal time. Anyway, I'm thinking while my friends eat late, I can just go to the buffet. I'm not so into four course meals as others and nor do I like a 2 or 3 hour meal.

When you board the ship there will be a waiter at the Ambassador’s desk on deck 5, port side, near the stairs. He is there to assist with the specialty restaurant reservations. Also, speak with the maitre d and they will be able to assist you. Times do open and you may book more reservations than your allotment if space is available.

It sounds like Terrace will be just right for you, Linda. They don't rush you out but it's certainly not a slow course-by-course dinner either.

As Cruseforme says, no problem sitting by yourself! Actually, none of the restaurants FORCE you to do so. You can run into a problem getting a table for two in the specialties if you are looking for a reservation at the height of the restaurant's popularity.

Even in the GDR we've more often ended up at a table for two when we really wanted to share than the other way around. It's a matter of how many people who want to share show up at the same time. They don't want to put a couple at a table for six (or even four) and then have no one else show up soon after. They want to keep the table moving -- some will question that given common complaints about slow service! We haven't really encountered that except when we were at a table for 8 ... But I don't deny it can happen.

Mura

Is seating at the Terrace Buffet at your discretion or does Oceania staff make you sit with others. If I want to on some night just escape and eat dinner alone with a book, would I be able to do this (Regatta)? My cruise is over 3 weeks long

My friend and I are experienced cruisers who have gotten tired of long, drawn out shared dinners in the MDR, just like you. We don't mind doing it occasionally, but prefer to eat and move on. But our experience on other cruiselines was that the buffet food wasn't as good as the MDR so we were pretty much stuck with long dining room dinners.......until we went on Oceania in December!

GOOD NEWS: you have a pleasant surprise ahead....the food in the Terrace Cafe (buffet) is just as good as the MDR and the specialty restaurants. Everyday has different foods or themes, it is fresh delicious food, and they will freshly grill you steak, lobster tails, chicken, pork chops, etc.! Breakfast and lunch can be busy at peak times, but dinner was never more than half full between 5:30-7:30pm. And there's plenty of seating inside and on the outdoor deck. We were able to eat in a decent amount of time and have great food.

We also had the same issue with reserving the specialty restaurants. We were only able to find 5:30pm or 9pm on port days, nothing but 9pm on sea days. We took the early times on port days. But, honestly, we didn't think the meals we had in the specialty restaurants were worth all the bother of the reservation process. One meal in each was enough. Much preferred the buffet or MDR. Hope you enjoy your cruise and don't get stressed out....it's vacation. :D

When the weather is fabulous seats outside are at a premium

Also if 2 persons are at a table for four and seating is tight just ask to join them. Very common. You meet a lot of great people that way

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Mura

wanted to send you a message,but when I "punched" the "send a message", I got something about Microsoft edge.....help!!

How very odd. I don't use Microsoft programs unless I have to, and I use Windows!

Anyway, try mkievman at nyc dot rr dot com!

If that doesn't work (I'm sure it will) use mura at speakeasy dot net OR mura dot kievman at gmail dot com.

You're better off with mkievman or mura since I don't always check the gmail address!

Hope I can help ...

Mura

How very odd. I don't use Microsoft programs unless I have to, and I use Windows!

If that doesn't work (I'm sure it will) use mura at speakeasy dot net OR mura dot kievman at gmail dot com.

You're better off with mkievman or mura since I don't always check the gmail address!

Hope I can help ...

Mura

Hi Mura

Sent message to you using "mkievman" address....please let me know if you got it

thanks

wanted to send you a message,but when I "punched" the "send a message", I got something about Microsoft edge.....help!!

The URL is the email address (that you "punched") so I'm guessing Microsoft wanted you to identify an email program because your browser (Edge) didn't have a default already set up? But as you've connected now, moot ;)

[further note - if you hover over the hyperlink, you'll see the text containing the email address]

I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of food at the terrace at dinner time.On my last night wanted something not as fancy or complicated like in the specialty restaurants- I ended up eating there 7 times

The lobster was as good as any I had had previously . And it is fancier that other buffets on other cruise lines I had been on. It also has lot of the same items as the GDR.

Hope I can help ...

Mura

The problem is how docmark has his or her computer configured for programs that respond to "mail to" links. docmark needs to go to their control panel in windows and change mail to their mail program. This is for future links like Mura's in the future. Right now your mail program is Edge and why it opened. Mura's link is correct and works and if you hover over another link like Mura's the email address will show and you have it.

The specialty restos aren't that special actually. Don't fret if you can't get a reservation. Eat in Terrace and you will be comfortable in your casual clothes and the food will be equally good as in any venue.

I don’t know about that :)

I think Jacques is pretty special and beats anything that the Terrace has to offer.

As always, YMMV

I think Jacques is pretty special and beats anything that the Terrace has to offer.

As always, YMMV

Agree 100% about Jacques - best food on Oceania - even beats anything on Regent!

P.S. The off-topic subject of computers is a bit distracting - am I the only one that thinks so? While I hope that Mura is able to send her message, I don't think that we all need a computer lesson!

As always, YMMV

+1. Terrace food can be tiring on a long cruise. More choices at the GDR. The queuing at the grill can be an issue especially in the early period. I can live in Jacques and even Red Ginger.

thanks everyone for your input and reassurance. I ended up making 3 out of 4 reservations at 6:30 on port days and 1 at 7:30 on a sea day for our group of four. This should work out okay. 5:30 was never an option on my cruise. I guess on the 7:30 night, I will indulge in the afternoon tea goodies. I've heard that is awesome, but I was actually going to try and avoid that most days as I can't say no to a great cake or cookie. :o:o:o:o

Here is another question. If i have the beverage package that allows wine and beer with lunch and dinner, am I able to get my drink at the terrace buffet as well, or is that limited to the dining room/restaurants?

Thanks.

thanks everyone for your input and reassurance. I ended up making 3 out of 4 reservations at 6:30 on port days and 1 at 7:30 on a sea day for our group of four. This should work out okay. 5:30 was never an option on my cruise. I guess on the 7:30 night, I will indulge in the afternoon tea goodies. I've heard that is awesome, but I was actually going to try and avoid that most days as I can't say no to a great cake or cookie. :o:o:o:o

Here is another question. If i have the beverage package that allows wine and beer with lunch and dinner, am I able to get my drink at the terrace buffet as well, or is that limited to the dining room/restaurants?

Thanks.

It works in Terrace as well as Waves Grill.

Sounds like you didn't select "willing to share" a table.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums