Blue Lagoon Island Beach Day Excursion

CruiserTeri

Has anyone done this excursion? Do you know if you have to stay for the full 5 hrs or if you can come back earlier if you want? Also is there shade? I have someone in my party that gets sunburned very easy and we did a beach excursion on our last cruise. You were stuck in the sun for the whole day and they had 2nd degree burns. I want to make sure that doesn't happen again.

Thanks for any info. Theresa

It's a great beach day. You can head back on the earlier boats if you wish. Shade is limited. I've been twice and had no problem getting shade both times, but it's not a guarantee. I think you can ask the staff if you need assistance getting shade, though, and I have a feeling they could help you out. The restaurant area is totally covered so there is always a way to get out of the sun if you wanted.

It's such a great day at Blue Lagoon. Something for everyone. We loved the aquatic park there in the water. As someone else mentioned shade is limited, but there are places you can find shade. It may not be in one of the shaded chair/lounge areas. The dining area is completely covered also. At the dock, there is a schedule letting you know when the boats are returning back to port. Also, when we were there, it also told what other visitors from other ships were visiting.

If you are looking for a really cool island getaway, it's an outstanding spot. Since it's a lagoon, no waves and the water is perfect. If you aren't really into swimming then it may just be "ok", but if you like to actually get in the water, it's the best spot I've ever been to.

Was just there 2 Sunday’s ago. Best beach day ever! They have straw umbrella’s both with and without tables scattered through out the area. Behind the umbrella thingy and to the left, was a shady area with loungers and a picnic table. 577b4064fcca15307ea0b3fc38ce0ed1.jpg48fde964d98b7be670928cfb216a3bf5.jpg47a9976a30eb6957ef4597e9e841971f.jpg47274ac1529e4955657d8bf5dd62a8eb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been there twice and loved it both times. We have been to Nassau 3 times and it has poured rain every time. So I have learned to wIt until we get there to book this one depending on weather, but maybe we are just unlucky.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Has anyone done this excursion? Do you know if you have to stay for the full 5 hrs or if you can come back earlier if you want? Also is there shade? I have someone in my party that gets sunburned very easy and we did a beach excursion on our last cruise. You were stuck in the sun for the whole day and they had 2nd degree burns. I want to make sure that doesn't happen again.

Thanks for any info. Theresa

We've been three times and going again in 29 days. We love this island. Yes there is shade, plenty of palm trees, hammocks and loungers. As always first come first served.

There are several ferries back to Nassau throughout the day, so you can head back whenever you want.

The Dolphins are amazing here, the food is good, beach food in a pavilion. There is a bar and gift shops. Beautiful location and not crowded which is a major plus. If you have kids, this is a great beach day, as the water is protected since it is a lagoon, so no waves. Nice sand. Lots of places to explore.

Have fun!

I am probably in the minority but this was the worst excursion I have been on and thought it was a total rip off (Blue Lagoon, Nassau). I was there in December 2010 so maybe things have changed. It was a run down resort style area with broken and extremely old rafts, chairs, etc. My biggest pet peeve was the "beach" area was not ocean front. It appears it was an industrial park they converted into a resort area. You swim in a canal like area. No ocean views at all. You could walk over to the other side to see the ocean but it has giant rocks to keep people away. Call me old school but a beach day IMHO is laying on the sand looking out at the ocean. I found no appeal to swim and look at a canal. I would much rather pay and spend the day at a hotel resort with a pool and an ocean beach. The time there was also very short. Back then the Epic came to Nassau at noon and I think the excursion was only 3 hours. I am not making any judgments about the swimming with the dolphins stuff but we did not like to see the dolphins confined in those small underwater cages.

I have taken so many excursions but this one has been the only one that is clearly a rip off IMHO. If you have small kids I could see a benefit of swimming in a canal. There are no waves and its probably safer than a beach. I am puzzled about the many positive reviews of the excursion (I know I am in the minority). Maybe because I live in Florida and familiar with beaches? Maybe cruisers who don't go to beaches are easier satisfied without seeing the ocean? I cant figure that one out LOL ;)

I booked it yesterday so I guess I will see how I feel about it when I get there. At least I will get to see the ocean allot on the ship :). Mostly I needed to know if there was a way to get out of the sun or to come back earlier if I need to and that has been answered. Thanks everyone.

I am probably in the minority but this was the worst excursion I have been on and thought it was a total rip off (Blue Lagoon, Nassau). I was there in December 2010 so maybe things have changed. It was a run down resort style area with broken and extremely old rafts, chairs, etc. My biggest pet peeve was the "beach" area was not ocean front. It appears it was an industrial park they converted into a resort area. You swim in a canal like area. No ocean views at all. You could walk over to the other side to see the ocean but it has giant rocks to keep people away. Call me old school but a beach day IMHO is laying on the sand looking out at the ocean. I found no appeal to swim and look at a canal. I would much rather pay and spend the day at a hotel resort with a pool and an ocean beach. The time there was also very short. Back then the Epic came to Nassau at noon and I think the excursion was only 3 hours. I am not making any judgments about the swimming with the dolphins stuff but we did not like to see the dolphins confined in those small underwater cages.

I have taken so many excursions but this one has been the only one that is clearly a rip off IMHO. If you have small kids I could see a benefit of swimming in a canal. There are no waves and its probably safer than a beach. I am puzzled about the many positive reviews of the excursion (I know I am in the minority). Maybe because I live in Florida and familiar with beaches? Maybe cruisers who don't go to beaches are easier satisfied without seeing the ocean? I cant figure that one out LOL ;)

I live in Florida, have a boat, go to beaches and sandbar, etc. I love Blue Lagoon. You went ages ago, the place has been totally revamped. It's practically different every year. Who cares if you can't see endless ocean? It's still saltwater, white sand, clear waters, and since it's not exposed - it's calm and pleasant. Good drinks, clean and modern facilities, good food, etc. etc. Suggesting it's a "canal" is kind of ridiculous. It's a large lagoon.

I booked it yesterday so I guess I will see how I feel about it when I get there. At least I will get to see the ocean allot on the ship :). Mostly I needed to know if there was a way to get out of the sun or to come back earlier if I need to and that has been answered. Thanks everyone.

If you want a nice beach day, it's seriously unbeatable. You will love it.

My husband and I went to Blue Lagoon for the Sea Lion excursion. It was an amazing experience! Blue Lagoon is clean and the people working there are so helpful and knowledgeable. We didn't swim at the lagoon but there were people there that looked like they were having a blast! There are signs everywhere so you always know where you are going or how to get there. Like someone else said, there is a board near the dock telling you the times the boat will leave for your specific ship. We watched the dolphins and the sting rays while we were waiting for our boat. I would go there again in a heartbeat! Have fun!

I live in Florida, have a boat, go to beaches and sandbar, etc. I love Blue Lagoon. You went ages ago, the place has been totally revamped. It's practically different every year. Who cares if you can't see endless ocean? It's still saltwater, white sand, clear waters, and since it's not exposed - it's calm and pleasant. Good drinks, clean and modern facilities, good food, etc. etc. Suggesting it's a "canal" is kind of ridiculous. It's a large lagoon.

I called it a canal because I was told it was once some sort of shipping or industrial site. It does not look like a lagoon or natural lagoon IMHO. It definitely is calm water. I prefer to see waves and have a natural beach. Its too fake and man made. C'mon now you are in the Bahamas and don't need to go to a fake beach with no view of the ocean. But to each their own ;) BTW, the photos someone posted are pretty similar to my experience. There is nothing in those photos that appeals to me unless you like to swim in stagnant water. But as I stated, I know I am in the minority. I went because of the "rave reviews." As soon as I got there, I was really surprised and wanted to leave immediately ;)

I live in a tourist town and I am always amazed how tourists flock to the worst restaurants and will wait in long lines for them. I understand the vacation state of mind. Not much can ruin a vacation on an island. Not trying to stop people from going but expressing my opinion since the question was asked. I have been to lots of tourist traps all over the world and this would be in my top 5 easily.

The OP asked if there was anywhere to get out of the sun and yes there are plenty of areas out of the sun. There is a large pavilion and other areas with tree shade.

Edited by david_sobe

I called it a canal because I was told it was once some sort of shipping or industrial site. It does not look like a lagoon or natural lagoon IMHO. It definitely is calm water. I prefer to see waves and have a natural beach. Its too fake and man made. C'mon now you are in the Bahamas and don't need to go to a fake beach with no view of the ocean. But to each their own ;) BTW, the photos someone posted are pretty similar to my experience. There is nothing in those photos that appeals to me unless you like to swim in stagnant water. But as I stated, I know I am in the minority. I went because of the "rave reviews." As soon as I got there, I was really surprised and wanted to leave immediately ;)

I live in a tourist town and I am always amazed how tourists flock to the worst restaurants and will wait in long lines for them. I understand the vacation state of mind. Not much can ruin a vacation on an island. Not trying to stop people from going but expressing my opinion since the question was asked. I have been to lots of tourist traps all over the world and this would be in my top 5 easily.

The OP asked if there was anywhere to get out of the sun and yes there are plenty of areas out of the sun. There is a large pavilion and other areas with tree shade.

I understand what you are saying, I lived in HI for a few years and became a beach snob. I don’t like a lot of beaches especially if they are not clean and don’t have sandy bottoms.

Blue lagoon is clean and very different from any beaches I have ever seen. With you living in FL you are probably more picky then the rest of us landlocked folks. For me, BL is right up there with Jost Van Dyke and I love the cove feeling.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

By far the best way to "see" Blue Lagoon Island in advance of going there, is to watch the many good videos on Youtube. BTW this is advisable for any cruise excursion. Just about every one is on there, some good videos, some not so much. But better than reading about it is to see it.

This one is a good example of a fairly recent video from Blue Lagoon:

When I go in April 2018, I will make a new video and post it here on CC.

Happy travels.

I am going on this same cruise and have booked the same excursion. Will be my first time there too. If I don't find shade, I won't be there long. Bought a waterproof case that hangs around the neck so I can get in the water without leaving things unattended. Solo.