Alaska Reading List

wesp

At the recommendation of someone somewhere on this board I read The Floor of Heaven by Howard Blum (2011). I later learned this "true tale of the last frontier" contains a bit of historical fiction, but I found it to be a good read and look forward to visiting some of the locations mentioned in the book especially Skagway and Dyea.

I am now reading Gold Diggers by Charlotte Gray (2010). Like The Floor of Heaven, this book also follows the saga of several real life characters whose paths crossed in the Klondike.

I also picked up a used copy of The Mile Post, a 700-page guide to roads and highways in Alaska. This book has very detailed descriptions of sights along major Alaska highways.

What books have you found helpful?

Wesley

The Alaska Cruise Handbook by Joe Upton is awesome! Detailed info about every port, including lots of history and photos.

Best of all, book includes a giant map with cruise routes and mile-by-mile info.

https://www.amazon.com/Alaska-Cruise-Handbook-Pap-Map/dp/B004MQ9F8Q/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1523816297&sr=8-6&keywords=alaska+cruise+handbook

i have this special dent in my wall where I pound my head every time someone recommends Michener's Alaska

I also have that special dent in the wall when Michener's "Alaska" is mentioned. Reading that book to prepare for a trip to Alaska always seems akin to me to giving a newlywed a "bodice ripper" romance novel as a guide to successful relationships.

I also have that special dent in the wall when Michener's "Alaska" is mentioned. Reading that book to prepare for a trip to Alaska always seems akin to me to giving a newlywed a "bodice ripper" romance novel as a guide to successful relationships.

Dent in the wall here, too. Made me question all of his books. Love the "bodice ripper" analogy.

I just finished and really enjoyed "The Great Alone" by Kristin Hannah. Fiction, taking place in the 1970's in Alaska. Family moved to Alaska with little knowledge about the area.

I also just finished this book! Maybe not what you're looking for (history, sightseeing, etc.), but a good book that details life in Alaska. Very enjoyable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Two more entries, one a book, the other a video.

Book: Not everybody's cup of tea, but if your reading tastes include mysteries and/or science fiction, it's really hard to beat Michael Chabon's The Yiddish Policemen's Union, a novel set in an imaginary world in which the State of Israel failed in 1948, and in which a new Jewish homeland was created in and around Sitka. The interplay of Orthodox Jewish society, American society and Tlingit native culture is both amusing and fascinating. Most people are unaware of Alaska's Jewish legacy, and while this book doesn't dwell on it, it's a terrific read and actually might add to your knowledge base of Alaska. Highly recommended.

Movie/DVD: It's only recently been produced as a DVD, but a "little" 1979 film, Spirit of the Wind, is - IMO - a must see for anyone interested in Native Alaska, dog mushing, and Alaskan history. It's the story of legendary musher George Attla, an Athabascan Indian who rose to become the greatest dog musher of all time. It's a moving story and great sound track with songs by the wonderful Buffy Sainte Marie. You can buy the DVD from the Rondy Shop online - https://rondy-shop.myshopify.com/products/spirit-of-the-wind-dvd - and also I believe from the gift shop at the Native Heritage Center in Anchorage. and for all I know maybe the best Native arts and crafts store in the state, the one at the Alaska Native Medical Center in Anchorage, and maybe elsewhere. I believe there's also a book with the same title available on Amazon.

Video clip -

Theme song -