Makeup on a transatlantic flight?

Froufie

So I am off to Barcelona again in a few weeks for another long and fun transatlantic (Barcelona to New York).

I do like my makeup and I think I look a bit scary without it LOL so usually when I go to work or travel I am wearing a full face of makeup. On weekends or if just at home I do let my face 'rest'.

I will be flying out at 5 pm from home connecting to an 8:45 pm overnight flight (7 hrs of hell as I am not a good plane sleeper - altho I am trying out a new travel pillow (trtl) and have a nice blanket ready to go....) arriving BCN 10 am (which would be 5 am 'my time')...I will feel and look like hell! LOL.

I was going to wear my usual makeup to the airport (e.g. 3 pm?)- then 'wash up' around 8 pm in my connecting airport removing makeup and doing my night time routine - but wondering if I am just being too vain?:confused:

I should probably just go to the airport 'barefaced' and do some moisturizing/teeth brushing before bed stuff - and then just try and relax on the plane (I will have some 'makeup' with me should I wish to put something on prior to getting off the plane?)

Just wondering what everyone else does and how they manage? (I have also been watching these youtube videos of women doing masks and a full nightime beauty routine on a long haul flight - but don't think I can handle that - maybe a spritz or two of some hydrating stuff? speaking of which are small aerosol cans allowed on board the plane??)

Your thoughts?

I would never go "barefaced" out in public....I AM scary!!! I scare myself!

You can carry-on 3.4 oz of liquid, whether pump or aerosol....it has to fit into your 1 qt. zip-loc bag.

I've never done an "overnight" flight since I was in my early 30's....and really have no desire to deal with those logistics! Heck, I look awful after an 8 hour car trip!

For overnight flights I wear my make up and use make-up remover wipes to remove on the plane prior to trying to sleep. An hour before landing I brush my teeth in the lav. Back at my seat I do light, one minute make-up---mineral powder base, mascara and lipstick. Enough to feel presentable but not anything that would be weird to do sitting next to a stranger.

I am of the opinion that anything you can do to help yourself get through long flights and long travel days is worth doing. If your day would be happier going about your normal routine earlier in the day before you leave home...and especially if bringing some of that routine to your travel day, doing something of a bedtime ritual in the hopes of getting some shut eye on the flight would help you, then by all means, DO that. I don't think it's vain.

I use a make-up remover wipe to take off make-up, either just before boarding the TATL flight or in flight before going to sleep, and then put on some moisturizer and lip balm. I have a pretty simple skin care regimen anyway, but would never dream of doing much more than that in flight, as I think it would be rude to hog the lavatory for an extended period of time for applying masks and serums and whatnot.

Upon waking or immediately upon entering the arrival terminal, I apply a very minimal amount of make-up to get me through.... usually just some concealer, powder, a touch of eyeliner pencil and some tinted lip balm. Sometimes our schedule is such that we connect at CDG or AMS and have several hours there, along with access to the biz class or frequent flyer lounge before our final flight later in the morning. If that's the case, I enjoy the chance to use the lounge showers to get fully refreshed.

I put on my regular make-up for red eye flights, maybe a little lighter on some things; it doesn't smear, so I just leave it on overnight and freshen up in the morning, if necessary, with lipstick and moisturizer. I might take one-make up remover pad in a tiny plastic bag just in case. And I do brush my teeth, of course.

At home I remove all make-up every night so I figure one night without doing that doesn't hurt.

But if you do really extensive and heavy make-up, that probably should be removed at night.

For T/A flights, I wear my daily make-up on the plane, then before I pass our from exhaustion (I rarely sleep the 36 hours before our T/A flights due to excitement), I use a moist make-up remover tissue and apply a light moisturizing lotion to my face. When I wake from my much needed slumber, I put on a bit of BB cream, use my combination cream lipstick/blush, run a bit of eyeliner, and done. It takes less than 2 minutes.

I've found the greatest things to bring on the plane are the little squeeze bottles you get in contact lens cases from the dollar store. They are more a great size for a couple of days worth of moisturizer and BB cream, and are so tiny, they take up very little space in my 3-1-1 bag.

Enjoy your trip!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Who cares what anyone else thinks!

If you are comfortable putting on some makeup before/during/before the end of your flight - do it.

I wear what I normally wear on these types of flights (tinted moisturizer, blush, lipgloss, mascara, fill in my eyebrows).

I would normally wash my face at night at home (in a hotel, on a cruise etc), but on a flight like this, I avoid the lavatory as much as I can, and I don't like make up remover wipes - so I just go to sleep. In the morning, I touch up with my products, and I'm good to go! I don't have an extensive make up or skincare routine - so it's easy for me. Everyone is different obviously, but this is just what works for me...

Living on the West Coast, my TA flights are a lot longer, (it's a 13 to 15 flight to Barcelona) so I'll just wear moisturizer, a waterproof mascara, & chapstick. I I normally don't wear much makeup day to day, just a sheer SPF base, concealer under my eyes, & an eyeliner, so I'm not missing much.

For me, the important thing is keeping my teeth cleaned while on such a long flight, I've become an expert at washing my face & brushing teeth in airplane bathrooms lol. I just ask for an extra water bottle and cup from the flight attendants, & use the little toothbrush & toothpaste that comes in the dopp kit they give you when you board & line the counter with a couple of little washcloths that are in there.

A hat & sunglasses are my friend when disembarking, :D

Thanks to everyone for their great advice and suggestions. If I was going to 'clean up' and take off my makeup it would definitely NOT be in the airplane bathroom but in the connecting airport washroom before boarding the overnight flight LOL.

I think I have decided to go bareface (:eek::o) ... I am thinking I will be more stressed worrying about taking off my makeup and ensuring I have everything with me - in usable sizes - than just looking scary LOL. Especially if flights are delayed or I am in a rush to my connection for whatever reason it would be one less thing to worry about. I can never sleep with makeup on so would be very uncomfortable if I couldn't 'clean' my face...

I just got a nice 'hydrating mist' from Sephora (https://www.sephora.com/product/hydrating-mist-P427350?skuId=1930882) which I hope to take onboard and use (maybe in the washroom so I don't inadvertently 'spray' my seatmates? LOL).... smells divine.... and will leave home with my normal 'evening' moisturizers on and bring some lip balm.hand lotion, etc. - and bring some extra sample sizes with me in my 3-1-1 bag as well.

I will also have a small makeup bag with me with and will have a 'cleansing wipe' along with some travel sizes of BB cream, concealer, eye pencil, mascara and lip gloss along in case I want to put something on in the morning before we land.... I also have the very small toothbrushes already 'impregnated' with toothpaste - find them very handy for travel - and always have a water bottle on hand as well....

...now to start stressing about what to wear and how to 'organize' my under seat tote bag to make sure I have everything I need handy and NOT in the overhead bin! LOL;p

Thanks to everyone for their great advice and suggestions. If I was going to 'clean up' and take off my makeup it would definitely NOT be in the airplane bathroom but in the connecting airport washroom before boarding the overnight flight LOL.

I think I have decided to go bareface (:eek::o) ... I am thinking I will be more stressed worrying about taking off my makeup and ensuring I have everything with me - in usable sizes - than just looking scary LOL. Especially if flights are delayed or I am in a rush to my connection for whatever reason it would be one less thing to worry about. I can never sleep with makeup on so would be very uncomfortable if I couldn't 'clean' my face...

I just got a nice 'hydrating mist' from Sephora (https://www.sephora.com/product/hydrating-mist-P427350?skuId=1930882) which I hope to take onboard and use (maybe in the washroom so I don't inadvertently 'spray' my seatmates? LOL).... smells divine.... and will leave home with my normal 'evening' moisturizers on and bring some lip balm.hand lotion, etc. - and bring some extra sample sizes with me in my 3-1-1 bag as well.

I will also have a small makeup bag with me with and will have a 'cleansing wipe' along with some travel sizes of BB cream, concealer, eye pencil, mascara and lip gloss along in case I want to put something on in the morning before we land.... I also have the very small toothbrushes already 'impregnated' with toothpaste - find them very handy for travel - and always have a water bottle on hand as well....

...now to start stressing about what to wear and how to 'organize' my under seat tote bag to make sure I have everything I need handy and NOT in the overhead bin! LOL;p

Congrats on going bare faced, you’ll be fine and the majority of the passengers don’t know you, we all look pretty rough on arrival, haha.

Just put on a big pair of sunglasses, a touch of lipstick and be done with it.

We too leave in a few weeks and I’m already beginning to stress about clothing options, we begin in Barcelona and end in in Oslo 17 days later. I will not overpack....I will not overpack.....but I always do.

Enjoy your travels.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi, I guess I am in a large minority (oxymoron).....I am in the minority in general.......the only make up I wear at all is some shadow and mascara and that is for work. For a long flight crossing the pond? I never wear it.......but that is just me.

I just turned 60 yesterday:) and maybe it is because I have never worn "face makeup" but I think my skin looks really good:D

On a cruise I usually just wear shadow, mascara and some lipstick and those items are just for evenings. Daytime I

don't wear it at all.

I don't think I look scary........but that is just my opinion. Wearing make up is the least of my concerns on a long flight.

Do what makes you feel most comfortable.

I agree, Lois. Happy Birthday! 1958 was a very good year :).

Just a thought. Do you think any man agonizes over whether he looks “scary” or not on a red eye?

Hi, thank you:D I went to Disney with a girlfriend for 4 days.....I must have had at least 1/2 dozen people give me compliments saying they didn't believe I was 60;).......not sure what you are supposed to look like but I feel pretty young:)

As for guys? I doubt it..........

Hi, I guess I am in a large minority (oxymoron).....I am in the minority in general.......the only make up I wear at all is some shadow and mascara and that is for work. For a long flight crossing the pond? I never wear it.......but that is just me.

I just turned 60 yesterday:) and maybe it is because I have never worn "face makeup" but I think my skin looks really good:D

On a cruise I usually just wear shadow, mascara and some lipstick and those items are just for evenings. Daytime I

don't wear it at all.

I don't think I look scary........but that is just my opinion. Wearing make up is the least of my concerns on a long flight.

Do what makes you feel most comfortable.

Happy belated Birthday Lois. And a major milestone birthday too.

I don't wear makeup on land, at sea or on flights. ;p :eek:

Keith

For long overnight flights, I usually just wear moisturizer, concealer, eye cream, and a tinted / moisturizing lip balm, and then reapply as needed during the flight. Hydrating face wipes, a facial spray mist, and a toothbrush, are also essential! Since my contact lenses tend to dry out on flights, I wear my eyeglasses.

Happy belated Birthday Lois. And a major milestone birthday too.

I don't wear makeup on land, at sea or on flights. ;p :eek:

Keith

Hi Keith, thanks so much:)