Alaska - First Time Cruisers with kids (4&6)

We got just word that my hubby got 10 days off of work at the end of next month (July 21-30) so we are planning our first cruise! I always thought I would have several months to research and decide the best ship, itinerary, cabin, excursions, etc., but now everything is rushed and I am in a bit of a panic. Important to us: kids entertainment, great food, nice room with balcony/view.

We are interested in visiting Alaska (but open to other destinations) and have found a couple of cruises that may work for us. The first is Disney Wonder (7 nights), but they only have interior rooms and we would really like a balcony room to fully enjoy scenery, or at least a window. Another cruise I found would be Celebrity Infinity (Alaska Hubbard Glacier Cruise, 7 nights). There are only two balcony rooms left on Celebrity and they are all the way in the back/aft on Deck 9. They also do not have 6pm dinner seating available, only anytime seating (I'm not sure if that's bad).

I was really hoping Disney would work since our children are 4 and 6, but hear that Celebrity is really nice too and has delicious food, although I worry about kids' entertainment options. We don't need to drop them off all day, but my husband and I surely would love at least a little time alone at some point. Is this all too rushed and I should just plan a cruise for another time when we have better selection? Or should I seize the opportunity and book one of these?! Or is there another cruise line that may work for our needs that is recommended I should look into?!

Appreciate your experienced input :)

Either ship will work for you. Celebrity will have plenty for the kids...they do have a lovely kids club, so you and hubby can have some "adult" time. There is nothing wrong with the "aft" of the ship! Many folks only book "aft" cabins!

Alaska is all about Alaska...and not so much the ship. There are so many views everywhere on an Alaskan cruise, that you are unlikely to be in your room very much...you will want to be out and about to see all there is to see.

As I said...Alaska isn't about the ship or cruise line...it's all about the destination!

Have you considered leaving from Seattle instead of Vancouver? Lots more choice there. Any of the cruises will be good, and all will have kids clubs. You might calculate airfare into you decision...It can be expensive. EM

There are so many other options out there. You are also booking last minute so you might catch a deal. Alaska is all about the ports, so ship is secondary.

Have you looked at NCL Bliss -- brand new ship with lots of stuff to on board.

Princess is the Alaska expert

Holland America is also well versed in AK

Here is the thing LOOK AT THE ITINERARY!! That is where you want to choose the ship, does it go to Tracey Arm, how long in port, are you going to do the train ride, etc.

Do you have passports, your header doesn't mention where you're from. These are all things that need to be considered.

The kids will enjoy Disney and you will love Alaska. Take the inside room. We had an inside room for our Alaska trip but like another poster said, there are so many places on the ship to get the experience of the view - and all the other things the ship has to offer. Go for it. Life is short. (We almost postponed my parents' 50th anniversary party for a year because of a minor situation. Sadly she get sick and passed weeks before the 51st. To this day it is one of the things I'm most grateful for - that we seized the moment and held their 50th celebration on their actual 50th and she was well enough to enjoy it. You just never know what can happen. Go for it now.)

Haven't cruised with Disney, but with little kids, I doubt you can go wrong by selecting them for a cruise.

Balcony Cabins - we normally select balconies, in fact our current cruise line has no inside cabins, but in Alaska we will normally book an inside cabin, as it makes for easier sleeping for DW. Best way to look at the ship is the cabin is simply your bedroom and the public spaces are the living spaces. Should be lots of lounges and open decks to enjoy the spectacular scenery.

Traditional v's Anytime - as long time cruisers (40 yrs), when we started, all meals were traditional seating when you dined with the same people at every meal. To this day we still prefer having dinner at the same time, with the same table mates and not having to join a queue waiting for a table. Anytime is probably now more popular and you can select any restaurant and time. Many ships will accept reservations. Once you select a cruise, head over to that cruise line's board and ask specific questions.

Tours - only a month out, some of the more popular excursions may already be fully booked. You will get a plethora of opinions of ship tours v's private tours. Ship tours are convenient, guarantee the ship wont sail if you are late back, but are more expensive and usually include large groups. Private tours generally are cheaper and have smaller groups. Alaska however has limited infrastructure, so you may find any private tours are fully booked. Once you select a cruise, suggest booking tours as a first priority.

Kid's Cruises - while Disney is probably the first cruise line that comes to mind, I believe all mainstream mega ship Lines have some form of kid's clubs, which are normally split into age groups.

In summary, if the Disney itinerary suits you needs, book it and start researching and booking tours.