Suggestions that could make Viking even better!

dln929

We have now in our cabin a form asking for comments and suggestions. We've filled it in but I'll share what I put down and hope you'll add tours too since we know Viking reads this forum.

1. A few tables with sun umbrellas on the outdoor dining deck of the World Cafe. There's a nice shaded area already but an umbrella table here and there would be great. It can get pretty hot and sunny out there.

2. Expanded pool hours as the days grow longer. This cruise is the latest in the season we've ever been on a Viking Oceans cruise, so perhaps they do keep the pool open longer in the summertime. Today, however, the pool hours are from 8 am - 8 pm but it's not even dark out at either 8 am or 8 pm.

3. A few seats on the promenade on deck 2 that wraps around the ship. There's seating at the aft, yes (that not many people seem to know about) but it's often shady and too cool. I'd love to see some chairs or sunbeds on the eastern and western parts of the deck. There's not a lot of space but there is at least some space.

4. Selfishly speaking as I like a good Scrabble game, maybe a Scrabble dictionary by the games? Azamara has them and I've won many a game with their help. [emoji6]

5. It might be useful to some people if the greeter at the World Cafe would tell people if there is a cooking station on the patio by the bar. Many times it's written up in the daily newsletter but you'd be amazed how many people either don't read it or don't read it well. We always eat on the patio weather permitting so we never miss the special outdoor cooking but sometimes it seems that we're in the minority. Shame really because it's good cooking!

20180415_180711.thumb.jpg.101a986e297c5a0855b8b6a64295d6a8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920T using Forums mobile app

We have now in our cabin a form asking for comments and suggestions. We've filled it in but I'll share what I put down and hope you'll add tours too since we know Viking reads this forum.

1. A few tables with sun umbrellas on the outdoor dining deck of the World Cafe. There's a nice shaded area already but an umbrella table here and there would be great. It can get pretty hot and sunny out there.

2. Expanded pool hours as the days grow longer. This cruise is the latest in the season we've ever been on a Viking Oceans cruise, so perhaps they do keep the pool open longer in the summertime. Today, however, the pool hours are from 8 am - 8 pm but it's not even dark out at either 8 am or 8 pm.

3. A few seats on the promenade on deck 2 that wraps around the ship. There's seating at the aft, yes (that not many people seem to know about) but it's often shady and too cool. I'd love to see some chairs or sunbeds on the eastern and western parts of the deck. There's not a lot of space but there is at least some space.

4. Selfishly speaking as I like a good Scrabble game, maybe a Scrabble dictionary by the games? Azamara has them and I've won many a game with their help. [emoji6]

5. It might be useful to some people if the greeter at the World Cafe would tell people if there is a cooking station on the patio by the bar. Many times it's written up in the daily newsletter but you'd be amazed how many people either don't read it or don't read it well. We always eat on the patio weather permitting so we never miss the special outdoor cooking but sometimes it seems that we're in the minority. Shame really because it's good cooking!

[ATTACH]419802[/ATTACH]

I meant to say "share Yours too" not tours! I can't figure out how to edit spelling from my cell phone.

[ATTACH]419802[/ATTACH]

We had one of those forms as well, but I didn’t realize there was a deadline to fill it out - the mid cruise one. We did do the one at the end.

I wrote that I didn’t know there would be homework [emoji16]. I suggested that they put all the evaluation forms online or on the app. I hate filling out paper forms.

We did do evaluations on all of the excursions because I know they were making adjustments as we went along. One excursion was changed from Land and Sea to just sea because people had complained about the bus portion because of bad roads.

There were Scrabble games on the middle floor of the atrium, I wanted to play, but my husband is spelling challenged and he doesn’t like to play. They had quite a few games both analog and digital up there [emoji16]

My husband suggested that they add the person’s home country on the name tags of the staff. We have seen that on other lines and find it interesting and a conversation starter.

I have to think about what the other things I wrote. I can’t remember them at the moment, but the whole experience was pretty fantastic so we didn’t have many nits to pick.

I do love how they respond to feedback.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I wrote that I didn’t know there would be homework [emoji16]. I suggested that they put all the evaluation forms online or on the app. I hate filling out paper forms.

Yes, but how do they make sure that only people actually on the cruise have access to those forms? And as long as they have paper forms as well because there are some of us who prefer the paper forms.

I would agree that adding umbrellas/shading poolside as well as table side would be really nice in warm weather.

I would not want to see chairs and sun beds on the promenade deck. It is the best place to get outdoor exercising/walking and these would make that unsafe and difficult.

I really do like that Viking asks for and pays attention to their customers feedback both while on their journey as well as from social media.

I would prefer that they email me a post-cruise survey, or at least offer that in addition to paper forms. I was not a fan of the paper forms and was surprised that I could not do feedback at my leisure when I returned home.

I think they could do better at detailing the amount and type of walking on excursions. We were on a couple excursions labeled Moderate that had 2-3 hours walking on steep, uneven surfaces with lots of steps. Some folks struggled and were not expecting that much walking. So clarity in the descriptions, either distance or time spent walking, would help in decision-making.

My only wish list item would be LeCroix type flavored fizzy water as an alternative to sodas.

That, and having steel-cut oatmeal at breakfast in addition to the porridge type. Most people I know prefer steel-cut. But I realize that food is highly individual, and overall they had lots of healthy options.

I would agree that adding umbrellas/shading poolside as well as table side would be really nice in warm weather.

I would not want to see chairs and sun beds on the promenade deck. It is the best place to get outdoor exercising/walking and these would make that unsafe and difficult.

I really do like that Viking asks for and pays attention to their customers feedback both while on their journey as well as from social media.

There are three tables with chairs on the promenade deck at the aft. I sat there for while each sea day after I walked. Only saw one other person sitting there at the same time.. It was so peaceful and relaxing while in the middle of the Atlantic. I agree , the rest of the deck leave as is.

Boy, there were some power walkers out there every day. :)

I was not one of them.

The pool roof was open 12 days out of fifteen on our TA. It does get hot in the direct sun at most of the tables if you are eating there from the pool grill. But sunglasses and lotion, hat does the trick.

I love the aft seating beyond the Aquavit Bar for breakfast or lunch. It was the wind not the sun that made us retreat into the wolrd cafe a couple of times when eating. When we were in port they opened the large glass walls on one part of the World cafe for alfresco dining. It was shady and the tables were full.

Better temperature control in the showers. Ours goes from blazing hot to ice cold, back and forth, with complete unpredictability. Sure wakes you up in the morning but not in a good way. Not sure if this is typical?

Yes, but how do they make sure that only people actually on the cruise have access to those forms? And as long as they have paper forms as well because there are some of us who prefer the paper forms.

They could ask for your reservation number.

I'll borrow a suggestion I saw in another thread (think it was philw1776) that Viking post in advance which ports will have free shuttles, and up that a notch to hope that they could list the drop off/pickup locations as well. While I am at it, if they could list the drop off/pick up spots for excursions like Paris on Your Own, that would be a great assist in pre-cruise planning!

I agree to leave promenade as is. No chairs please. It’s not a very wide space and you have to walk off all the food you had...lol Jokes aside, there are people who don’t stop running or power walking while on vacation and chairs could be safety problem. You have a chance to seat on your veranda or upstairs on the 9th floor - there are very cozy places there with nice chairs and sofas.

I also agree about knowing in advance if Viking has a shuttle in the port and where is drop off/pick up place. It helps to plan your time in port in case you weren’t able to book an excursion.

Maybe I’ll update this post after my cruise...or maybe not :)

Edited by vnb2003
misspelling

Both of these, especially the pool and spa hours. Several times on our last cruise we wanted to hop down for a soak and a steam after dinner and it all closed up at 8. It was maddening! I put it on my form at the time, hopefully enough people will too.

Better temperature control in the showers. Ours goes from blazing hot to ice cold, back and forth, with complete unpredictability. Sure wakes you up in the morning but not in a good way. Not sure if this is typical?

Not typical. On Sky and Star very nice temp control - which by the way is separate from what I'll call the "volume control". It's the one with the button you have to push. Once the temp is set, you can vary how much water you get with a separate control. Next time if you've done everything right and the water temp is still unpredictable - going hot and cold on its own schedule - tell your cabin steward. Also listen for whether somebody nearby flushed their toilet. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I concede the seating on the promenade deck--you're all right in that it should be left clear for walking. I hadn't thought about how people move chairs around to follow the sun, which could get in the way of other people. Scratch that idea!

Agree with you 10 times over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most of the stuff mentioned so far seems like window dressing; some people are in favor of it and other don't want it changed. However, I will bet that this is one point that we will all agree on.

Not typical. On Sky and Star very nice temp control - which by the way is separate from what I'll call the "volume control". It's the one with the button you have to push. Once the temp is set, you can vary how much water you get with a separate control. Next time if you've done everything right and the water temp is still unpredictable - going hot and cold on its own schedule - tell your cabin steward. Also listen for whether somebody nearby flushed their toilet. [emoji6]

Char, I'm gonna disagree once again. Three cruises now, two on Sea and one on Star. It did not take us long to figure out all of the knobs and buttons on the shower but it did not make a difference; the shower always went from too hot to too cold and back again during the course of the shower.

I'll borrow a suggestion I saw in another thread (think it was philw1776) that Viking post in advance which ports will have free shuttles, and up that a notch to hope that they could list the drop off/pickup locations as well. While I am at it, if they could list the drop off/pick up spots for excursions like Paris on Your Own, that would be a great assist in pre-cruise planning!

Yes! This would have been hugely helpful.

On one excursion we were told that our guide would advise how to catch the shuttle back to the ship. At the end of the excursion we were told their was no shuttle and to walk back to the ship.

The lack of information prior to the excursion was a frustration as far as planning.

One hundred percent agree with this! It would be extremely helpful in pre-planning! Posting in advance I would suggest to mean before or at the time excursions are available to look at or book.

If they build it into the app. It can only be accessed by those on the ship. Not saying do away with the paper form. Just add an option.

OMG yes! I forgot about that. I thought we were doing it wrong and we never remembered to ask our steward.

Personally, we'd like to see the excursion details available to view and browse a bit earlier. This seems to be the norm with other cruise lines. Seeing (yes, we know, not able to book excursions until x days prior to embarkation) the details of the various excursions would enable us to tailor our research better, and not waste time.

Like others I provided a lengthy response on the written form (given my awful handwriting count me in for adding it to the app!) but can’t remember the specific items. Generally however the suggestions were for better communication among the ship’s departments.

For example, there was no printed or captain’s mention of the time we would be passing the Rock of Gilbratar, but after asking several staff with stripes on their sleeves and getting different answers, I determined it was likely going to be sometime between 11:30 and 1 am.

So I headed up to the Explorer’s lounge and found that many others - at least 200 folks had the same idea. The deck in front was like riding a subway at rush hour and inside was standing room only. The wildlife speaker was there and was using his mircophonw to help people locate the Rock on the cloudy sorta dark night. Luckily, the clouds lifted and we got a relatively good look

Unfortunately no one had told the bar staff so those three pour folks were trying to keep the masses. They ran out of a number of liquors and unlike a regular night when one fin the servers would runnget more, they couldn’t that night. Additionally, all but one of them were scheduled to be off at midnight but stayed in because of their great work ethic and customer service.

Anyway, a simple communication from the bridge to the bar manager that there might be a crowd that night would have made it so much better.

Even more so would have been to make it now an event! Have late night dessert at the Aquavit for and the wildlife expert at Explorers. They created a hokey plunge in the hot tub filled with ice water event for the day when we were about halfway across then Atlantic...similar efforts related to communication could have made the Rock evening just as memorable.

Personally, we'd like to see the excursion details available to view and browse a bit earlier. This seems to be the norm with other cruise lines. Seeing (yes, we know, not able to book excursions until x days prior to embarkation) the details of the various excursions would enable us to tailor our research better, and not waste time.

Don't understand why you're saying this. Because the details on the included and optional excursions are provided on the main site. One does not have to wait for your MyVikingJourney to go active. Granted, it's a nominal set of excursion information & may not be exactly the same as your particular cruise but it's there albeit not obviously so. To view the excursions offered for each port of call, open the details of a cruise, view the day by day itinerary and then click on the link for a particular day. Here's one I chose at random - https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/baltic/viking-homelands/index.html.

I totally agree that they should provide more detailed information on excursions in advance. The brief descriptions provided in My Viking Journey give a decent overview, but they are nothing like the descriptions given at the port talks. We have changed our plans several times after hearing the port talk, particularly after getting more information on how long the bus rides will be, etc. Unfortunately, by the time of the port talk it is often too late to cancel a paid excursion, but if you want to change from an included tour to a paid one, and there is still room, you can still join. I know that they sometimes have to make adjustments in the excursion schedule, which is understandable, but they know if a particular 4-hour excursion is going to include 3 hours on a bus and it would be helpful to have that information before making your reservations.