Never saw a single dollar tipped on the MSC Seaside last week.

tallnthensome

This is just an observation and my opinion. The ship was at least 70% European and South American and tipping must not be something that is done to my dismay. I took $200 in singles and tipped a dollar for every drink, and even cash tipped for Venchi and gelatos. The staff/bartenders was so happy when doing so. I never saw one other dollar given by anyone else. I thought the bar service was fast and excellent ...... waiters/waitresses on deck walking around taking orders and even orders in the buffet with the call buttons. They tried very hard to please and were always pleasant. I thought they deserved a tip as their service was better than on most other ships I've sailed. If you want to make some workers happy on the ship, throw them a few bucks. God knows nobody else did ..... Just saying.

Tall ... Tipping is an American custom which is not a European custom, plus the MSC blurb states that tipping is not necessary.

Just because you yourself did not see anyone else doing as you did does not mean it did not happen.

Tipping is not the custom on MSC and is discouraged

Part of traveling is learning the customs of the place that you are visiting.

God knows that not everyone seems to realize that. Just saying....

Well, I do tip on every cruise and because it may be a "custom" on MSC or discouraged (I don't believe that) doesn't mean I won't or others shouldn't. We weren't in Europe ......... I saw plenty of cash given last year and the year before. The bar staff wasn't "European" most of the time and they deserve tips like other bartenders on other lines. Perhaps the staff will quit and go elsewhere once they realize they aren't getting any extras. You can call it a "custom" , I'll call it being cheap. This was Miami, Jamaica, Mexico, and Caymens ...... not Europe. Perhaps some need to realize American customs here.

Tipping is not the custom on MSC and is discouraged

Part of traveling is learning the customs of the place that you are visiting.

God knows that not everyone seems to realize that. Just saying....

I was on this sailing as well....did tip some bar attendants as well as cabin stewards and waiters as well....all seemed very appreciative...did notice at guest services Friday some passengers trying to remove gratuities from bill...I wish they just built them into fare...first time on MSC and we had a great time, will sail again with right itinerary and price

We did tip extra on Divina. Not the bartenders though.......I think I will this time.

Those we did tip extra, we did at the end of the cruise. All were appreciative. None acted like it was unusual.

MSC have a "no tipping" policy. Instead they use the Daily Service Charge.

It is reported that if a crew member is seen to be given a tip they have to put it in the "pot" or risk being sacked.

To this end tips have to be given very discreetly so as not to fall into the problem stated above.

That is the most probable reason you didn't see any tips being given, that is not to say they aren't given

pete

I was on this sailing as well....did tip some bar attendants as well as cabin stewards and waiters as well....all seemed very appreciative...did notice at guest services Friday some passengers trying to remove gratuities from bill...I wish they just built them into fare...first time on MSC and we had a great time, will sail again with right itinerary and price
Good to hear Fred! I gave the room steward another $20 in cash. I had to go to the Service Desk on the last night and the day of disembarking and heard some removing gratuities as well.

The reason you didn’t see it is because what you’re doing is not the norm. Regardless of line, most people do not tip on a per-transaction basis, regardless of where the sailing is geographically located or where the ship hails from.

I have customarily tipped those that provided excellent service and went above and beyond at the END of the sailing. Stateroom attendant(s), waiter, assistant waiter (both in MDR), and anyone else that provided great service (I once tipped a particularly great sommelier on a Celebrity sailing) will receive anywhere from $20-50 from me, the night before we depart.

I couldn’t even imagine tipping by the drink. When I’m on vacation I look forward to the cashless system aboard, and don’t have to think about such things. Each bill has 15% gratuity added, so putting another dollar or two above that seems excessive - especially if I’ve particularly tied one on that voyage.

What you are doing is not normal, so if it’s the style you prefer to use when tipping, go for it - just know that when you don’t see others doing the same it’s because you’re the only one doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

MSC have a "no tipping" policy. Instead they use the Daily Service Charge.

It is reported that if a crew member is seen to be given a tip they have to put it in the "pot" or risk being sacked.

To this end tips have to be given very discreetly so as not to fall into the problem stated above.

That is the most probable reason you didn't see any tips being given, that is not to say they aren't given

pete

All ships I have sailed have the daily service charge or gratuity added, cash tips were extra. They all seemed quite happy to take them, no refusals, and into their pockets they went. They didn't seem to fear being sacked. I'm not saying nobody else didn't tip, I just never saw a cash dollar given anywhere and that is certainly not my normal observations and I've sailed in Europe two times previously.

The reason you didn’t see it is because what you’re doing is not the norm. Regardless of line, most people do not tip on a per-transaction basis, regardless of where the sailing is geographically located or where the ship hails from.

I have customarily tipped those that provided excellent service and went above and beyond at the END of the sailing. Stateroom attendant(s), waiter, assistant waiter (both in MDR), and anyone else that provided great service (I once tipped a particularly great sommelier on a Celebrity sailing) will receive anywhere from $20-50 from me, the night before we depart.

I couldn’t even imagine tipping by the drink. When I’m on vacation I look forward to the cashless system aboard, and don’t have to think about such things. Each bill has 15% gratuity added, so putting another dollar or two above that seems excessive - especially if I’ve particularly tied one on that voyage.

What you are doing is not normal, so if it’s the style you prefer to use when tipping, go for it - just know that when you don’t see others doing the same it’s because you’re the only one doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can understand what you're saying. I know there are daily gratuities charges for each passengers to your account each day. At the end of the cruise there is no envelope or paperwork to add tips and I can't track down everyone that served me and it's easier to have a few bills in my pocket. Some are saying it's not customary to tip and then you say you tip at that end ..... and others remove gratuities all together. Somehow I doubt that people were leaving extra cash on the dresser for their stewards and walked around at the end of the cruise doing it either. I hope I'm wrong. All I'm saying is the bar staff worked extra hard and I wasn't seeing the appreciation I've witnessed on my other cruisers. I hope I'm wrong with my observations but ......

To claim that people sailing in the Caribbean should tip because you do and it's a US custom does not mean they should do it! If you think that is the right way then why should those from Europe have to pay for bottled water when you get it free ?

If people pay the daily gratuities then why should they tip more? That's just double tipping. It's not being cheap, they are giving what the cruise line has asked them to give. And for context, I am British. So no, I don't subscribe to the American custom of tipping everything that moves.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

People tip or not as a custom of their country. I'm form the U.S. and I do tip extra, but I don't begrudge those from other countries doing what they always do. My beef would be from the trolls that want to take away the DSC. The last time I was on the Divina, in 2015, I asked guest services for envelopes to give some extra tips, and was told it was not encouraged, and they have none. There were some in our cabin if we wanted to mail somebody, so we used them for the cabin steward and wait staff. We did it hush hush, so others couldn't see it. We're going on the Divina again next November, and plan to bring envelopes, and do it again. This is my custom, and mine alone.

I myself pay the gratuities up front which for a family of 4 was an extra $350 so I don't plan on tipping any extra while I'm on board. I'm from the US and I see it just like when you go to a restaurant with a group of 4 or more friends and they automatically add a 15%-18% tip onto your bill, I don't tip on top of a tip. The only person I may tip is my room steward, like when they make it a point to remember my whole families name individually and just simple things that make the cruise more enjoyable.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Interested in this discussion. On NCL we see cash tips being given frequently. Sailing msc next year and saw on their site tips are discouraged.
I'm certainly not trying to offend anyone, let me say that first off. When I sailed the NCL Escape I saw many tips given and this was on top of the 18% gratuity. Saw it on the Vista last year and previous cruises as well. It was just an observation. I just felt that a cruise staff is a cruise staff no matter what line as they are from all over the world. The majority were European on MSC. If it's customary not to tip or give as a little as a extra dollar here or there or they are unworthy then that is ok too. Just saying the reactions the staff gave me from doing so made each dollar worth it. They were most appreciative and deserved it. I felt I would rather do that then dump it into a slot machine ......

If people pay the daily gratuities then why should they tip more? That's just double tipping. It's not being cheap, they are giving what the cruise line has asked them to give. And for context, I am British. So no, I don't subscribe to the American custom of tipping everything that moves.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

That is fine. I am American and choose to give a little extra to those that serve me kindly and personally as well. One knows not how much and to whom the prepaid gratuities go to and how much the line keeps for the house. This way I have a better idea. I hope they stick the hundreds I gave into their shoes and back to their cabin! LOL! ;)

I saw plenty tips given a lot of people palmed the tip and shook the staff members hand.i tipped even i thought service was hit or miss especially toward the end of the cruise.plus I used those bogus leftover vouchers with no problems.no one blinked an eye.so those of you who went on eBay to buy my extras and asked me a hundred questions then got cold feet.i thoroughly enjoyed them.

+1

@deliver42 Not just envelopes. I asked at Guest Services for some single dollars and they claimed they didn't have any.

I wonder if the OP didn't witness any tips being passed over, as people were being discreet rather than flashing their money around for all to see!

I must say this whole tipping culture in the US confuses the heck out of me. I mean, where do you draw the line? Am I supposed to tip the cabin attendant that brings me an in flight drink? How about the counter staff in the likes of a fast food restaurant, Starbucks, etc?

+1

@deliver42 Not just envelopes. I asked at Guest Services for some single dollars and they claimed they didn't have any.

I wonder if the OP didn't witness any tips being passed over, as people were being discreet rather than flashing their money around for all to see!

I must say this whole tipping culture in the US confuses the heck out of me. I mean, where do you draw the line? Am I supposed to tip the cabin attendant that brings me an in flight drink? How about the counter staff in the likes of a fast food restaurant, Starbucks, etc?

My tipping habits on a ship are higher. I know the long hours worked and seven days a week by the staff. Months away from friends and family in order to make a relatively low wage yet give me a 5 star experience. I don't tip at Starbucks ...... They aren't providing me any experience, aren't usually personal, and aren't working 12 hour days 7 days a week away from their children. Cruise experience here only for me.

+1

Exactly what I thought. when we tip no one would know except the recipient which is how it should be , why tip then brag about it

+1

Exactly what I thought. when we tip no one would know except the recipient which is how it should be , why tip then brag about it

Is that what you think it is? Bragging? Not seeing one dollar given to a single server or bar staff somehow becomes bragging instead of sad when compared to other ships sailed? All I can say is "wow" to that view of yours. I've seen bartenders on Carnival with handfuls of dollars and empty one's on MSC and people being defensive in making it that way. That's what I feel is sad. Giving a couple dollars to nice people is bragging? Sad you believe so ...... :rolleyes:

Is that what you think it is? Bragging? Not seeing one dollar given to a single server or bar staff somehow becomes bragging instead of sad when compared to other ships sailed? All I can say is "wow" to that view of yours. I've seen bartenders on Carnival with handfuls of dollars and empty one's on MSC and people being defensive in making it that way. That's what I feel is sad. Giving a couple dollars to nice people is bragging? Sad you believe so ...... :rolleyes:

No, you are missing the point just because you didn’t SEE people tipping doesn’t mean to say they didn’t. We tip but don’t feel the need to tell everyone

Sent from my iPad using Forums