I Need A Good Book To Read On My Trip

mahreeya

One of my favorite things to do is read a good book on vacation, especially by the pool on a cruise. The worst thing in the world is bringing a couple of books to read, and they are all no good, boring, horrible to read.

Soooooo. Does anybody have any recommendations? (I have already read War and Peace!)

Peace and love to all.

I have just finished reading several of Dan Brown's book - Angels and Demons, The Da Vinci Code, and Deception Point. All were interesting and hard to put down. I would highly recommend them.

I read "Under the Tuscan Sun" during my last cruise then came home to read "Bella Tuscany". They were quite pleasant reads. Looking to read "The Devil Wears Prada" for my Mariner cruise next month.

Thank you guys: I read the DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons. Didnt you think the 2 were pretty similar? Despite that I liked them and will get the third one.

And, on our last cruise they were playing the movie "under the tuscan sun." Loved it. I will get the second Tuscan book too.

Thank you.

I also see that Sue Grafton has a new book "P is for ....." something or other related to crime. I will try to get that, since I have read her books "A is for ... to "P is for...."

Good, pure mind-candy type hard-to-put-down reading perfect for a cruise - but not the classic "romance" with the requisite rape every 20 pages ;) - is anything by Maeve Binchey. Likeable characters, intricate relationships, wonderful escapism!

Kit

A book I've recomended to many is Outlander by Diana Gabladon. It's in the romance section but not the typical trashy romance novel. More of a historical love story. There are 5 in the seris but the first is by far the best!

Have a great cruise!

Marion:)

Good, pure mind-candy type hard-to-put-down reading perfect for a cruise - but not the classic "romance" with the requisite rape every 20 pages ;) - is anything by Maeve Binchey. Likeable characters, intricate relationships, wonderful escapism!

Kit

Thanks for reminding me of her! I haven't read any of her books in years but do remember enjoying them. And I absolutly hate romance novels.

Hi Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series is ablolutely hysterical, and definetly "can't put down". They are a nice change from all the "mushy" romances.The only problem is the looks yo get for laughing out loud :D

enjoy your cruise!!

All the series by the following authors are humorous, romantic mysteries. Love all of them! Lisa Scotilini, Diana Mott Davidson, Suzanne Brockman, Nora Roberts (aka JB Robb) (The QUEEN!)., Dean Koontz for horror, Stuart Woods for Mystery.

mahreeya - one of the best books I've read in a long time was "Bet Me". I read all kinds from John Grishm to Sandra Brown to Jeffrey Deaver. My girlfriends gave me this book for my birthday and I LOVED it~~~:D Finally talked my husband into reading it and he finished it in 2 nights, couldn't put it down. This book was on the New York Times top 10 list forever and may still be. Sorry I loaned the book out and can't remember the authors name but I think her last name was Crusie (maybe)....You won't be dissapointed (except by maybe some stares from people looking at you as you laugh out loud :) )

Happy reading 28_1_16.gif

Hi I have also read Jennifer Crusie she is great. I don't think I read Bet Me, but, Welcome to Temptation and Faking It were sooo funny:D I couldn't put them down. Both were quick reads and were about the same family Happy Reading

All these books sound so great! I am going to the library tomorrow with my list. I think I would like ALL the books recommended, if not on the cruise, in the future.

Can't wait! and can't thank you all enough!

Finally saw the movie Under the Tuscan Sun and it was awesome! I loved it! For me, I go to the library onboard, and peruse through the cases for something to read during the week, or I pick up one of Oprah's book club books - easy reading.

Hi Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series is ablolutely hysterical, and definetly "can't put down". They are a nice change from all the "mushy" romances.The only problem is the looks yo get for laughing out loud :D

enjoy your cruise!!

Patpcozy - Can you give me some of the titles of her books? Also if you haven't got it yet, you must reat "Bet Me". Other people have told me it's the best Jennifer Crusie has written, for what it's worth. 12_1_120.gif

I'm a huge travel reader. Can usually polish off 3 or 4 books in a week, especially some of the quick-read stuff.

Janet Evanovich series are great. They are very quick reads, all come in paperback and are fun to read. The titles are all in number sequences - One for the Money, Three to get deadly. You can find them on ebay easily. I think she's finished 1 - 8. You can read them in order, but it's not critical to read in sequence. (She actually came out with a short one about Christmas, forget the title, but it was in conjunction with another author, and the title was not in the "number sequence" she usually runs with.

Also enjoy the Stewart Woods books. Good mysteries, with repeat characters. Again, ebay is a great place to pick them up. Or even used book stores. Some take trade ins, so I take my olds ones and swap out for new stuff.

Stuart Woods, James Patterson, John Grisham, Nora Roberts, and Nicholas Sparks are my top authors....

My all time fav book that got me hooked on Stuart Woods was 'Palandrone' (Think I spelled it right) GREAT mystery!!!

If you want to tug at your heart strings, read James Patterson's 'Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas' or anything by Nicholas Sparks.

Also, I am currently reading some VC Andrews. The only downside is she writes in series (usually 4 or 5 books per series) so you'll want to buy & take them all JUST to be sure. It would drive me nuts to take two and finish them in a few days then not know whats going to happen till I get home. Grrrrr.....

Does anyone know how the librarys on the ship are? Do they offer a good selection & is there a fee to borrow?

Would be better to borrow theirs than pack if they have a nice selection.

Patpcozy - Can you give me some of the titles of her books? Also if you haven't got it yet, you must reat "Bet Me". Other people have told me it's the best Jennifer Crusie has written, for what it's worth. 12_1_120.gif[/Q

Hi Joelmarg was right all of her title in the stephanie plum series have numbers in the title. She has just come out with The 10th (not sure of title) she has another series Full tilt, Fullspeed, full house but I heard they aren't as good. But the stepanie series even my slow reading friends LOVE them and laugh all the way thru.

Cruisinchick The libraries on board have never charged anything that I know of and since I will read almost anything I have never had a problem. I always bring 1 book just in case but 1 is never enough. I try to remember to leave the ones I've read since I think this is where they get their library.

James Peterson is awesome! "Sams Letters to Jennifer" is one of his new ones (I'm currently reading) and is great! He does great murder mysteries...one of my favs is "Beachhouse". Also, Patricia Cornwell is awesome for mysteries. Jane Green is one of my favs ("Babyville", "Bookends") and Anita Shreve as well "Sea Glass", "The Pilot's Wife"...know what you mean about reading....I love it! So relaxing - especially on the ship! (with a tall drink, right?):)

No one mentioned Harlan Coben. Absolute 'must read'. All of his are great, however, I think 'Gone for Good' was my favorite. Very unpredictable and he also happens to be very amusing. You may want to bring more than one of his because you won't be able to put it down.

For my first three cruises I always packed a book. Every single time I came home and never read one page. The reason was I would sit in a lounge chair, or at a table by the bar and pool and ended up people watching and sometimes there would be people sitting next to myself and DH and we ended up making new friends. So I know longer bring a book, magazine etc.

Marilyn

My personal preference is to save the books that I can't put down for days at home when I'm not missing out on anything else.

So , for a stand-up-comic in a book, I always enjoy Bill Bryson. I pick him up and read for a while and then put it back down easily. He is a travellin' guy that has a knack for funny observations. Try I'm a Stranger Here Myself.

I was reading In a Sunburned Country but my granddaughter picked it up and then loaned it to her friends. I will buy myself a new copy. He makes me laugh OUT LOUD.

Shirley

If you haven't read any of his books, Michael Connelly is on of the best. Stephen King says he is his favorite mystery writer. We love him. Have read everything he has ever written. Fantastic mysteries. Traditional noir detective stories. He has written all kinds of characters but his best recurring is Harry Bosch. You may be familiar with a movie Clint Eastwood made from one of his books, Bloodwork. Read any of them but if you want to start with the first of the series read Lost Light first.

Jim & Kathleen in Redmond, WA