Bag Advice

I know a lot of people have given great advice on what types of bags to bring on cruises but my questions is a little bit different. Hubby and I will be sailing west Med out of Barcelona on June 3rd.

On our day in Florence, we have a couple small things planned but mostly want to spend our time shopping. I was looking at getting a smaller cross body bag to help deter pickpockets (I also plan on applying my due diligence in simple situational awareness, but what can I say? I'm a worrier) but I hear that in Europe, most places don't supply you with plastic bags when you purchase items. This is perfectly fine, but I'm debating on how big of a bag I should buy to fit my purchases while also not lugging around a giant satchel and making myself a target and giving myself a backache. Most days, we'll be doing some sight seeing, but I would also like to bring home some souvenirs. I don't plan on purchasing large items, but if I love something, I don't want to pass it up.

What have been your experiences in the past with bringing bags/purses ashore and buying souvenirs? Does anyone have a bag recommendation?

What about bringing your own small foldup shopping bag? They make some that fold up into themselves or a little bag the size of a cell phone.

https://www.amazon.com/Folding-Reusable-Grocery-Bags-Pack/dp/B071G12LP1/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1521827249&sr=8-2&keywords=fold+up+shopping+bag

That is so clever! I'm definitely picking this up! Thank you!

Yep, foldup nylon shopping bags - I have several and they travel with me always. My favorites are 1E from Monoprix, so if you're ever in France....Also found some for a pound in London, and some for also very cheap at IKEA in the States (including a teeny foldup backpack there for $4 maybe, it's great to pack if we know we're going grocery shopping eg when we have an apartment rental) https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20330491/

I wouldn't pay $15 for something when the $1 versions I've had have held up fine for years for travel. My first monorpix bags - still in use - are from 2012 I think. I don't use these for my daily groceries - I have heavier canvas bags I use at home.

I have several of these in various handbags 'just in case'!!

Also, if you're handy with a sewing machine as I am, make one from rip-stop nylon.

I made a much bigger than usual one for all our swimming etc gear for a day trip to the Great Barrier Reef when the normal size of shopping bag wouldn't have been big enough. I also made an internal zipped pocket for credit cards and cash

• 4 weeks later...
What about bringing your own small foldup shopping bag? They make some that fold up into themselves or a little bag the size of a cell phone.

https://www.amazon.com/Folding-Reusable-Grocery-Bags-Pack/dp/B071G12LP1/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1521827249&sr=8-2&keywords=fold+up+shopping+bag

Got some. Great suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I hear that in Europe, most places don't supply you with plastic bags when you purchase items.

I've never encountered this. I literally can't think of a single time i bought something in Europe and wasn't offered a bag. The main difference I've seen was in grocery stores in Italy (only Euro country where I've been repeatedly to grocery stores) where they typically expect you to bring your own bags, although they do have plastic bags they'll sell you for a few cents each if you don't have your own. Souvenirs though, I've always been given a bag. That said, I'm sure there are some places that don't provide them, so if you want to be prepared, bring one of the fold up totes as others have mentioned. I have one that literally folds up into itself to the size of an old flip phone, i.e. super small

If you are a club member with Chicos they are giving away a great tote bag (that zips into a small square). Excellent quality & it will reside in my suitcase!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you do forget to bring your own fold up nylon bags, they are sold all over the place and make a neat souvenir all by themselves. I love the things.

As far as valuables, I use a small crossbody bag that's basically a wallet on a string when I'm walking around. There isn't much inside of it. One credit card, and enough cash to buy lunch.

Plastic bags are available to purchase, when buying goods in UK. Very light duty for 5p, slightly more robust 10p. Took a long time to remember to take shopping bags but now have fold up fabric bag (approx 3 x3 inches )in each handbag ( purse).

Cross body bags and being alert are recommended in big cities and tourist attractions all over the World!

Quite a few UK retailers are seriously considering scrapping the availability of 5p single use carrier bags. Let’s face it there are plenty of alternative bags you could use these days. Good old fashioned cloth/ jute bags are a favourite here in the U.K. along with the nylon and polyester blend ones that fold into their own pouches, maybe secure your bags with a locking carabiner so they don’t get split up whilst walking around the shops. As long as you are not going for bold designer labels you should be fine with a foldaway bag (or a few)in your day bag. Probably best not to use the flashy bags with designer names on if you don’t want to draw attention from unknown watchers. I can imagine European retailers are also rethinking their carrier bags availability.

Perhaps go online and watch a street camera or two in the places you’ll be going to. That will give you a good indication of how the locals shop and what they use to get their goods home.