Ensenada by bike shore excursion on Carnival Imagination: Need advice

CityTourer

If you are a beginner/moderate biker would you consider an Ensenada by Bike?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. If you are a beginner/moderate biker would you consider an Ensenada by Bike?

• Yes but I'll wait to get on board and buy it from the cruiseline if it's available.
    • Yes. I'll buy it in advance for $59 from the travel agency with which I booked the cruise.
    • Yes but I'll just rent bikes from a local bike rental once I get off the cruise.
    • No. I'll just try a different excursion which is shorter and uses the Tuk Tuk, bus, or taxi.

Has anyone done this in the past or plan to do one? It doesn't look like it's available directly from Carnival but it looks like it's tied to it through a travel agency: National Leisure Group. We are moderate bikers but we thought this would be a good way to tour Ensenada (city, beach,...) but I haven't seen any reviews of it online. Please give us your tips, thoughts,... Or advice on bike-related shore excursions in general: i.e. is it safe? should we bring our own helmets? Is $59 per person worth it? etc. Thanks.

Given my experience of drivers in and around Ensanada, I wouldn't get into a car, never mind get on a bike.

Dangerous.

Very.

Good day to explore what's available on board, if you are on a port-intensive cruise.

The First Time Cruisers board seems an unlikely place to put this poll, as they will have little experience in this type of thing. Why not in the Mexico board under Ports of Call, or even in the Carnival forum?

Given my experience of drivers in and around Ensanada, I wouldn't get into a car, never mind get on a bike.

Dangerous.

Very.

Good day to explore what's available on board, if you are on a port-intensive cruise.

Thank you for the advice Canuker.

The First Time Cruisers board seems an unlikely place to put this poll, as they will have little experience in this type of thing. Why not in the Mexico board under Ports of Call, or even in the Carnival forum?

Makes sense! I'm actually probably going to remove and check out the Mexico board Ports of Call forum for that and other info. I've decided not to do the biking excursion after all. Thank you.

We got back from our first 3-day Carnival cruise with stop at Ensenada. We truly enjoyed it as a last-minute mini-vacation. Some day I will write about it in the reviews. Just wanted to share my experience about the shore excursions we were looking at. There were no bikes on the streets. The Tuk Tuk with Street Gourmet offered by shoreexcursions.com was the best if you're into learning about the city and culture you're visiting. We saw our fellow cruisers on horse carriages (too slow), double-deck buses (too high), ATVs (more for backroad), none of them seemed as appealing for what we were looking for. Some just walked it seems less than a mile to the nearest street. If we were confident enough, that would have been our 2nd best choice. We were very happy with our choice. It helped that our driver/tour guide seemed to have read our minds of what we were looking for.

Edited by CityTourer