Comparing Azamara to Oceania

jeanine

What are your thoughts regarding restaurants on both. We have always been happy with the food choices on Oceania. We might take advantage of a very good price for a cruise of the Baltic area

Never been on either one. If I'm correct Azamara and Oceania are totally class of cruise line.

I haven't been on Azamara but I've seen plenty of posts here from Oceania regulars that are very pleased with it, and of course some (I never tried to decide just how many that is) prefer it. If you do a search I'm sure you will find a number of threads on the subject.

Bear in mind that if you prefer Oceania's bigger ships, you might not be happy with Azamara since there are many here who no longer like the "R" ships. I am not in that category, but if you try Azamara at least for now it will be on an "R" ship.

Mura

As I have previously posted:

I attended a presentation by the Azamara CEO last year. When asked about the differences of A and O, he said:

Azamara is about experiences while in port. Oceania is about food.

Does that mean the Az doesn't serve food? Or that O doesn't make port calls? Seems like an incredibly silly comment!

Does that mean the Az doesn't serve food? Or that O doesn't make port calls? Seems like an incredibly silly comment!

I thought it was kind of obvious as to what he meant ;which was validated in the discussion that followed.

The R ships are similar on both lines as is the service and the passenger demographics. The noticeable difference (in his opinion, based on passenger input) is that Azamara's best unique selling point involves its port activities (e.g., the Azamara evenings) while Oceania's most unique selling point is it's unequalled food.

I thought it was kind of obvious as to what he meant ;which was validated in the discussion that followed.

The R ships are similar on both lines as is the service and the passenger demographics. The noticeable difference (in his opinion, based on passenger input) is that Azamara's best unique selling point involves its port activities (e.g., the Azamara evenings) while Oceania's most unique selling point is it's unequalled food.

Well, that may be his opinion but my opinion - which is what counts for me - is that O's ports and itineraries are generally more interesting to us. Further I, personally have no interest in the the Az evening stuff. We are quite capable of ferreting out the cultural features of ports and countries we visit that interest us and have no need to have the ship present us with a staged "cultural" event. I am fully aware that some people like the Az idea. But the Az evening is one event. How is the rest of the cruise?

It seems to me that Az is attempting to market a "unique" cultural experience as their signature feature. Maybe a good marketing appeal for a small segment of the population but it is unwise to completely concede quality food and service to Oceania. Cruising is about the total experience - ship, food, service, itinerary. If you cannot convince people that you can provide a good balance of all of that you will not succeed in the long haul. Basically, the Az CEO is saying we have this one thing that we think is really nice but O's food is a lot better. That is a silly position to take if you are trying to attract customers.

Well, that may be his opinion but my opinion - which is what counts for me - is that O's ports and itineraries are generally more interesting to us. Further I, personally have no interest in the the Az evening stuff. We are quite capable of ferreting out the cultural features of ports and countries we visit that interest us and have no need to have the ship present us with a staged "cultural" event. I am fully aware that some people like the Az idea. But the Az evening is one event. How is the rest of the cruise?

It seems to me that Az is attempting to market a "unique" cultural experience as their signature feature. Maybe a good marketing appeal for a small segment of the population but it is unwise to completely concede quality food and service to Oceania. Cruising is about the total experience - ship, food, service, itinerary. If you cannot convince people that you can provide a good balance of all of that you will not succeed in the long haul. Basically, the Az CEO is saying we have this one thing that we think is really nice but O's food is a lot better. That is a silly position to take if you are trying to attract customers.

Not really. I would think that CEO would want to offer some praise for a cruise line that so many people in attendance at the event had already spent many thousands of dollars to enjoy that competing product.

My reaction to the original quote was that it was a violation of Marketing 101 basics and therefore dumb (as well as a bit silly, logically).

The Az CEO's position should be that we provide everything that O does and in addition we have this wonderful feature that they cannot begin to match. Never give positive credit to the competition. If I were he and I was asked to compare O's food to theirs I would say something along the lines that O food is very good but we are trying to provide something very different with our Azamara evenings that is unmatched anywhere is the industry.

Once again, Marketing 101 (and politics 101) - spin it to your position just as fast as you can!

The rest of my previous post indicates why I am not personally buying his product - but that is, of course, just my opinion.

My reaction to the original quote was that it was a violation of Marketing 101 basics and therefore dumb (as well as a bit silly, logically).

The Az CEO's position should be that we provide everything that O does and in addition we have this wonderful feature that they cannot begin to match. Never give positive credit to the competition. If I were he and I was asked to compare O's food to theirs I would say something along the lines that O food is very good but we are trying to provide something very different with our Azamara evenings that is unmatched anywhere is the industry.

Once again, Marketing 101 (and politics 101) - spin it to your position just as fast as you can!

The rest of my previous post indicates why I am not personally buying his product - but that is, of course, just my opinion.

I'm no big fan of Azamara either.

That said, there is the real possibility that the CEO was just being honest about the perceived difference and could care less if the 20-25 invited guests bought a cruise.

We had a B2B2B Mediterranean and T/A booked on the Azamara Journey and switched to a similar O cruise on the Riviera for 2 reasons. The first being the price reduction from $525/person/day to $350 per day. The second reason was my DW doesn't drink and I may have a glass of wine at dinner, so we really don't like paying for drinks we're not going to drink. We also get PPG from our TA, so for us it's a no brainer with regards to booking O rather than Azamara.

As far as restaurants go, I'm sure Azamara serves some fine dishes, but so does O.

What are your thoughts regarding restaurants on both. We have always been happy with the food choices on Oceania. We might take advantage of a very good price for a cruise of the Baltic area

Have been on 2 cruises on each line. The food on Azamara is good. The food on Oceania is great.

One plus for Azamara is beverages are included. Decent selection of included wine. They have a red and white wine of the day that is poured for free. We thought they were good. Also, the included spirits were good. Premium brands are and upcharge.

Azamara tries to special in longer port calls including later departures and overnights in port but Oceania also offers this too. It seems to me that Azamara does not offer this as much as they used to. Also the Azamazing Evening is a big deal for many passengers. We were not impressed. It was nice enough but not something we wold have wasted time on normally. I would have rather had an extra shrimp at dinner.

All things being equal would prefer Oceania but would happily sail Azamara again if we liked the itinerary

Well after 45 cruises and Azamara and four on O you know which line I like.

I love most if the AZ evening on shore. Some could if been better. I do nit go to all of them.

The huge draw for me is the very late nights in most ports to go out at night. Many guests do.

The crew is very friendly.

Food. I will just say I hate being served in the buffet. If you are on an O size ship I think you have better cabins and more choices to dine at night.

But you do nit have a real live DJ, your bars are quiet late night.

Would I go back on this brand ..I am so I do not freeze in Dec before I winter cruise on another line.

I love most if the AZ evening on shore. Some could if been better. I do nit go to all of them.

The huge draw for me is the very late nights in most ports to go out at night. Many guests do.

Food. I will just say I hate being served in the buffet. If you are on an O size ship I think you have better cabins and more choices to dine at night.

Would I go back on this brand ..I am so I do not freeze in Dec before I winter cruise on another line.

Interesting. NOT being served in the "buffet" is a deal breaker for me. The thought of folks who have not washed their hands touching the food and/or utensils is gross.

Be serious.

Azamara is smaller and they do serve food, but they go to very interesting ports.

Oceania, at least the Riviera and Marina are larger and much more luxurious and known for their spectacular food. Their ports are not as interesting.

If you go on the other ships owned by Oceania, they have better ports, but are small like Azamara.

Hey look!!!

3 people actually answered the OP's questions:D

That a good sign thst three out of 21 posts people still know how to read.

Fir me it is easier to compare the R ships. The Onships are larger,have art and food classes and grist cabins. But always leave port early.

I think fir now hard to compare with AZ trying out new shows and fired two great piano players.as the loyal,AZ guests are not thrilled. But I have three cruises booked on AZ and one on an Onship this year.

Robbie, Robbie, Robbie!! It's not a silly question. Each line has it's "shtick". Oceania is about the excellent food. That's what they're known for. Azamara is about the ports & the destinations: Galapagos islands, Antarctica things along that line. Azamara takes travelers to less visited regions.

That a good sign thst three out of 21 posts people still know how to read.

Fir me it is easier to compare the R ships. The Onships are larger,have art and food classes and grist cabins. But always leave port early.

I think fir now hard to compare with AZ trying out new shows and fired two great piano players.as the loyal,AZ guests are not thrilled. But I have three cruises booked on AZ and one on an Onship this year.

What's even better are those who know how to spell! Gawd! This just has to be sarcasm in the raw!

Being in the food industry & having a large food service co. I'm so glad to see food being served by the staff on Oceania. You want to see me publically shame someone, just have them touch food with their hands. & I see them do it! Nothing like that one clod who sickens hundreds after touching the food.