Trip insurance questions

icicle

I've got some questions about trip insurance that I haven't been able to solve by reading through old threads. Hoping I'd get some helpful answers here.

We are a family of 5 traveling to Alaska. My budget puts us right around $10,000 for the trip but because of the way the cruise fares divide my portion and my husbands is $2500 while the kids are around $1500. If I insure for a $10,000 value it will only payout $2000 per person if we had our trip canceled for a covered reason? So I really need to insure my trip for more?

Other complications:

My children and I are leaving two days before my husband. So I need to purchase two sets of insurance? Looks like it will cost a bit more but not significantly.

One of our kids will be rooming with my parents who are also on the trip. I believe they purchased insurance directly from NCL. Should this affect what I buy?

Thanks so much for any advice! I've never purchased insurance for a trip before and I appreciate this forum for all the great info that's shared!

You have to buy 5 different policies for each individual not 1 $10,000 policy to cover the family.

On the site http://www.tripinsurancestore.com you input the age of each traveler and the cost for each traveler. Some policies, the kids are free.

Start the policies on your departure dates.

What your parents purchased shouldn't matter.

But ask yourself what exactly you are insuring against?

Medical?

You're in the US? You work insurance will cover you.

Medical evacuation from the ship? this will be no charge as it is provided by the US Coast Guard

Cancellation? Maybe the credit card you used includes some level of trip insurance.

I usually buy travel insurance,,, but if it was an Alaska cruise, I'd have to think about it.

You have to buy 5 different policies for each individual not 1 $10,000 policy to cover the family.

On the site www.tripinsurancestore.com you input the age of each traveler and the cost for each traveler. Some policies, the kids are free.

Start the policies on your departure dates.

What your parents purchased shouldn't matter.

But ask yourself what exactly you are insuring against?

Medical?

You're in the US? You work insurance will cover you.

Medical evacuation from the ship? this will be no charge as it is provided by the US Coast Guard

Cancellation? Maybe the credit card you used includes some level of trip insurance.

I usually buy travel insurance,,, but if it was an Alaska cruise, I'd have to think about it.

We second the the suggestion to contact www.TripInsuranceStore.com - but suggest you CALL them rather than rely upon the online summaries of the policies that will pop up.

The "fine print" can REALLY matter!

Also, ask them specifically about the questions you've asked here, about the separate travel dates, plus the others insuring through the cruise line. (Also check whether the coverage through one of the insurers used by TIS might be either less expensive or better coverage - or both!? - than what the cruise line is offering.)

Enjoy!

RM