Pre Cruise Days in Moorea... Rental Car or Not?

kkelley

It sort of depends on what you're looking for. If you're staying in one of the big hotels and just want to do an imitation of a slug as you get over your jet lag by letting the hotel grounds and restos take care of all your needs, then go for it. We have stayed in a smaller boutique hotel, Les Tipaniers, a couple of times and rented a car. So we can do our slug imitation in a number of different places.

Doing a circumnavigation of the island is seriously fun by car, and lets you see things you won't get to see on any of the PG ship tours when you return towards the end of your cruise.

We've always rented from Albert, and have had no problems.

• Like 1

Thanks for the response, we are staying in a smaller property Linareva. Les Tipaners was not available the dates we are going.:loudcry:

We do want to be slug's for sure, the whole point of the pre cruise days. But we won't have the full "spoil you" package by any means.. We are saving that for the cruise!

We have been on the cruise only once before I cannot remember if Moorea had buses or not.

Thanks again,

Kim

So far as I know, the only buses are shuttles from the ferry dock to the hotels, etc. We use these to get from the dock to Albert's where we rent a car.

Many of the restos on Moorea will come and get you for dinner, and return you to your hotel after.

There are taxis, but I've never used one. I've heard they are expensive, but in French Polynesia everything is expensive.

Although I haven't been there, you are very close to Pizza Daniel which has been highly recommended by locals.

Linareva is off the beaten trek but as mentioned close to Daniels Pizza which is very good, we've eaten there as few times. In fact your in easy walking distance to Daniels.

About a mile from Linareva is a well stocked store 'Magasin Varari'. About 1 3/4 miles is Tiki Village which does a great show though the dinner when we went wasn't all that great. Maybe it has gotten better but for years many would eat elsewhere and simply go for the show.

food%20final%20%285%20of%206%29-XL.jpg

IMG_1953-X2.jpg

food%20final%20%281%20of%206%29-XL.jpg

In regards to the car if your taking the ferry to and from Moorea (which I recommend as the ferry terminal on Tahiti is right next to the PG Mooring location) the easiest rental will be Pacificar/Avis which is right across the street from the ferry terminal on Moorea. This would be the easiest both going and returning to Tahiti.

We've rented several times from both Albert's and Pacificar/Avis. Never had an issue with either. The cars from Pacificar are typically a bit nicer/newer but a bit more expensive though not by much.

Over close to where you will be located is a huge statue of a Polynesian man ... great picture stop ;)

cultural%20center%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Have fun ....

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna
  • Like 1

Again, Thank you Doug and TBK for the recommendations. TBK .. why am I surprised you have a photo of the menu... ;p The pizza looks delicious, exactly what WE like thin, crisp crust.

So will they have a cold Hinano to go with that pizza?

I know if we have a car the entire time we will run around constantly and not relax.. I want to save our energy for the activities on the cruise (and our apatite).

Kim

Again, Thank you Doug and TBK for the recommendations. TBK .. why am I surprised you have a photo of the menu... ;p The pizza looks delicious, exactly what WE like thin, crisp crust.

So will they have a cold Hinano to go with that pizza?

I know if we have a car the entire time we will run around constantly and not relax.. I want to save our energy for the activities on the cruise (and our apatite).

Kim

Yes they have cold Hinano and Tabu . That picture is a half of a pizza. The fresh local pineapple makes it fantastic.

It's 500 feet away from your accommodations

I would definitely rent a car if I were staying at Linareva since it's quite far around in a fairly isolated part of the island (which sounds lovely, by the way.) That way you can pop up to Le Petit Village (clockwise), and around the south of the island (counter clockwise), and discover little restaurants scattered along the fringes of the island.

All this talk has made me want to go back! And I was there in October already!

I would definitely rent a car if I were staying at Linareva since it's quite far around in a fairly isolated part of the island (which sounds lovely, by the way.) That way you can pop up to Le Petit Village (clockwise), and around the south of the island (counter clockwise), and discover little restaurants scattered along the fringes of the island.

All this talk has made me want to go back! And I was there in October already!

I hear you Wendy .... I got the urge big time. I'm re-composing past pictures to keep me 'there' but I'm running out of material.

• 7 months later...