Sailing from Seattle

apcci2

Thanks. It looked like it was a long way.

I actually tried searching but came up with little. I assumed the question had been answered but is probably buried in a thread somewhere.

Depends a bit on your definition of open water. If heading to the ocean you may encounter ocean swells once you turn west after leaving Puget Sound, just before you get to the Victoria area to drop the pilot. Of course it could be flat calm!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
Is the view scenic the entire time?

Most of the cruise ships leave Seattle about 4pm. You’ll be able to see land pretty well until you get up into to the Straits of Juan fuca https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strait_of_Juan_de_Fuca just past Port Angeles Washington. It’ll be about 11pm or so before you get to the Pacific Ocean. The first sea day out in the open ocean can be pretty rough. We’ve been up there when it’s like glass and other times it’s pretty rough.

I've never seen a Orca coming out of Seattle or in the Straits of Juan fuca, they are normally more North. I have seen a lot of Hump back whales on the first and last full sea day. Just keep your eyes out on the ocean.

The view is GREAT! From the waterfront dog park in Edmonds, WA we can see 3-4 cruise ships one right after the other on a typical summer Saturday afternoon. We always wave madly in pure jealousy at the cruisers heading out on their adventure. We also try to imagine how far they have gotten into their vacation. Eaten at the Buffet? Unpacked their stuff and hung up the outfits for the fancy dining nights? Explored the ship? Sitting on their balcony sipping drinks and taking pictures?

(Look for us off the Starboard side of the ship. We're north of the big oil storage tanks and just south of the Washington State Ferry Dock in Edmonds.

Have fun. We'll be watching for you!

Edited by Mavrick_RN

Most of the cruise ships leave Seattle about 4pm. You’ll be able to see land pretty well until you get up into to the Straits of Juan fuca https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strait_of_Juan_de_Fuca just past Port Angeles Washington. It’ll be about 11pm or so before you get to the Pacific Ocean. The first sea day out in the open ocean can be pretty rough. We’ve been up there when it’s like glass and other times it’s pretty rough.

Thanks. The ocean can be unpredictable at times for sure. This will be my first time in the Pacific.

The view is GREAT! From the waterfront dog park in Edmonds, WA we can see 3-4 cruise ships one right after the other on a typical summer Saturday afternoon. We always wave madly in pure jealousy at the cruisers heading out on their adventure. We also try to imagine how far they have gotten into their vacation. Eaten at the Buffet? Unpacked their stuff and hung up the outfits for the fancy dining nights? Explored the ship? Sitting on their balcony sipping drinks and taking pictures?

(Look for us off the Starboard side of the ship. We're north of the big oil storage tanks and just south of the Washington State Ferry Dock in Edmonds.

Have fun. We'll be watching for you!

Maverick - love your post. Look for our ship, May 12, cruising on up - Eurodam, but we are on port side, so just pretend you can see us and wave! We will wave back! ;):cool:

• 3 weeks later...

To all that read this: Shame on Seattle, our beautiful city is now one big homeless camp. It is terrible. I have lived in Washington State in what was always considered Seattle's ugly sister Tacoma - WELL Seattle is now a mess. Such a shame that people who come to see our beautiful evergreen state and the emerald city are served up to the disgusting downtown on the water front.

To all that read this: Shame on Seattle, our beautiful city is now one big homeless camp. It is terrible. I have lived in Washington State in what was always considered Seattle's ugly sister Tacoma - WELL Seattle is now a mess. Such a shame that people who come to see our beautiful evergreen state and the emerald city are served up to the disgusting downtown on the water front.

????

????

I have been here for going on 20 years and worked16 of them right across from the Port. The homeless problem is no worse than it was back then (in fact it was worse in Belltown). The main issue now is that the city shut down the large homeless camps forcing them to find other locations which has made it a headline grabbing local issue. In fact one coucilmember has come up with a solution so short sighted and destructive that she has actually unified liberals and conservatives against her. Definitely don't let it dissuade you from visiting Seattle or taking a Seattle based cruise...the safety and beauty of the city is no different than it has been in the past.

And Seattle doesn't think of Tacoma as an ugly Sister...it is more like an insecure smelly little brother.

Edited by fastpitchdad

I have been here for going on 20 years and worked16 of them right across from the Port. The homeless problem is no worse than it was back then (in fact it was worse in Belltown). The main issue now is that the city shut down the large homeless camps forcing them to find other locations which has made it a headline grabbing local issue. In fact one coucilmember has come up with a solution so short sighted and destructive that she has actually unified liberals and conservatives against her. Definitely don't let it dissuade you from visiting Seattle or taking a Seattle based cruise...the safety and beauty of the city is no different than it has been in the past.

And Seattle doesn't think of Tacoma as an ugly Sister...it is more like an insecure smelly little brother.

I agree with both parts of your post. We just watch the news and shake our head at Seattle.

I agree with both parts of your post. We just watch the news and shake our head at Seattle.

Come visit, come spend money, come enjoy the great sites! However, the homelessness is definitely out of control. Now the city of Seattle with all their great wisdom is proposing a $500 head tax per employee. Great companies are threatening to leave… This will be resolved, But it will take time and a lot of patience.

Now, back to the Original question regarding the sites from leaving Seattle.

Most importantly, be sure to wave if you’re leaving from Pier 91. We spend most Sunny weekends up on the bluff enjoying the sights of having dinner on the patio.

One thing you might notice is your ship will not be playing any music when you depart. The fine folks in the city at Magnolia out lawed the speakers and noise from the cruise ships.

I personally think leaving from Vancouver is much more scenic than Seattle.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So after the ships leave Puget Sound do they typically sail into the open ocean (west of Vancouver Island) or do they follow the British Columbia part of the Inside Passage on the way to Alaska?

Ships leaving Seattle will typically use the open ocean route. Some of the ships that sail out of Vancouver use the BC part of the Inside Passage.

Thanks. It looked like it was a long way.

I actually tried searching but came up with little. I assumed the question had been answered but is probably buried in a thread somewhere.

The maps have a scale on them that you can use to determine the distance