Fishing in the Ports on Your Own?

Rode Warrior

I have done some sketchy research, and it sounds like one could fish from shore in almost any of the ports of call. I would like to be better prepared for such fishing. What have you caught in port (which one) in mid July, where and what did you catch it on?

If you go to Alaska Fish and Game online they have a ton of information about seasons, restrictions, permits, etc. you can fish off the bridge in Ketchikan or near the hatchery in Juneau. Not sure about Skagway. Do you plan on bringing your own gear?

I am an avid fisherman and love fishing in Alaska. However, fishing on shore off the ship is not as great as it sounds. The terrain in SE Alaska is very steep and the rivers are short with lots of falls and rapids. The salmon will be running in Mid-July but are notoriously hard to catch on rod and reel off the dock. There are almost no streams to fish around town in the ports. You can fish off the bridge in Ketchikan for salmon running up the creek to the hatchery or you can rent a car and drive out to Ward Lake/Creek also for salmon although there are some trout.. In Juneau you can also catch salmon on the dock near the hatchery (snagging is allowed there) or rent a car and drive 40 miles to the end of the road and catch pink salmon in Echo Cove. You used to able to fish in Pullman Creek in Skagway (also hatchery fish) but I think they stopped letting people do that several years ago when they reconfigured the dock area and the park, although I think there are places on Taiya Inlet where you can catch salmon. There are trout in Dewey Lake if you don't mind a short but strenuous hike. There are some good roadside areas around Haines, but that would involve the fast ferry to Haines and a rental car unless you are on a ship that stops in Haines.

If you go to Alaska Fish and Game online they have a ton of information about seasons, restrictions, permits, etc. you can fish off the bridge in Ketchikan or near the hatchery in Juneau. Not sure about Skagway. Do you plan on bringing your own gear?

Can you rent equipment in Ketchikan? I have some guys that what to fish off the bridge.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No snagging, bait is allowed, but check the most current regulations before you fish. For salmon I prefer pixies (the bright pink ones). I don't know if anyone rents fishing gear in Ketchikan. You would probably have to google it and call a few places to find out.

In Ketchikan, you can rent fishing equipment and get a fishing license on Creek Street - just near Dolly's House. I have seen a second rental location on the opposite side of the creek as well. Depending on when you go will depend on what is available and what type of fishing is allowed. Creek Street Rod Rentals (907) 821-1975 is listed on http://www.experienceketchikan.com/creek-street-ketchikan.html

Also - I love looking at the Fishing Reports when you are in town - it gives a clue on what is available and what has been caught. (You can also look at the archives for the month/day you will be in town to see what happened last year!)

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/FishingReports/index.cfm?ADFG=R1.archive&Area_key=6