Stop at Alotau, PNG - Beach day?

Was hoping for a beach day there but couldn't find anything after a bunch of online searching. Thinking about taking a taxi to one of the beachfront hotels and using the beach there.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I figure from a hotel we should have no problem getting a taxi to get us back to the ship rather than using some secluded beach somewhere.

(I did also post this on Pacific Islands threads.)

It's an interesting port. The ships all advertise a 'Cultural Experience'. If you haven't seen PNG/Pacific Island dancers perform then it could be quite an informative excursion. They also have long boat canoes available for rides.

In the village area (walkable from the port) there are a couple of interesting bush churches up the hill from the market. The Catholic one has two or three small stained glass windows commemorating the Australian soldiers who fought here in WW11. There's also an important monument to the Australian fallen down by the shore.

The market itself seems to sell more beetle nut and the associated mustard stalks, than anything else and there is red juice everywhere you walk in Alotau.

There's a pub/resort close to the wharf where you can sit and enjoy a beer and a meal or some private companies operate snorkelling tours.

It's an interesting port. The ships all advertise a 'Cultural Experience'. If you haven't seen PNG/Pacific Island dancers perform then it could be quite an informative excursion. They also have long boat canoes available for rides.

In the village area (walkable from the port) there are a couple of interesting bush churches up the hill from the market. The Catholic one has two or three small stained glass windows commemorating the Australian soldiers who fought here in WW11. There's also an important monument to the Australian fallen down by the shore.

The market itself seems to sell more beetle nut and the associated mustard stalks, than anything else and there is red juice everywhere you walk in Alotau.

There's a pub/resort close to the wharf where you can sit and enjoy a beer and a meal or some private companies operate snorkelling tours.

Thanks for writing.

We've been to the Marquesa Islands and New Zealand so I'm guessing the dances are pretty similar. Which is why I thought we would pass on that.

I keep reading about the WWII historic sites. Will have to ask my husband if he is interested in that.

Still would love to get to a beach so maybe one of the local snorkeling tours would work. Any your recommend?

Thanks for writing.

We've been to the Marquesa Islands and New Zealand so I'm guessing the dances are pretty similar. Which is why I thought we would pass on that.

I keep reading about the WWII historic sites. Will have to ask my husband if he is interested in that.

Still would love to get to a beach so maybe one of the local snorkeling tours would work. Any your recommend?

Sorry DIane. There were a lot of detailed threads on here about tours from the PNG ports. From memory there are two legitimate (established) companies. Find those and hopefully they'll offer what you're looking for. I remember a young couple on our cruise had a whole diving trip mapped out from each port so the info is out there somewhere. Good luck.

Sorry DIane. There were a lot of detailed threads on here about tours from the PNG ports. From memory there are two legitimate (established) companies. Find those and hopefully they'll offer what you're looking for. I remember a young couple on our cruise had a whole diving trip mapped out from each port so the info is out there somewhere. Good luck.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

No real beaches nearby, but if you want to have a swim you can snorkel off the jetty near the Waterfront Lodge. They also have an outdoor thatched roof area that serves drinks and food and also there might be music or other entertainment. It's only about a 10 minute walk from where the ship will dock. We ended up doing a half day WW2 tour with a private company then have a drink at the Waterfront Lodge before heading back to the ship. I believe there was a boat on the jetty that offered fishing and other snorkelling opportunities as well

No real beaches nearby, but if you want to have a swim you can snorkel off the jetty near the Waterfront Lodge. They also have an outdoor thatched roof area that serves drinks and food and also there might be music or other entertainment. It's only about a 10 minute walk from where the ship will dock. We ended up doing a half day WW2 tour with a private company then have a drink at the Waterfront Lodge before heading back to the ship. I believe there was a boat on the jetty that offered fishing and other snorkelling opportunities as well

Thanks!

And was wondering if you had the name of the tour company you used.

On our visit to Alotau, we were particularly interested in the WW2 history as DW's father had served there in WW2. We booked an afternoon tour which took us to 3 historic sites -this was booked thru the ship (Sun Princess) & we really enjoyed it - we went to Waga Waga to see where the Japanese landed, to the airfields built by the Allied forces & to the memorial. All along the way we had commentary about the area, and at the airfield we had a very moving presentation from a local lady about the events 75 years ago.

Prior to the tour we walked to the Waterfront Lodge, and enjoyed views over the bay, nice cold drinks, some lunch and some musical entertainment from a local band.

We really enjoyed our day.

On our visit to Alotau, we were particularly interested in the WW2 history as DW's father had served there in WW2. We booked an afternoon tour which took us to 3 historic sites -this was booked thru the ship (Sun Princess) & we really enjoyed it - we went to Waga Waga to see where the Japanese landed, to the airfields built by the Allied forces & to the memorial. All along the way we had commentary about the area, and at the airfield we had a very moving presentation from a local lady about the events 75 years ago.

Prior to the tour we walked to the Waterfront Lodge, and enjoyed views over the bay, nice cold drinks, some lunch and some musical entertainment from a local band.

We really enjoyed our day.

Thank you.

Thanks!

And was wondering if you had the name of the tour company you used.

Hi Diane.

We used Alotau Tours. They don't have a website but do have a Facebook page with the tours and photos of experiences. The company is better contacted through Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/ALOTAUTOURS/

We ended up doing the Bawilai Village tour and WW2 History combo tour (4.5 hours), but they have individual or combo tours around Alotau. It was a great tour and a tour of 14 people.

The tour included: Bawilai Cultural Village

* meet local villagers, engage in discussions about our culture and way of life.

* demonstrations involving their daily activities including noni oil making and uses

*Forest Tour

* Traditional Cutural Dance

War History

* Japanese landing site at Ahioma

* John French Memorial

* Battle of Milne Bay memorial

* Turnbull Field memorial

* Gurney Airport (relic of anti aircraft gun)

Edited by ozzandwitchy