HAL transfers in Rome. Airport to Ship???

I found the page online, and it shows these transfers are

70.00 euro for shared

119.00 euro for private.

The expensive, but highly recommended tour company is quoting 180.00 for a transfer that is not a part of a pre-cruise or post-cruise tour.

Anyhow, my question is...

If we booked the cheaper shared transfer... Does anyone know how this would work?

We would be arriving mid-morning. Would a shared transfer bus/coach be available fairly quickly?

Thanks if anyone has any info!

Thanks!

As I am sitting here, many many months in advance, scheduling out this trip, I am thinking that it might work out well to use the tour company for a tour+transfer before the cruise, and then HAL transfers for after the cruise when we might be heading back to the airport. Would be really easy and convenient to let them help handle it... Just board the coach right off the ship and off we go.

If the shared transport is a bus I think it is expensive because you have to wait for people to arrive.

The flat rate for a taxi which accommodates 4 is E120. When we were at FCO last year I really liked the flat rate for a taxi.

Sorry I cannot answer your exact question. If the E70 is per person I would think it much better to take a taxi. Possibly there are others on your roll call that would like to share transportation.

Hi Wishing a Star,

We have sdeparted many times from Rome and soon we will do so again soon. Normal taxi's rate for airport transfers is over EUR 120 at least, if note more (metered).

Pre-arranged transfers work with a pre-set rate, where if you select to share, it means that the company arranging the transfer, will select which time will work best for all travellers. For example, we arrive at 09.30 AM and were informed that our shared transfer departs at 12noon. Thsi is done normally on smaller passenger vans, so 4-6 persons will be sharing.

This is for our taste too late, so we re-booked a private transfer with them. We rather wait near the ship, although Citivecchia does not have a real passenger terminal and ships are located over a larger port area and pavillions / tents are there to give some cover.

HAL will also offer transfers via big busses and they also wait & collect .Most flights will arrive from North America very early so I imagine that they start leaving earlier than 12noon.

There are plenty of companies out there and we prefer to spend EUR 120 on a private transfer.

To return we take always the option for a shared ride, as than everyone will leave at the same time anyway and we never had to wait longer than 15 mts (to fill up the passenger van).

We are going the opposite, port to airport and using a private transport at 130 euros, he will be waiting outside the ship and take us to our terminal and airline. peace of mind as we have a 1200 flight. the company is name of the city and cabs. they have a website and have gotten good reviews. they do pickup at airport outside baggage claim and drive right to ship boarding area, they are allowed inside port area.

We've used both Bob's Limo and Rome in Limo....both very reliable and highly rated. Bobs Limo is 129.00 Euro for a private car for two people Rome to Civi and Rome in Limo is 170.00 Euro for the same service and Rome Cabs is 130.00 Euro for the same. We have Bob booked for our next Med cruise, airport to hotel, 3 days later hotel to Civi.

I can highly recommend Rome Cabs. We used them from the Airport to Civitavecchia and then after the cruise from Civitavecchia to an apartment in Rome. They were immacculate, the drivers wonderful and were on time waiting for us.

A taxi from the airport to the central district of Rome is flat rate 50 euros. This would cover most of the you are interested in.
I believe the OP is looking for transfers from airport to the ship in Civitivecchia.

We use Hal's transfers and don't mind the wait, it is another way to meet and chat with your fellow passengers, make some new friends. The thing we like about the transfers is they will get you to and from ships or airports to where you want to go. The handing of luggage and finding the hotels without us getting lost, is a comfort to us. We have done private transfers and they are very enjoyable, but usually very costly.

OP, from your posting on the Rome boards I had the impression you were planning to stay in Rome pre-cruise, which would make it not worthwhile to consider the cruise line transfer pre-cruise.

As mentioned, there is a flat rate for a taxi from FCO airport into any part of the central historic district (Centro Storico) in Rome. It is 48 euros (for the taxi, not per person).

To get from Rome to the cruise port in Civitavecchia -- assuming you are not interested in doing the train (which costs less than 10 euro per person but has some hassle factor), you can arrange a shared shuttle from Rome direct to the ship for as little as 70 euro per couple.

Some of the car transfer services charge (IMO) outrageous prices for inexperienced tourists -- there's really no need for a private transfer to charge up to 170 euro!!

From the port to the airport, the cruiseline transfers aren't a bad price for one or two persons, but for more than that I'd arrange something on my own.

From the port to the airport, the cruiseline transfers aren't a bad price for one or two persons, but for more than that I'd arrange something on my own.

You brought up something I am interested in knowing about---HAL transfer from the port to the Rome airport.

It's not so much the price I am thinking about, as I am sure it will cost me less than a private car---probably by a lot, since the price for a car is around 130 Euro. I need to keep walking to an absolute minimum.

I AM wondering if the HAL transfer will get me to the front of the terminal I am flying out of.

I have had several experiences where the HAL transfer dropped me off between terminals, and then I would have to walk where I needed to go. I can't do that. Last year, in Amsterdam, the HAL transfer dropped us all off at the same terminal, and it wasn't the one I needed. I had a terrible time getting where I needed to go.

I would rather pay the higher price for a private car if it drops me at the correct entrance.

Do you, or does anyone, know if the HAL transfer will take me to the entrance to the terminal I need?

You brought up something I am interested in knowing about---HAL transfer from the port to the Rome airport.

It's not so much the price I am thinking about, as I am sure it will cost me less than a private car---probably by a lot, since the price for a car is around 130 Euro. I need to keep walking to an absolute minimum.

I AM wondering if the HAL transfer will get me to the front of the terminal I am flying out of.

I have had several experiences where the HAL transfer dropped me off between terminals, and then I would have to walk where I needed to go. I can't do that. Last year, in Amsterdam, the HAL transfer dropped us all off at the same terminal, and it wasn't the one I needed. I had a terrible time getting where I needed to go.

I would rather pay the higher price for a private car if it drops me at the correct entrance.

Do you, or does anyone, know if the HAL transfer will take me to the entrance to the terminal I need?

In our experience with HAL's transfers, we have always been dropped off as a group at one spot and then we had to walk to our airline ticketing counter, which could be quite a hike. Like you, last May we had the transfer to Amsterdam and we were let out at an entrance that felt like miles away from our proper ticket counter and then miles to our gate. A private car would be able to drop you off a more convenient part of the terminal. For you, the HAL transfer may not be the best idea, unless you can convince to driver to get you to the right entrance.

Ruth from what I remember from last year at Rome airport, the ship’s transfer dropped people at 2 terminals.

The first stop was for those flying within Europe .

The second stop was for flights to US and elsewhere.

I believe it’s terminal 5, however once you drop bags it’s a major hike to the departure point which I think is terminal 3.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Last time we disembarked in Rome we shared a car with another couple, so I can't help you there. What I CAN say, though, is that our experience in Seattle last year was quite inconvenient. Apparently the busses ran continuous shuttles back and forth, so a speedy return to port was important. We were dropped off at a Delta check-in tent. Had to schlep our luggage (outdoors) more than a block to get to the American Airlines counters. Lesson learned!

Until last year, all passengers on flights going directly to the US were processed in Terminal 5. HAL transfers, in my experience dropped passengers at two places (as mentioned above): Terminal 3 for flights other than US and Terminal 5 for processing for US flights. At Terminal 5 you would first check in for your flight, then stand in another line to check your luggage, then undergo security screening, then passport control. :eek:

After going through all of this, passengers were loaded onto shuttle buses that would take you to your correct terminal for your flight but you would still have a distance to get to your gate.

HOWEVER....

As of last year, Rome FCO airport no longer requires all passengers from US flights to check in at Terminal 5. Now it depends on which carrier you use. So I am not sure if there is any way of knowing whether HAL transfers will stop at more than one terminal or will just make a central drop at Terminal 3. (And unfortunately I'm unsure whether calling HAL will yield the correct info.)

My takeaways:

1) Don't trust anyone's experience prior to 2017 season; it is now different at FCO.

2) Given all the extra hoops at the airport, perhaps the certainty of a private car is worth it to at least avoid extra steps at the outset.

Do check around as there are a range of prices for private transfers. Personally I do not require a personable English-fluent, story-telling, info-providing tour guide/driver for an airport transfer, just one who will be on time and get me there safely. ;)

Thank you to everyone who has tried to help me sort out what will work best for me. I especially appreciate this advice:

1) Don't trust anyone's experience prior to 2017 season; it is now different at FCO.

2) Given all the extra hoops at the airport, perhaps the certainty of a private car is worth it to at least avoid extra steps at the outset.

I will plan to book a private car.

Does anyone know how near to the entrance I will be able to get wheelchair assistance?

I will be taking a Delta flight on Alitalia metal.

Thank you to everyone who has tried to help me sort out what will work best for me. I especially appreciate this advice:

I will plan to book a private car.

Does anyone know how near to the entrance I will be able to get wheelchair assistance?

I will be taking a Delta flight on Alitalia metal.

Ruth, I have found Stephano at Rome Cabs to be very helpful. His drivers are wonderful. I would send him an email and ask his advice

This webpage from FCO Airport may be helpful.

http://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-roma-en-/pax-fco-reduced-mobility

Edited by Stratheden

Ruth, I have found Stephano at Rome Cabs to be very helpful. His drivers are wonderful. I would send him an email and ask his advice

Our timing must be in sync---I was booking Rome Cabs just about the same time you were posting this.

This webpage from FCO Airport may be helpful.

http://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-roma-en-/pax-fco-reduced-mobility

I tried to connect to that link last night from the Rome Cabs site, and again this morning. Neither time worked. I get an "Oops" error.

But thanks for trying.

Since Rome Cabs requires a notification of which terminal to drop off at, I used the information Cruisemom42 provided earlier. I am so grateful she posted I go to terminal 3.

I'll worry about wheelchair assistance when the time comes. Everything has always worked out before; it will again.

Since Rome Cabs requires a notification of which terminal to drop off at, I used the information Cruisemom42 provided earlier. I am so grateful she posted I go to terminal 3.

I'll worry about wheelchair assistance when the time comes. Everything has always worked out before; it will again.

Ruth, I have done a little further research as I'm not 100% sure of the circumstances given you mention flying on a Delta ticket but on Alitalia metal.

Delta check-in is at Terminal 3, but Alitalia check-in for all flights has moved to Terminal 1 recently.

If your ticket says Delta, I'd still go to Terminal 3 and I'm 98% sure you would check in there. It may be worth a call to Delta -- unlike HAL their information is usually pretty accurate (!).

Terminal 3 has a large lobby but there are airport staff walking around near the entrance -- and if memory serves there is an info deck close by the entrance as well. You should be able to get a wheelchair promptly and they can help you get to the right place.

I am convinced that the Hal transfer in Rome is the safest. Thank you. We have booked a pre cruise stay in Rome and it includes the transfers to the hotel and to the ship.
Is your hotel one supplied by HAL with the transfers or did you book your own hotel and just use HAL transfers? I ask because HAL seems to choose pre-cruise hotels far away from the main areas in Rome and you would need to take a cab to get there. We like our hotel to be within walking distance of the Piazza Navona, the Pantheon and the Trevi Fountain.

Me again, the original poster.

Thanks so much everyone.

Seems like I opened up a whole conversation!

It is not so good to hear that HAL could drop passengers off quite some distance from their flight terminal.

Especially with the numbers of older passengers that they book.

We will be flying Delta.

And this would be well in the future.

Yes, after more consideration, We are planning, for now, to schedule pre-cruise tours and sightseeing in Rome, as I think the scheduling works out well.

So, between changes at FCO, Delta, and HAL transfers, It don't think we could know until closer to cruising how those return transfers would work out for us!

I will just stay in watch-and-wait mode.

We are 'able' to do some walking, Especially my husband. But, I do have some limited stamina. And one foot that could be a concern if it is aggravated by all of the walking one does in Europe!

Looks like I will have to watch and wait !

Ruth, I have done a little further research as I'm not 100% sure of the circumstances given you mention flying on a Delta ticket but on Alitalia metal.

Delta check-in is at Terminal 3, but Alitalia check-in for all flights has moved to Terminal 1 recently.

If your ticket says Delta, I'd still go to Terminal 3 and I'm 98% sure you would check in there. It may be worth a call to Delta -- unlike HAL their information is usually pretty accurate (!).

Terminal 3 has a large lobby but there are airport staff walking around near the entrance -- and if memory serves there is an info deck close by the entrance as well. You should be able to get a wheelchair promptly and they can help you get to the right place.

Your information has been incredibly helpful.

Rome Cabs wants me to arrange the wheelchair at the airport, and give them the information along with a local phone number for the assistance, before they process the transfer. They gave me the same non-working link as given in an earlier post.

I would prefer that they process the transfer and I will worry about wheelchair assistance another day.

I will now put all this in the capable hands of my TA, since this is a HAL Flight Ease ticket, and it is more than I care to deal with.

Thanks to you, I at least know what questions to raise. It's been a huge help.