How to arrange "pack lunches" for a group on a tour

CruisingGems

We have a private tour planned for a group of 12 on the Sun in Scotland in Aug 2018. Who can I speak to to arrange for "Packed Lunches" for the travelers? Do we need to wait until we board and speak to the Restaurant Manager? I know that at least one person has a severe food allergy.

Thanks for any advice.

I don’t know if this applies to Scotland, but in many ports you can’t take food off the ship. We didn’t encounter this on our Viking cruise, but I have seen them checking for food in other ports.

You usually can take packaged food like granola bars or trail mix in sealed bags, but nothing like sandwiches.

But do ask and let us know what they say. We found that they bent over backwards to accommodate any request.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm curious to see Viking's response. I'm not sure that making custom packed lunches is feasible when there are 900+ passengers going into port but they do strive to please!

They go out of their way to accommodate feeding everyone on port days. We returned to the ship around 3 PM one day and there were plenty of open face sandwiches at the bar in the Living Room on Deck 1. Bartenders were asking everyone passing by if they missed lunch and if they would like something to eat.

If your tour is private--could you build in a brief lunch/cafe stop? You will need a restroom break anyway and anyone who is hungry or thirsty could replenish. As others have said---bring some nuts, protein bars, piece of fruit (if allowed in that port) with you, especially for the person with food allergies. Viking will give you water bottles as you disembark.

We have a private tour planned for a group of 12 on the Sun in Scotland in Aug 2018. Who can I speak to to arrange for "Packed Lunches" for the travelers? Do we need to wait until we board and speak to the Restaurant Manager? I know that at least one person has a severe food allergy.

Thanks for any advice.

How long is your tour?

Every all day private tour I have arragned or have been on , there has been free time build in to have a bit to eat .

Guide and driver need to eat too. In many cases a sit down lunch was arranged by our guide before hand.

On shorter tours ,a 30 minute break or "bathroon break" is included. Enough time to buy a coffee and local snack.

A tour in Scotland with a break in a Scotlish pub sounds better that eating out of a bag sitting in a van or on a park bench, IMO.

On port day the main restaraunt is closed during the day.

You could order room service early or pick up some cheese ,bread, fruit in World Cafe to put in a bag to take ashore, if that is allowed in this port.

I am still pretty new to cruising, so I am not sure if I understand this. Would this be something the original poster would expect to pay a fee to obtain? Viking does not pack lunches for guests taking their own excursions, why would they do so for people off on their own? On our one cruise, Viking's crew went above and beyond, but is this a reasonable request?

Again, not expressing criticism, just asking what is acceptable. Taking food from the buffet to take off the ship feels like the not allowed taking food away from a land based restaurant buffet. But on the other hand, if you are on the ship at lunch time, they certainly do feed you. What is the usual cruise etiquette?

I am still pretty new to cruising, so I am not sure if I understand this. Would this be something the original poster would expect to pay a fee to obtain? Viking does not pack lunches for guests taking their own excursions, why would they do so for people off on their own? On our one cruise, Viking's crew went above and beyond, but is this a reasonable request?

Again, not expressing criticism, just asking what is acceptable. Taking food from the buffet to take off the ship feels like the not allowed taking food away from a land based restaurant buffet. But on the other hand, if you are on the ship at lunch time, they certainly do feed you. What is the usual cruise etiquette?

lackcreativity, I have to admit that I was thinking the same thoughts as you. 900+ passengers. Packing lunches for private tours. Reasonable request?

We actually love grabbing a bite to eat in Port. I make it a mission to try local fare. It's part of the experience.

I'm all for experiencing the local culture through a unique meal on shore, but a quick bite at a roadside rest stop or a port tourist trap is not "local culture" to me. And on many of the stops there are so many "top 10" things to see and so little time, that a box lunch on the bus is better than skipping one of the attractions [or watching the ship sail without us].

I'm all for experiencing the local culture through a unique meal on shore, but a quick bite at a roadside rest stop or a port tourist trap is not "local culture" to me. And on many of the stops there are so many "top 10" things to see and so little time, that a box lunch on the bus is better than skipping one of the attractions [or watching the ship sail without us].

I can remember so many "grab a bite" occasions from our travels that have added to our experiences. I had a sausage from a stand in Prague, an arancini in Verona from a little walk up counter, there were gyro's in Athens, and of course a slice of pizza from multiple places in Italy. Some of these places may have been geared toward tourists, but the food was delicious. The olives and cheese we ate in a square on Capri WAS one of the attractions! (Agree that none of those were worth missing the ship for, but that glass of wine and lamb meat balls on Santorini might have been!)

We also love experiencing local meals and culture...which is why we normally rent apartments before and after our cruises...but when we were on a tight schedule with our local company (Alla) we decided to pack a lunch. The first day we had lunch at a local place in St Petersburg. It was very good. At the end of that day she suggested box lunches for the next day so that we could have more time at the sights. Or we could have stopped somewhere. We took her suggestion and brought our lunches.

Scotland isn't Russia. We share a (more or less) common language. Good food is easy to find locally and, indeed, should be part of the 'must do' activities. You shouldn't miss our salmon, fresh, smoked or hot cured. Cheeses, scones, beef, so many wonderful things to eat it's just plain daft to think of sitting in a bus scoffing down old sandwiches so you can tick yet another old church off your list!

We booked a private tour for 6 of us for not much more than the tours for 16. We had lunch the first day in a local restaurant and could have done the same for the second but we chose to bring our own to have more time.

We took the Grand Tour with Alla and had 12 in our van, I guess for a little less than you did, according to your statement. The sit down meal was wonderful and the provided box lunch was provided during transit so we could see more and not be left behind after the ship sailed. That was certainly not any part of the equation.

When we went with Alla on the two day tour, lunch was included. One day a nice sit-down meal in a restaurant and the next day a box lunch provided by Alla.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

Assuming no changes to our scheduled Russia and the Baltic Seas next year (hope this sorry old world can get it's act together, for reasons large and small), we will be with Alla for a three day tour. They include lunch all three days. I am grateful, as at that pace, I think I will need a moment to sit and relax!

Scotland isn't Russia. We share a (more or less) common language. Good food is easy to find locally and, indeed, should be part of the 'must do' activities. You shouldn't miss our salmon, fresh, smoked or hot cured. Cheeses, scones, beef, so many wonderful things to eat it's just plain daft to think of sitting in a bus scoffing down old sandwiches so you can tick yet another old church off your list!

I love old churches and old buildings more than most people, and I never saw an old door I didn't want to stop and take a picture of, but the salmon I ate in Edinburgh at Howie's on Victoria Street was the best I've ever eaten. I still think of it fondly, as I do the seafood chowder we had in Limerick, Ireland.

We don't usually take the time for a meal when in port, but we do try to sample something as often as we can.