Embarking in Sydney ..is it true that you can’t leave the ship once you have boarded?

Camelia-

It’s such a lovely port that it would be wonderful to get settled on the ship as early as possible and continue enjoying the city for the rest of the day. If that’s not possible would we be able to drop off our luggage with the porter and NOT check in until later? I noticed a lot of people sitting with their luggage obviously waiting to board and I wasn’t sure if it wasn’t allowed or if they just didn’t know that they could have dropped them off!

Thank you!

camelia

It’s such a lovely port that it would be wonderful to get settled on the ship as early as possible and continue enjoying the city for the rest of the day. If that’s not possible would we be able to drop off our luggage with the porter and NOT check in until later? I noticed a lot of people sitting with their luggage obviously waiting to board and I wasn’t sure if it wasn’t allowed or if they just didn’t know that they could have dropped them off!

Thank you!

camelia

Certainly seems to be at the OPT.

JUST DROP YOUR LUGGAGE, EXPLORE THEN BIARD.

When are you actually sailing? Sounds like you've already checked out the port. And are you sailing from Circular Quay or White Bay? If you're at the Quay you can drop your bags and go off exploring for as long as you like. Provided you don't end up missing the boat !

Thank you!

camelia

Camelia,

You can normally drop your bags off at the ship from around 1030ish. From then you have the option to board, or go for a stroll around the Rocks and Opera House area, and never be more than 15 mins away from the ship. Will mean you hang onto any small bag you would normally take onboard. We have done this several times.

Carl

There is a difference between dropping off your luggage and boarding the ship.

Especially if your next port is outside Australia when you would have cleared passport control...

• 4 weeks later...

About 12 months ago the Immigration rules were changed in Sydney. Once you board you cannot come ashore again in Sydney. There are plenty of signs to that effect in the terminal. One can drop one's bags off around 9.00 am and one can enter the terminal about an hour later to check in. Boarding doesn't normally commence until the earliest 11.00am when the Border Force people arrive.