Snowpants ???Going to Alaska next week..wondering if I should pack my pair?

jled

I have snowpants... and I am sailing on the Ruby Princess next week..April 28.. it is the first cruise of the season....I am wondering if its worth it to pack them..even for sitting on the deck while sailing through Glacier Bay. I loved having them in Iceland..but I think it may have been colder...I am a runner, so I have a lot of Under Armour Cold Gear layers that I use to run in the winter...I am doing a helicopter tour with a glacier walk in Junea and Float plane in Ketchikan.. and a Chilhook trail hike in Skagway so I will be outside a lot...

I have snowpants... and I am sailing on the Ruby Princess next week..April 28.. it is the first cruise of the season....I am wondering if its worth it to pack them..even for sitting on the deck while sailing through Glacier Bay. I loved having them in Iceland..but I think it may have been colder...I am a runner, so I have a lot of Under Armour Cold Gear layers that I use to run in the winter...I am doing a helicopter tour with a glacier walk in Junea and Float plane in Ketchikan.. and a Chilhook trail hike in Skagway so I will be outside a lot...

Glacier Bay and all you ports will be in the mid forty’s. I don’t think you will need your snow pants especially if you have the cold Weather layers. Plus those will take up valuable space in your suitcase.

You should pack and plan for layers but I believe the snow pants may be overkill and take up lots of space. As you are early in the season it certainly will be chillier but you will be active on some excursions and moving in and out of spaces on others so that’s why layering is the best bet.

If you're from New York, then it's not worth the luggage space. With the Cold Gear layers and your body having lived through NY winters, you'll be more than fine.

I've got snow pants, and I've been in snow in jeans before without layers (including in Alaska). Honestly, the layers will do more. The snow pants primary advantage is more to stay dry when you sit in snow than it is to stay warm.

Snow pants aren't required in Alaska. Just bring a good set of rain gear. Snow pants will be to hot for what you are planning to do. On the Glacier the temp could easy get over 60F in the sun. Best is to dress in layers that can be remove and added as required.

Thanks for the info. Definitely don't want to waste the suitcase room Packing list is great I keep checking the weather and that was what I thought but my husband was thinking of Iceland last March and comparing it to that