First Cruise and First Trip to Bermuda

TyGrimmett

Hi All,

My wife and I are cruising to Bermuda this June with NCL, and will be docked from early Sunday afternoon to early Tuesday evening.

We plan to go on the twilight triangle cruise, as well as the shipwreck/reef snorkeling excursion.

We would like to do a couple of other things that I think would be easier to do on our own via moped, but wanted to get some opinions.

I'm thinking that if we rent a moped for a day, we could go from the dockyard to Hamilton to visit the crystal cave, the aquarium, Art Mel's, and then hit Horseshoe Bay Beach on the way back (or on the way there).

Would taking the ferry make our day any faster? Are there any places to eat and/or shop that you would recommend?

Thanks!

So you will be visiting Bermuda on the Dawn. You mention 2 excursions, when will you be taking them?

You mentioned renting a moped. I'm not sure you can rent a moped, but motor scooters are readily available. Are you experienced in driving a motor scooter or motorcycle? Have you been in a country where you had to drive on the left? Do you have experience driving 2 up? The roads in Bermuda are narrower than US roads. Most roads do not have breakdown lanes or side walks. Fences, buildings, and shrubbery border many travel lanes.

My suggestion is to read the the post titled "Should You rent a scooter in Bermuda???" by member hamlette.

As I read your post, I got the impression that you think that the aquarium and caves are in Hamilton. They are not. If you were to take a bus to them from Hamilton, it would take 20 minutes to get to the aquarium and another 10 minutes to get to the caves.

As for Art Mel's, it is in Hamilton, but it is take out only. I would suggest finding a park to eat your meal.

My suggestion would be to hire a taxi to take you from place to place. Otherwise you'll be trying to read a map as you motor scooter around; not my idea of fun.

An option would be to rent the electric Twizy.

If possible, do the aquarium and caves on Monday and Horseshoe Bay on Tuesday.

SBtS

The motor scooters are governed and underpowered. Roads are narrow, congested, and you’re on the left. Easiest way to end up in hospital as a tourist. It happens frequently.

Like others have said- if you must have your own vehicle rent a Twizy but taxis in my opinion are a much nicer way to see the island (especially if you wanted to take down some Rum Swizzles at the Swizzle Inn).