Astoria car rental?

novalab

Our late September cruise (2018) will be stopping in Astoria (Explorer OTS). We would like to rent a car and sight see on our own. For those that have rented a car at this port, how far in advance should we make the rental reservations and which company should we make them with? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! There are only 2 of us so a compact would be fine. I realize our choices are quite limited as to a rental car company in this port. Thanks again!

Enterprise is within walking distance at 261 W Marine Dr

Astoria, OR 97103. I reserved 3.5 months ahead of time, but they did sell out. This was in 2016, the first year Explorer did these itineraries.

My recommendation is to be one of the first off the ship and walk or cab there. Don’t take the Enterprise shuttle. It’s a small shop, so those who took the shuttle had to wait in a long/longer line. We did take the shuttle back to the ship after dropping the car off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
For those who have done this, any tips on where to go or what to see?

Three people from my roll call and myself (I was solo) drove down to Cannon Beach to see the Haystack Rocks, walked around Seaside, and ate at a seafood restaurant famous for its chowder. Before dropping off the car we drove back up to around Astoria and stopped at the Lewis and Clark Corp of Discovery site.

We had enough time at the end to drive around town, but we just headed back to drop off the car.

If your in port a while, a trip down to Tillamook and the Tillamook Creamery (aka Cheese Factory) is a fun excursion. Visit Cannon Beach. Lots of little shops and Mo’s. Mo’s has the best clam chowder on the Oregon Coast, definitely eat there!