June 13th Horizon....

Gelfling

I booked passage on the Horizon for the week of June 13th. My wife and I are treating 7 teenagers to a week at sea. They are really nice kids, and we are looking forward to it. My reason for this post, is I am paying for the whole group, and as such, saving pennies is important to me. For instance, we booked all our excursions with reputable 3rd party vendors to save 20-30% off the carnival excursion rates. I recently started looking at parking and had no idea that parking was going to run in excess of $1000! We are coming from Delaware and to get 10 people there, I assume I will need 3 cars. At $40 per car per day, its a lot! I read about cheaper places to park via ParkRight, but those are ~$20-25 per day per car. Since we have so many people coming, anyone have any ideas on how to save some $$$. I thought about taking the ferry and that would be a bit cheaper, but I can't figure out exactly how much it is to park on the other side of the river (at Weehawken I think). Any help would be appreciated!

I booked passage on the Horizon for the week of June 13th. My wife and I are treating 7 teenagers to a week at sea. They are really nice kids, and we are looking forward to it. My reason for this post, is I am paying for the whole group, and as such, saving pennies is important to me. For instance, we booked all our excursions with reputable 3rd party vendors to save 20-30% off the carnival excursion rates. I recently started looking at parking and had no idea that parking was going to run in excess of $1000! We are coming from Delaware and to get 10 people there, I assume I will need 3 cars. At $40 per car per day, its a lot! I read about cheaper places to park via ParkRight, but those are ~$20-25 per day per car. Since we have so many people coming, anyone have any ideas on how to save some $$$. I thought about taking the ferry and that would be a bit cheaper, but I can't figure out exactly how much it is to park on the other side of the river (at Weehawken I think). Any help would be appreciated!

Have you checked out 2-3 one way car rentals? With the right cars you could fit everyone in 2 cars.

Have you checked out 2-3 one way car rentals? With the right cars you could fit everyone in 2 cars.

I did consider this but we don't have any local car rental places near my home, so it would still be rather inconvenient. Still, I will price it out just to see. Thanks.

Parking at Port Imperial won't be cheap. It's $20/day plus a $18/person round trip ferry fare. You sail on a Wed, so other unreserved parking at train stations is likely be taken by commuters before you can get there.

Even if you don't live close to a car rental (where exactly do you live?), perhaps some of the kids parents could drive you to pick up and return rental cars.

I'm starting to think it might be the cheapest option. Which of the car rental places have returns near the Port. Do any of them offer shuttles? I'm used to going out of Miami.

The New Yorkers need to comment on the Manhattan drop off locations. I know there are a number of locations on the west side within several blocks of the pier. There's a $15 tunnel toll plus all your Turnpike tolls to consider as well. Where exactly in Delaware are you coming from?

We live just south of Dover, in Milford.

OK - so that's about 3 hours from NYC on a weekday morning. Add another hour for pit stops and traffic. Add some more time for pier drop off and car return. Just leave yourselves plenty of time.

• 4 weeks later...

You can drive up to Hamilton, NJ and park there for the trip. It costs $7/day. Then you can take NJ Transit to Penn Station which is $16.25 pp each way. Then you'd have to Uber or take a taxi to the port. My husband and I have done that a few times. It's a little more complicated with that many people, but it's definitely doable.

Cindy

• 1 month later...
You can drive up to Hamilton, NJ and park there for the trip. It costs $7/day. Then you can take NJ Transit to Penn Station which is $16.25 pp each way. Then you'd have to Uber or take a taxi to the port. My husband and I have done that a few times. It's a little more complicated with that many people, but it's definitely doable.

Cindy

Is the transit a bus? Sorry if that’s a dumb question lol but this option seems so cheap!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums