Got my car rental for Haines!

Straitlover

Kept putting off calling, and I figured they'd all be booked up, but they had availability for 6/13/18! Booked through Lynn View Lodge. They keep the cars at their store right across from the dock. They have a cruiser's special.

Any recommendations on what to stop for on the Haines Highway??? Not sure if we can do Kroschel or not; need to see how bad one of my companions' allergies are. :)

We went to Kroschel then ate at 33 Mile Roadhouse and enjoyed it. There are several pull-offs with great photo-ops along the Hwy. We didn’t have enough time to go to the Canadian border or further.

We also drove to Chilkoot Lake before Kroschel and Chilkat State Park afterwards and enjoyed both. If you are there mid-summer or later, you have a good chance of seeing bears in the river on the way to the lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Check with your library to see if they have The Alaska Milepost. Towards the end of the book there are 3 or 4 pages on the Haines Hwy. Make copies of the pages you need. You'll find the milepost number for scenic viewpoints, points of interest, etc.

The on-line version is very short on details.

http://www.themilepost.com/highways/haines-highway/

Check with your library to see if they have The Alaska Milepost. Towards the end of the book there are 3 or 4 pages on the Haines Hwy. Make copies of the pages you need. You'll find the milepost number for scenic viewpoints, points of interest, etc.

The on-line version is very short on details.

http://www.themilepost.com/highways/haines-highway/

I already have a copy I bought on Amazon (used one, 2015 I think). Now that most everything is booked (still need to book rafting/ATV for Denali), I can sit down and read the book better. Thanks for the reminder!

We went to Kroschel then ate at 33 Mile Roadhouse and enjoyed it. There are several pull-offs with great photo-ops along the Hwy. We didn’t have enough time to go to the Canadian border or further.

We also drove to Chilkoot Lake before Kroschel and Chilkat State Park afterwards and enjoyed both. If you are there mid-summer or later, you have a good chance of seeing bears in the river on the way to the lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the recs. We have a long day (back on board by 8:30 PM I think), so hoping to make it across the border, maybe not all the way to Haines Junction though unless we have to skip Kroschel due to allergies. She said something about the Eagle Preserve, but I read that June's not a good time to go there as most of the eagles are elsewhere..