What is a galley? Better to have oceanview under it or the main dining room?

1lizette1

Big time newbie here and I feel like a fool but what is a galley?

We'll be sailing on the Carnival Victory and we've chosen room 2355. It's directly under the deck with the galley and a main dining room (directly under where these 2 meet actually).

https://www.carnival.com/~/media/Images/Ships/VI/DeckPlans/carnival-victory-Deck-Plan-pdf.ashx

We are not day sleepers so I'm not worried about noise during the day, just at night. We had a choice between deck 1 (lowest) or deck 2 (2nd lowest). They were the only oceanview left at time of booking. Would prefer oceanview than inside cabin as we'd like to have a window.

We chose deck 2 because it's one less flight of stairs to travel multiple times a day plus I've heard the lowest deck might have engine noise?

Are we better to call and ask to change to the lowest deck so we'll only have a stateroom above us?

I figure we'll have some noise in our room but less is more as I am a light sleeper.

Thanks for your time

We'll be sailing on the Carnival Victory and we've chosen room 2355. It's directly under the deck with the galley and a main dining room (directly under where these 2 meet actually).

https://www.carnival.com/~/media/Images/Ships/VI/DeckPlans/carnival-victory-Deck-Plan-pdf.ashx

We are not day sleepers so I'm not worried about noise during the day, just at night. We had a choice between deck 1 (lowest) or deck 2 (2nd lowest). They were the only oceanview left at time of booking. Would prefer oceanview than inside cabin as we'd like to have a window.

We chose deck 2 because it's one less flight of stairs to travel multiple times a day plus I've heard the lowest deck might have engine noise?

Are we better to call and ask to change to the lowest deck so we'll only have a stateroom above us?

I figure we'll have some noise in our room but less is more as I am a light sleeper.

Thanks for your time

There is no way I would take a room under the galley!! They are in there “all night” prepping food and cleaning and it can be very noisy!!

It is always better to have staterooms above and below for the least noise!!

FYI....in the future...don’t book under the galley or the swimming pool!!

The dining room is carpeted....the "galley" is obviously NOT!

The dining room will be quieter than the kitchen, if those are your only choices.

BTW, the lowest passenger deck is NOT the lowest deck. The crew decks are under deck 1...and the engines are even lower.

[/quote

Just a quick note for future reference. If you do not know what a word means, just type it in Google and the first hit will usually be the definition.

DON

You have been given some good advice. Avoid cabins located under the galley since the cooks are at work very early in the morning baking and preparing for breakfast. I am also not a big fan of being under the MDR, but this is a better option then the galley. In a perfect world we always try to surround ourselves with other cabins above, below and all sides. Of course one could be unlucky and have loud neighbors or perhaps a screaming baby :(.

Hank

Yes very good advice. Thank you.

We want a window if anything because it's my husband's first cruise (my second).

Balcony is over our budget. Pothole would work but they're only available way at the front of the ship.

The only ocean view cabins on this sailing are on decks 1 & 2.

There are some on deck 2 way at the back. They look like they're quite different than the regular ocean view (layout). Interesting. Do you think it would be very noisy at the back of the ship? Engine or anchor etc?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Forums mobile app

Yes very good advice. Thank you.

We want a window if anything because it's my husband's first cruise (my second).

Balcony is over our budget. Pothole would work but they're only available way at the front of the ship.

The only ocean view cabins on this sailing are on decks 1 & 2.

There are some on deck 2 way at the back. They look like they're quite different than the regular ocean view (layout). Interesting. Do you think it would be very noisy at the back of the ship? Engine or anchor etc?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Forums mobile app

Seems like you have very limited choices.... throw a dart at the deck plan and pick that way. Seriously he'll be fine without a window.... still look at the insides, you'll save money for a few more cocktails!

• 2 weeks later...
Another area to avoid is being under the Pool Deck, lounge chairs will be dragged around early mornings being set up, deck will be hosed down, lots of noise early on that deck.

Oh no, I'm wondering if I should change my room. I just looked on that deck plan thing and we are under the pool. It will be to Alaska in May so maybe not many people will be swimming?

Oh no, I'm wondering if I should change my room. I just looked on that deck plan thing and we are under the pool. It will be to Alaska in May so maybe not many people will be swimming?

I don’t know about an Alaska cruise but on every cruise I have been on they drag and clean loungers and the pool decks all hours of the night!!

I would never book under the pool deck....but hopefully it being an Alaska cruise it won’t be as bad...