question about tipping we have done on other lines

mundocruiser

We have cruised several different lines. This is our first cruise on Oceania. I always buy some chocolate bars of different types and take $1 bills. Any time we have someone come to our cabin for anything, I take one of those bills, wrap it around the chocolate bar and "tip" the person. Someone on these boards suggested it years ago as something he did. I have found it gets us really great service and builds a small relationship with the people who work in housekeeping and such. Over the years, the ship workers have thanked us at the end for these tips. Is this something that would be frowned upon on Oceania, or do the ship employees enjoy small things like this, too?

I don't want to offend them as they all work so hard.

Thanks for the information.

I am sure they appreciate the $

You will get good service with or without the chocolate ;)

We will tip the room service person if & when we order something

At the end of the cruise we leave an envelope with cash & a note to housekeeping staff to show our appreciation

we put the cabin number on the envelope so they will get to keep the extra $ & not have to put it in the tip pool

also mention their name in the final cruise questionnaire as this gets them better points to move up the chain ;)

I am sure they appreciate the $

You will get good service with or without the chocolate ;)

We will tip the room service person if & when we order something

At the end of the cruise we leave an envelope with cash & a note to housekeeping staff to show our appreciation

we put the cabin number on the envelope so they will get to keep the extra $ & not have to put it in the tip pool

also mention their name in the final cruise questionnaire as this gets them better points to move up the chain ;)

We always give them a mention in the reviews if they have done a great job. We might do the envelope with the extra cash at the end. Thanks for the suggestions.

We pretty much do the same. Depending on what kind of service we get, we'll give cash to the cabin crew sometime the day before we're to get off the ship. We also thank them for making our trip a nice one. Since we have a Butler, he/she will get additional cash and a thank you at the end (if the service is really good).

We’ve never pre-tipped on any of our nearly 100 cruises and we’ve always had great service, especially on Oceania. One thing we have learned is if you’re going to have a less than stellar crew person, they will be that way whether you pre-tip or not. With regards to candy, we’ve never felt that it was a good idea because you don’t know about allergies or dietary restrictions or religious restrictions. What we do give is extra monetary gifts at the end of the cruise to any worker who has gone above and beyond.

We’ve never pre-tipped on any of our nearly 100 cruises and we’ve always had great service, especially on Oceania. One thing we have learned is if you’re going to have a less than stellar crew person, they will be that way whether you pre-tip or not. With regards to candy, we’ve never felt that it was a good idea because you don’t know about allergies or dietary restrictions or religious restrictions. What we do give is extra monetary gifts at the end of the cruise to any worker who has gone above and beyond.

No one is speaking of "tipping" in advance (bribing). While I have a small percentage of your cruise experience, and know I will never hit 100, I agree with you that good service will be given whether or not there is a 'pre-tip'. Maybe it is cultural or my upbringing but I cannot see me handing cash to someone in advance. In fact, the absolutely very best bar service we have ever received was on a NCL cruise and we did not tip (beyond the auto added gratuity) until meeting with her on the last day. She dealt with everyone wonderfully with warm, genuine happiness; a very impressive person.

The OP is talking about giving a tip for things like room service when it is delivered. As for the candy if they can't eat it themselves or don't want to they can simply give it away. Someone will enjoy it.

While I have not added a gift of chocolate with a tip I know it is a big item.

We were at one port where there was a separate tender line for crew returning after shopping in port. There was an hour plus delay to get on a tender so lots of idle time. I was intrigued by the amount of stuff (even a string trimmer (and I thought the cabins were cramped) - someone at 'home' is getting a special gift!) and chatted with one of the crew. Many of the crew had armloads of things they bought and a number of them had foldable rolling carriers to pack all their goods. I soon learned that different ports were known for different purchases. At this port Costco was the main attraction, hence the weedeater, and was told a huge item was chocolate. I looked over the crew line and could see that many of them had boxes (and boxes) of chocolate bars and candy. Apparently a German port is the best for inexpensive European quality chocolate though. I realized the crew have all these ports mapped out. Bottom line is, chocolate and candy was clearly a big thing with that crew.

No one is speaking of "tipping" in advance (bribing). While I have a small percentage of your cruise experience, and know I will never hit 100, I agree with you that good service will be given whether or not there is a 'pre-tip'. Maybe it is cultural or my upbringing but I cannot see me handing cash to someone in advance. In fact, the absolutely very best bar service we have ever received was on a NCL cruise and we did not tip (beyond the auto added gratuity) until meeting with her on the last day. She dealt with everyone wonderfully with warm, genuine happiness; a very impressive person.

The OP is talking about giving a tip for things like room service when it is delivered. As for the candy if they can't eat it themselves or don't want to they can simply give it away. Someone will enjoy it.

We were at one port where there was a separate tender line for crew returning after shopping in port. There was an hour plus delay to get on a tender so lots of idle time. I was intrigued by the amount of stuff (even a string trimmer (and I thought the cabins were cramped) - someone at 'home' is getting a special gift!) and chatted with one of the crew. Many of the crew had armloads of things they bought and a number of them had foldable rolling carriers to pack all their goods. I soon learned that different ports were known for different purchases. At this port Costco was the main attraction, hence the weedeater, and was told a huge item was chocolate. I looked over the crew line and could see that many of them had boxes (and boxes) of chocolate bars and candy. Apparently a German port is the best for inexpensive European quality chocolate though. I realized the crew have all these ports mapped out. Bottom line is, chocolate and candy was clearly a big thing with that crew.

Thanks Yo. Your post addresses the question I had of the OP. We were really questioning the offer of chocolate with the cash. Concerned that it might be too kitschy or viewed as a condescending nuisance. But why not! If it is something that most will enjoy, we are willing to add the extra touch. Service is meaningful to us and we always want those that give us service to feel appreciated and acknowledged.

We were told on a Celebrity cruise by the crew when we did this that they just loved it. They said they rarely get access to treats like chocolate bars and that many of them love American candy. They said if they didn't like it, they would pass it on to a friend who did. We've been on several Christmas cruises and I always take the bars wrapped in the Christmas colors. They always say something about it. I was just wondering if Oceania crew were just on a different level and might not see it the same way.

We were told on a Celebrity cruise by the crew when we did this that they just loved it. They said they rarely get access to treats like chocolate bars and that many of them love American candy. They said if they didn't like it, they would pass it on to a friend who did. We've been on several Christmas cruises and I always take the bars wrapped in the Christmas colors. They always say something about it. I was just wondering if Oceania crew were just on a different level and might not see it the same way.

They will accept it with a smile

if they do not want it they will pass it on to someone who does

no worries

If it makes you feel good go for it :halo:

Thanks to all for the tips on tips :p

However, never forget that the very best thing you can do to recognize exceptional service is to name the employee, with details, in your cruise comment card. Tip too, when appropriate, but don't forget to tell the "Bosses" what you think.

An accumulation of favorable passenger comments leads to pay raises and promotions which will far exceed any monetary tip you can give. I have twice met employees who have been promoted since I last saw them and when I congratulated them on their promotion they, in turn, thanked me for the comments I had made on our previous cruise. I am told that passenger comments (good ones) are a significant factor in promotions.

Thanks Yo. Your post addresses the question I had of the OP. We were really questioning the offer of chocolate with the cash. Concerned that it might be too kitschy or viewed as a condescending nuisance.

Yes It does come across as demeaning... I mean a crummy $dollar and a candy.... It seems to me your treating crew as children,

Tip Room service, Forget the bar which charges you 18% and be polite and write a comment in the review That is worth more to then than a candy bar.. We tip at the end of a cruise and usually figure $10 a day in cash for the 2 of us.

So wrap the Candy in a $10 bill....

A dollar is frankly insulting in today's world where your laying out 5 figures for a cruise. It is like here is a bright shiny .25cent piece... put it in perspective, you not on a cattle boat like Celebrity or HAL...

Yes It does come across as demeaning... I mean a crummy $dollar and a candy.... It seems to me your treating crew as children,

Tip Room service, Forget the bar which charges you 18% and be polite and write a comment in the review That is worth more to then than a candy bar.. We tip at the end of a cruise and usually figure $10 a day in cash for the 2 of us.

So wrap the Candy in a $10 bill....

A dollar is frankly insulting in today's world where your laying out 5 figures for a cruise. It is like here is a bright shiny .25cent piece... put it in perspective, you not on a cattle boat like Celebrity or HAL...

My post referenced "cash". The OP stated "bills". I believe that is plural.

• 2 weeks later...

Isnt tip a way of saying an extra thank you to whoever has served you.

What does it matter if it’s $20 or $1 and a chocolate bar?

Tips/gratuities are there,in place for service as part of a cruise deal.

Not everyone gets free gratuities with their cruise.

Not everyone cruises regularly because they have an ample income.For some it can be a once in a lifetime holiday.Sneering at what one tips is juvenile.

As for pre-tipping for better service !!:mad:

I always find it interesting to read that cruisers give out candy as part of a tip.

I wonder if you guys also do that when on land at a hotel??

I suppose if you give money with it then it doesn't sound as demeaning as if you just handed out candy bags without the money but to me it is something I'd give to a child and not to a working adult.

I always find it interesting to read that cruisers give out candy as part of a tip.

I wonder if you guys also do that when on land at a hotel??

I suppose if you give money with it then it doesn't sound as demeaning as if you just handed out candy bags without the money but to me it is something I'd give to a child and not to a working adult.

As a nurse,we are always given chocolates by patients as a thank you,never saw it as demeaning.Just grateful someone cares. We aren’t allowed monetary tips as seen as a bribe,so chocolates are very welcomed to slightly make up for £8 an hour pay.

For some reason I had this crazy idea that Oceania didn't do room service. Is the menu posted anywhere?

I doubt we'll be eating much in our room since we just have a cubbyhole but it's nice to know the option is there.

For some reason I had this crazy idea that Oceania didn't do room service. Is the menu posted anywhere?

I doubt we'll be eating much in our room since we just have a cubbyhole but it's nice to know the option is there.

Link to room service menu...it’s about 2 years old, but from my recollection it’s pretty close now. Concierge class has the options of hot breakfast, but this should give you an idea:

http://www.thepreismans.com/riviera_mayan_menus.htm#room

I really am laughing. I give chocolate on holidays..Cmas and Valentines. I give it if I know the port is good and known for chocolate. Not always my but,er ir room attendant leaves. I have a couple collect magnets so I make sure I bring one back.

As far as money goes I always give to room attendant and butler. I will give extra to a bartender if I stay with thst person.

I also sail a lot at Cmas so always have gifts. They miss their families so I go shopping.

I really am laughing. I give chocolate on holidays..Cmas and Valentines. I give it if I know the port is good and known for chocolate. Not always my but,er ir room attendant leaves. I have a couple collect magnets so I make sure I bring one back.

As far as money goes I always give to room attendant and butler. I will give extra to a bartender if I stay with thst person.

I also sail a lot at Cmas so always have gifts. They miss their families so I go shopping.

Probably off-topic but is it too much trouble to spell out Christmas? To many of us it is

one of our holiest days of the year.

We have cruised several different lines. This is our first cruise on Oceania. I always buy some chocolate bars of different types and take $1 bills. Any time we have someone come to our cabin for anything, I take one of those bills, wrap it around the chocolate bar and "tip" the person. Someone on these boards suggested it years ago as something he did. I have found it gets us really great service and builds a small relationship with the people who work in housekeeping and such. Over the years, the ship workers have thanked us at the end for these tips. Is this something that would be frowned upon on Oceania, or do the ship employees enjoy small things like this, too?

I don't want to offend them as they all work so hard.

Thanks for the information.

The candy bar thing is something I never heard of. What we usually do: Is we leave on the "auto tip" & tip our cabin attendant for over & above service. We also tip our waitstaff the same way. On Oceania it's been different: You have NO "fixed" waitstaff to attend to you as in traditional dining rooms we've done in the past. You're seated in different locations in the Grand dining room. In this case we just leave on the auto tip & call it a day. The dining staff ALL share in the gratuity. W still tip the cabin attendant as he/she is taking care of us through the entire trip. This is pretty much what we'll do next Jan. as well.

Probably off-topic but is it too much trouble to spell out Christmas? To many of us it is

one of our holiest days of the year.

I've never seen "Cmas" only Xmas. Perhaps they're not Christian?? How would you write out a Jewish/Hindu/Buddhist/Islamic or other religious holiday? Would you "really" take the time to properly learn to correctly spell the actual holy day? Some food for thought!

I've never seen "Cmas" only Xmas. Perhaps they're not Christian?? How would you write out a Jewish/Hindu/Buddhist/Islamic or other religious holiday? Would you "really" take the time to properly learn to correctly spell the actual holy day? Some food for thought!

If I was referring to any faith's holy day, I certainly would try to respect it without abbreviations.