Not A Cruise Question, but a Pre-Cruise / Broadway Show Question

Hello all (especially New Yorkers) ~

I am arriving on 10/20 for 10/21 cruise. I want to see a show while I am in NYC. I just want some feedback on shows you have seen. They all can be quite pricey...so an educated decision is to be made. :rolleyes:

While the "themes" can be a personal preference (which I understand), I am just looking for overall opinions. I am looking at "Escape to Margaritaville" which is fairly new (and not so good reviews?)

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

We love musicals. However, we are not fussy and stop by the TKTS booth and usually buy there. You can download the TKTS app and see what is often available. When we were there in December we saw a Bronx Tale for about $75. Not the greatest, but very enjoyable. Previously, we had a good discount for School of Rock.

I am arriving on 10/20 for 10/21 cruise. I want to see a show while I am in NYC. I just want some feedback on shows you have seen. They all can be quite pricey...so an educated decision is to be made. :rolleyes:

While the "themes" can be a personal preference (which I understand), I am just looking for overall opinions. I am looking at "Escape to Margaritaville" which is fairly new (and not so good reviews?)

Margaritaville is high on my list also, should be able to get half price tickets via tkts booths , we see a average of 4 shows every year in nyc and almost always use tkts you can get a free app to see what shows are on sale

Come From Away is awesome.

It absolutely is! Well worth seeing.

Then of course there are also the classic fabulous shows, including Lion King and Phantom.

Escape to Margaritaville has received some of the worst reviews I've ever read. That said, someone I know saw it a few days ago (she is not a parrot head) and reported that she "kind of" enjoyed it, she said it was happy and colorful. Speaking only for myself, I would not choose that over any of the three shows I mentioned above, or some mentioned by others. But only the OP can know what he/she would enjoy most...

OP: have a great trip, and an enjoyable night at the theatre, whatever you see!

Then of course there are also the classic fabulous shows, including Lion King and Phantom.

Escape to Margaritaville has received some of the worst reviews I've ever read. That said, someone I know saw it a few days ago (she is not a parrot head) and reported that she "kind of" enjoyed it, she said it was happy and colorful. Speaking only for myself, I would not choose that over any of the three shows I mentioned above, or some mentioned by others. But only the OP can know what he/she would enjoy most...

Lion King tickets were tough but last time we were there TKTS had discount tickets for Phantom.

The Escape to Margaritaville reviews are in the same league as The Addams Family (which was almost comically bad).

There is this crazy show with no dancing featuring one 68 year old guy, a guitar, piano, and harmonica, and two duets with his wife... (But you’ll never get tickets to that now. My favorite two hours ever on Broadway!)

You guys are awesome! Exactly the kind of responses I was looking for!

I saw Phantom and Mamma Mia about 20+ years ago! And the Rockettes Christmas Show a bunch of times when the kids were little. Sniff, sniff. I have the CD Sound Track for Phantom...do not judge;p

Loving the input!

Thanks again!

You guys are awesome! Exactly the kind of responses I was looking for!

I saw Phantom and Mamma Mia about 20+ years ago! And the Rockettes Christmas Show a bunch of times when the kids were little. Sniff, sniff. I have the CD Sound Track for Phantom...do not judge;p

Loving the input!

Thanks again!

I will judge you to be a person of excellent taste. Quite seriously... Andrew Lloyd Webber is a brilliant composer, his melodies are beautiful. (BTW, his new memoir, "Unmasked," has gotten rave reviews. It's high on my reading list.)

I saw Phantom (for the first time) the week it opened on Broadway. I had already listened to the London cast recording a zillion times. :D

There is this crazy show with no dancing featuring one 68 year old guy, a guitar, piano, and harmonica, and two duets with his wife... (But you’ll never get tickets to that now. My favorite two hours ever on Broadway!)

I *finally* got picked for the presale for that last week and got two seats to see him. Not til November, but amazingly I managed to back them up to the day before my Hamilton tickets (also bought face value through presale/fan sale)

Springsteen Saturday night, Hamilton Sunday afternoon. A weekend dreams were made of.

I *finally* got picked for the presale for that last week and got two seats to see him. Not til November, but amazingly I managed to back them up to the day before my Hamilton tickets (also bought face value through presale/fan sale)

Springsteen Saturday night, Hamilton Sunday afternoon. A weekend dreams were made of.

Enjoy! Still can’t get Hamilton tickets. I was number 46,000 and change for the members sale at the Kennedy Center. We’ll look for the next round of tickets for 2019 on Broadway.

Was wearing my t-shirt on Equinox last week and someone spotted it asking if I’d actually seen it. She still hadn’t got a verified fan code! My wife and I are still shocked we got tickets. We had no idea just how hard it would be! I mean, I’m used to two computers, an iPhone and an iPad all on Ticketmaster at 10:00 on onsale day, but this was way beyond that!

Enjoy! Still can’t get Hamilton tickets. I was number 46,000 and change for the members sale at the Kennedy Center. We’ll look for the next round of tickets for 2019 on Broadway.

Go see Hamilton in London. The producers there are using a paperless ticketing system that makes scalping/re-sale of tickets virtually impossible, and means that tickets are still available long after they are first put on sale, and at the prices set by the theatre. Kudos to them (and Ticketmaster UK).

Quite seriously, we are on a westbound TA in November out of Southampton, and I was able to get Hamilton tickets for a date during our pre-cruise stay in London. :D

Once On This Island has gotten great word of mouth.

A show very much worth seeing that is under the radar is the current production of Sweeney Todd which is at the Barrow Street Theater in Greenwich Village. They have turned the theater into a pie shop, and the cast is all Broadway vets. It's priced higher than most Off B'way shows, but it is well worth it.

Was wearing my t-shirt on Equinox last week and someone spotted it asking if I’d actually seen it. She still hadn’t got a verified fan code! My wife and I are still shocked we got tickets. We had no idea just how hard it would be! I mean, I’m used to two computers, an iPhone and an iPad all on Ticketmaster at 10:00 on onsale day, but this was way beyond that!

It was easier to get Hamilton on Broadway than the Kennedy Center. I think its coming to the Hippodrome in Baltimore in 2018, but I'd rather go to NY, honestly. Its a nice weekend trip up on the train. Plus I get to bring back some good bagels :D

I’m still trying to get Hamilton tix. I did get the code but when they went on sale I was traveling. 2 hours later all gone. But there is an online lottery I enter every day. It’s legit my friend won. You need to download the app. Evan Hansen a little easier to get. My dd bought the tix thru stub hub. She didn’t tell me exactly what she paid because she knows I’m against using 3rd party sellers but millenials it’s the way they roll. lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It was easier to get Hamilton on Broadway than the Kennedy Center. I think its coming to the Hippodrome in Baltimore in 2018, but I'd rather go to NY, honestly. Its a nice weekend trip up on the train. Plus I get to bring back some good bagels :D

Don't forget some Black & Whites from Zaro's! :D

Thank-you Nitemare, for your response regarding Once on this Island play. I found the theatre an interesting design and thought it might be a different NYC experience.

I see you are from Boston and we will be in your city after New York. We are taking the Amtrak and spending a few days before we board a New England-Canada cruise.

Musicals and plays are definitely a personal preference as you note below. It also depends if you are looking for something new, something recent, or a classic.

From the New category:

A Band's Visit is the best reviewed new musical on Broadway right now and almost everyone I've talked to has loved the show. I saw it off broadway and found it beautiful and charming but really really slow... The critics have been eating this show up for almost two years though and it should be in the running for the Tony. Frozen just opened with okay reviews. I'm not interested in seeing the musical but it is hugely popular. Carousel and My Fair Lady are coming back to Broadway. Classics but with all new productions. I'm seeing Carousel next Thursday and My Fair Lady some time in the summer. Be aware that My Fair Lady is at Lincoln Center. Mean Girls is in previews and opens this week. It's got some buzz going right now and is the last of the big new musicals to open before the Tony's. I'm not sure Escape from Margaritaville or Spongebob or Once on this Island (the latter being the only one getting any sort of good reviews) will make it to October.

From the Recent category:

Hamilton, Dear Evan Hansen, and Come From Away are the best of the shows that are still around from the last two years. Good luck getting tickets... Hamilton is just an amazing modern musical. Dear Evan Hansen is the tear jerker with beautiful solos. Come From Away is the heartwarmer musical.

From the Classic category:

Wicked is no longer selling out so you can actually get decent tickets. I've always loved Kinky Boots and they have a revolving stunt casting so there's always someone non-broadway famous in the show. Book of Mormom and The Lion King are always wonderful.

If you want to take a chance, Pretty Woman is coming this summer and King Kong should be in previews when you get here.

Hope that gives you some ideas