Elevator Crowding, the times they are a changing...

MizDemeanor

I want to share our impressions since it seems that peole have found a different way to approach elevator crowding.

On last week's Getaway, for nearly all of our rides, people chose not be be crowded. In the past people would be body touching frequently, particularly after getting on board following excursions. Not last week.

People stood firm in place on the elevators and did not yield, they had no qualms about saying no to people on floors who asked 'room for just one more', and I have to say, it was a much, much better elevator experience.

People were respectful of those who were in the rear and had to get off and moved or stepped out of the way and I have to say it was a change from many experiences that we have encountered. There was comfortable capacity, and not a perceived overcrowding.

It was pretty cool. I hope that this trend continues.

I want to share our impressions since it seems that peole have found a different way to approach elevator crowding.

On last week's Getaway, for nearly all of our rides, people chose not be be crowded. In the past people would be body touching frequently, particularly after getting on board following excursions. Not last week.

People stood firm in place on the elevators and did not yield, they had no qualms about saying no to people on floors who asked 'room for just one more', and I have to say, it was a much, much better elevator experience.

People were respectful of those who were in the rear and had to get off and moved or stepped out of the way and I have to say it was a change from many experiences that we have encountered. There was comfortable capacity, and not a perceived overcrowding.

It was pretty cool. I hope that this trend continues.

Ahhh, sounds quite civilized. Nothing like my elevator experiences on cruises out of NYC...

After coming back from Japan and experiencing their rush hour on the trains, Americans expect wayyy too much "personal" space.

Been there. Done that.

Could you imagine if that happened here?

If there is room in the elevator then they should people let in. Particularly those times when there is a rush such as port day afternoons and disembarkation day.

But, on the other hand, if the elevator is clearly already full then people shouldnt try to cram in.

After coming back from Japan and experiencing their rush hour on the trains, Americans expect wayyy too much "personal" space.

I was just thinking the same thing! ;p My first experience of train "shoving" was just plain weird! One evening I was on a subway somewhere around Yokohama and at each stop the car was getting fuller and fuller. I was standing in front of a door but a little ways from the back wall of the car. At some stop it was getting really tight when all of a sudden I slid back a foot or more and I had not made a move! :o I thought it was funny and weird all at the same time. Those crazy Japanese! Ha Ha

none of us like those crowded elevators but we do usually make room for one more if possible. As for body touching, I have never even thought about that aspect. Have to be honest: it does not bother me at all. On the other hand I am the type, if on the other side, waiting for the elevator, it stops, really crowded, I will say, that's ok, we will wait until the next one.

I'm a big fan of personal space (so we usually take the stairs!), but I think that refusing to allow people on and insisting on keeping others at arms length in the elevators is rude. If there's space, everyone has the right to fill it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

The one thing I see nice about this is that people were allowed off the elevator.

I can understand crowding, but I don't understand the rudeness of not making way for people to get out, just like those people made room for the newcomers to get on.

If there is room there is no reason someone should not be let on the elevator.

However, when people push and shove because they believe there is room, and there is not, is the rude part. The more the merrier does not come into play at these times.

Common courtesy should be used. The push and shove and more in other cultures doesn't mean I have to like it (I live in the USA) and it is generally not done here but that may depend on where you live too.

Nothing wrong with saying no when overly crowded already, and sticking to your view.

JMHO.

Best cruising all!

And this is a great thing about living in US!

I always hated overcrowding in public transportation. :)

Time for the red circles. BTW I did not know that all people took up the same amount of space anywhere let alone in an elevator. If there is room there is room it has nothing to do with how many are already in the elevator. If someone wants their own person don't touch me zone then bring along a large human size habitrail or a huge roll or saranwrap. Better yet take the stairs and you avoid the situation altogether!

Telling people to take the stairs is absurd. Its like telling people to take a bicycle because the freeway is backed up by cars. :rolleyes:

And unless you haven't noticed, and no offense to anyone, many people who I have noticed are large and take addtional space on elevators creating an issue similar to what occurs on airplanes when personal space is impacted by larger bodies.

OP, Im just curious. Were you ever the person waiting who was told "no room" when people could have made room for you? Was it still a great idea? I'm not trying to be snarky, just wondering if your point of view comes from experiencing both aspects of this issue.

For myself, when resources are few and in high demand, I am ok putting myself out a bit to give other people access to the resources.

I'm sorry but I had to laugh when I read "body touching". As if were such a horrible and unacceptable thing for another human being to actually come in contact with you in a crowded situation. Maybe NCL ought to paint big red circles on the floor of the elevators and require everyone to be fully within their own circle before the elevator will proceed!

This need for personal space is really an American thing.

You can be standing in a hour-long line at Euro Disney and have the person in back of you literally breathing on you neck the whole time.

NCL has several issues on their megaships.

1) the elevator cars need to be bigger. In the dark ages, it was hard to get a large car to operate on a moving ship.

2) traffic modeling has shown them how many cars they “need” for each area of the ship. There for they installed only what they need.

E.g., On the Escape, The forward elevator lobby is a mess with 4 cars going to deck 17. 3 cars going to deck 18. 1 car going to deck 19. Every pushes the call buttons for all elevators so there is a lot of unnecessary stops causing elevator delays.

All elevators should go to all decks. Stop the inefficiencies caused by “going cheap” with the elevators.

Telling people to take the stairs is absurd. Its like telling people to take a bicycle because the freeway is backed up by cars. [emoji57]

Totally disagree. Well actually, I don’t disagree that telling people to take the stairs may be absurd, but as the poster you quoted wasn’t doing that it is irrelevant.

The point that was being made is that if someone is uncomfortable in a crowded lift then they may prefer to take the stairs. Sounds very reasonable to me, and nobody was telling anyone what to do.

Similarly, where traffic is busy I will consider other transport options. Certainly cycling is an option at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

visit NYC and try taking a subway or maybe a bus. Our subway station can be very crowded and you sometimes have to squeeze to get on/off the train.

E.g., On the Escape, The forward elevator lobby is a mess with 4 cars going to deck 17. 3 cars going to deck 18. 1 car going to deck 19. Every pushes the call buttons for all elevators so there is a lot of unnecessary stops causing elevator delays.

All elevators should go to all decks. Stop the inefficiencies caused by “going cheap” with the elevators.

this is normal for almost all ships. part of the problem is the size of the elevator shaft and any other mechanically space needed for it. on a ship, there is limited amount of room/space to work in.

My only gripe with NCL and other cruise lines is they lack a mid ship elevator. having 2 elevator banks (forward and aft) is not enough for a 4k passenger ship is sometimes not enough.